CBS Fall 2012 Schedule

• Members

Wow, I thought for sure Unforgettable would be renewed. There ratings were good even though the demos were low. Suprised about CSI Miami too. I guess it was between NY and Miami and NY won. Both get the same numbers but I have a feeling they thought Miami should be getting higher numbers on Sunday. Friday is a slow night and for NY to get the same numbers as Miami was the telling tale. I do prefer NY or Miami but loved both shows.

NYC22 was just awful in the ratings.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too bad about Unforgettable. I like it but I could see it didn't generate much "buzz" so I figured it might not make it.

I was watching A Gifted Man but not totally loving it. It just seemed like they couldn't decide what the focus of the show was supposed to be. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be more like Ghost Whisperer, with the focus on the dead wife appearing and counseling the doc. But he had plenty of living people around him to give him a kick in the conscience and her presence wasn't all that great anyway (quantity or quality). Add in a flaky sister, her flaky boyfriend, and the flaky male doctor at the clinic and it was quirky character overload.

I stopped watching Mentalist earlier this season--bored with the redundant formula, the Red John arc, the characters and just watching smug Patrick make the team look like helpless idiots without him every episode. Plus it pretty much jumped the shark for me when VanPelt got lost in the woods with the hooker and began hallucinating her dead boyfriend.

• Members

2012-2013 CBS Schedule (N=New, NT=New Time)

MONDAY

8:00-8:30 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

8:30-9:00 PM PARTNERS (N)

9:00-9:30 PM 2 BROKE GIRLS (NT)

9:30-10:00 PM MIKE & MOLLY

10:00-11:00 PM HAWAII FIVE-0

TUESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM NCIS

9:00-10:00 PM NCIS: LOS ANGELES

10:00-11:00 PM VEGAS (N)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM SURVIVOR

9:00-10:00 PM CRIMINAL MINDS

10:00-11:00 PM CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION

THURSDAY

8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY

8:30-9:00 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN (NT)

9:00-10:00 PM PERSON OF INTEREST

10:00-11:00 PM ELEMENTARY (N)

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 PM CSI: NY (NT)

9:00-10:00 PM MADE IN JERSEY (N)

10:00-11:00 PM BLUE BLOODS

SATURDAY

8:00-9:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY

9:00-10:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY

10:00-11:00 PM 48 HOURS MYSTERY

SUNDAY

7:00-8:00 PM 60 MINUTES

8:00-9:00 PM THE AMAZING RACE

9:00-10:00 PM THE GOOD WIFE

10:00-11:00 PM THE MENTALIST (NT)

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/cbs-2012-13-schedule-two-half-men-moves-to-thursday-the-mentalist-to-sunday/

• Members

My thoughts:

Moving 2.5 Men to Thursday at 8:30 after Big Bang while moving 2 Broke Girls to Monday 9pm anchor slot, a big surprise. I like 2 Broke Girls & got great ratings last year, but I think it needs another season of seasoning before it's ready to anchor, part of it's success was being sandwiched between HIMYM and 2.5 Men. I would have either kept it at 8:30 with Partners going to 9:30 behind 2.5 Men or Partners at 8:30 and 2 Broke Girls at 9:30 and move Mike & Molly to Thursday. Yeah, that 8pm Thursday hour with BBT & 2.5 Men is going to be a power hour, but they are risking their Monday nights. If Partners flops (which I really hope it won't), 2 Broke Girls will the new 9pm anchor with no lead in support. Plus, 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly are totally incompatible.

Tuesday's, I know they don't want to mess with success, but I'd consider splitting up the NCIS twins and use them to launch new shows, especially this year with all the other networks airing comedies Tuesday at 9pm, CBS will be the only network airing any drama's that hour.

Wednesday's, while both CM and CSI are solid, Survivor is getting very long in the tooth. If it has another poor ratings season like this past one, it might be time to reduce it to 1 cycle a year & share a time slot with Amazing Race and put a drama here at Wed 8pm.

Thursday's: Quite the power house night, BBT & 2.5 Men will probably the strongest scripted hour on tv, but I also feel they are wasting the BBT lead in on an aging show. Yeah, it'll give POI a better lead in, but what's the long term plan? Do they plan to eventually expand comedy Thursday and move 2.5 to Thursday 9pm? There's got to be more them moving 2.5 Men and risking their Monday night's than giving POI a better lead in, which is growing on it's own.

Friday: I think Made in Jersey is DOA and would have probably been more compatible with The Good Wife.

Sunday: Feel sorry for fans of The Mentalist, this could have been a huge show had they Originally kept it in it's Tuesday 9pm slot, now after spending years being CBS best 10pm performer, it's moving to the timeslot where CBS sends it's aging drama's to die in 2 seasons or less, plus your show will never start on time.

• Administrator

I guess CBS solved their Post-TBBT slot problem. TBBT/2.5 Men should be a powerful combo. I think Parnters needs to do really well or else the Monday lineup will be vulnerable. I agree about having Survivor on for 1 cycle a season. And since Rules of Engagement fans are used to half seasons, they could slot ROE plus another comedy in Survivor's place.

• Members

Yeah and as much as I wanted a 2 hour comedy block on Thursday, CBS may be smart to wait. Let ABC and NBC make the first moves by overloading their schedules with comedies this season & depending on well they do, CBS can expand later. NBC Thursdays will still be in disarray for another 2-3 years (being kind, more likely 4-5), Grey's will continue to be an aging-softening hit, and POI will be stronger position to move. I'd guess, CBS probably still has 2 more seasons to expand comedies if they want to before the window of opportunity closes.

Nina Tassler of CBS said that they are still in discussions with Rules of Engagement and they are still considering picking some of the five comedy pilots they initially passed on, so if that happens I guess some sort of Comedy Expansion could be in store for Mid-Season.

• Members

The problem with Survivor isn't how often it's on, the problem is Jeff Probst is a shitty, biased host, and the show is obsessed with returning players (usually Jeff's favorite men), hollow gimmicks and alpha males and goes into a poutfest when this doesn't happen.

Survivor also costs a lot less than their comedies, most of which flop anyway.

• Members

I agree with everything you said in regards to Survivor and why I stopped watching, but I also think 1 cycle a year could help slow the decline. Really, they probably should just cancel it.

Most CBS sitcoms don't flop. The only true comedy flop they've had in a while was, How to Be A Gentleman. What happens is CBS always cancels a sitcom or two to make room for new ones, even if the show being canceled is doing well. Rob, which CBS canceled averaged about 11 million total viewers an episode, almost double what NBC's highest rated sitcom The Office did this year. I wouldn't call that a flop, just not good enough for CBS

The only drama I see that CBS is "actively" trying to kill is maybe The Mentalist. All the other returning dramas pretty much stayed in their timeslots and perform well. NCIS: LA could move (and I think should move) and I think would hold up, but CBS doesn't want to mess with success.

• Members

That's a little different, because CSI: Miami was 10 years old and The Mentalist is only 4. You should be putting your shows with 9+ seasons out to pasture to build up new ones, so you don't end up like NBC did when Friends, Frasier, Will & Grace, ER, etc all left within a short span of each other. What I consider "actively killing" a show is taking a show that's young, performing well & still has a number of seasons a head of it and maliciously driving down the ratings so you can cancel it.

Archived