OLTL Alum, Brandon Routh (Ex-Seth) Cast In CBS Pilot

John

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I forgot he was the lead in that movie. He was absolutely atrocious. I don't understand how he got that role. Didn't he have audition? He got the gig on Chuck where he was just as bad and now this new role. I don't understand the decision-making in Hollywood sometimes.

• Members

But the money people and studio make the final decisions on the casting of those big budget movies. How is it possible that a director can get away with casting a talentless unknown lead for a multi-million dollar movie He must have slept his way through multiple people. It is the only explanation. Although it does remind me of how George Lucas cast that horrible Hayden Christensen as young Anakin when there were so many other talented young actors up for that role.

• Members

That kinda gossip has encircled Bryan Singer since at least when he directed Apt Pupil. It bothers me to some extent--Singer has been an out director basically from the start and I think that plays a part, though it's also no secret that he does seem to like the pretty boys (then again how is that different from the way many women get hired)? I thought Brandon was fine in Superman actually--it was a poorly written movie, but he did better with zero material than I expected, but I chalk lots of that up to movies allowing tons more rehearsal and retakes and shorter scenes than tv (particularly daytime) does--often soap actors who sucked seem to do tolerable jobs in movies. I never saw him in Chuck though.

(And while Superman was a mess, I admit I may give more credit because I think Singer is at least a decent director unlike, say, his XMen replacement Brett Ratner who pretty assuredly does use the casting couch--although of course he also thinks rehearsals are for fags).

• Members

They also quite often can sign on solely on the look of an actor though.

Although somewhat ironically on several levels, apparently Brett Ratner bowed out of doing the upcoming Superman because the studios wouldn't allow him to cast his choice of Matt Bomer (ironic due to him being gay and working with Ratner, due to him being a stronger actor than Routh--maybe the studio learned their lesson-- and the fact he was also on Chuck). Though I think Henry Cavill is a better choice anyway...

• Members

Okay, I just checked out Bryan Singer on IMDB. I had no clue who he was before I saw his name here. He produced X Men: First Class which I consider to be the best X-Men movie with a fantastic cast. As a result, I am giving him a pass for Superman Returns. Everyone can have a dud now and then. However, anyone who gives Routh a job after that the debacles with Superman Returns and Chuck has problems.

I had no idea that Matt Bomer was up for the Superman lead. I don't find Henry Cavill particularly charismatic, I think he is the much better choice for Superman. I actually would have gone with the underappreciated Paul Walker as Superman.

• Members

Singer's a talented director--and comes off in interviews as a fairly thoughtful director (though I suppose you shouldn't judge a director by his interviews)--he broke into the mainstream with The Usual Suspects which I don't think hass aged that well, but... (His new movie is Jack the Giant Killer which I think could go either way...)(

I could see Walker as Superman--wasn't he up for the role at some point (then again, who wasn;'t? I still can';t believe Nicholas Cage came close to getting it...) I do think Cavill can pull it off, he managed to make fairly anonymous stuff like Invincibles watchable, IMHO, but I don't really see why the execs were against casting Bomer. As little as I think of Zac Snyder as a director, after last year's misogynistic mess Sucker Punch particularly, but he is a better director choice than Ratner anyway.

• Members

Not sure why Superman is now supposed to look dirty and overmuscled. Then again that's what movies are now I guess...

Routh is just a blank slate. I guess he might have a good deadpan for a sitcom. Surely this can't be any worse than racist garbage like Two Broke Girls, or the living hell of Two and a Half Men.

• Members

They seriously were going to with Nicholas Cage? Incredible. The man is way too old and has had too much plastic surgery. I didn't know anything about the casting for Superman until I read it here. I can't believe that Walker was up for the role and he was passed over. Hollywood is such a weird place. Walker is goodlooking, talented, and charismatic. Instead, they go with Cavill who is just okay. They could have been against Bomer because he is gay, but I would not have cast him in the role either because although I think he is talented, he just does not strike me as a star who can carry such a huge movie.

Cavill does not look dirty and certainly is not overmuscled although he will certainly pump up for the role. Based on his preformances on the Tudors, he can easily play the tortured Superman/Clark Kent role.

• Members

Okay, I looked at the pictures. Cavill looks crazy handsome and hot as hell. He certainly does not look dirty. I agree that the muscles are a bit much, but I am pretty sure that it is fake muscles built into the costumes. My only problem is that I don't like the colors of the costume. I think that the blue is too dark. I am really looking forward to the movie. Hopefully, it is good.

Archived