When supercouples become hated

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a hard time believing MR has a preference. All these interviews have pre approved questions and MR is just answering as the show directs her to. Based on how MA has been treated by Corday and company for years I have no problem thinking they are trying to push Daniel/SC. As for MR's acting thats on her. I just don't happen to find her good or compelling with anyone.I take that back her work with CC was decent

• Members

I agree because IMO what good are these couples stuck together for years in stale story... what grates my nerves is to read when "shippers" say "they belong together"

HUH? this is a soap opera for me its not very dramatic yes I like certain characters to play out together in a storyline they can last a time but by no means should the storytelling be stifled in order that they "must stay together."

I look at Niki Newman who has been verbally abused for over a decade by Victor and/or Blair who has been called the biggest ..wh...in the territory by Todd & Elizabeth Webber who pines after a man who has physically/verbally abused her debased in her own house & can only wonder how can you love a man like this? Yet they do IMO this is one of the many reasons why soaps are dying a lot of women can't get into this old school way of telling stories...

• Members

God knows I love my supercouples -- Quint and Nola, Greg and Jenny -- but I think what was so great about them BITD was that they weren't allowed to overstay their welcome, if you know what I mean. Of course, DAYS tried avoiding this by bringing out new supercouples as soon as the old(er) ones were married off; unfortunately, by doing so, DAYS basically became like a supercouple factory, pumping out entire lines of pairings who were "meant to be" before we had the chance even to learn their names.

• Members

I can only speak my own opinion of Zendall. Initially I thought she was too young for him and was skeeved out. I thought for sure they were gonna pair him with Erica. (This was her Las Vegas dancing days; lol). Then when they got together, there was a lightness that came about, for both Lish and Kaye that made me start to like them together. I think I started to dislike them around their second marriage and they became part of the Sextet of Suck That Ate the Show. Zack grew more misogynistic with each episode, growling and barking, often when uncalled for. I was finished with Zack when he murdered Josh for his heart. Didn't like him one bit after that, and was happy when Kendall was starting to move on with Grif.

I did, however like the "Always, only, you" through line that was threaded thru their relationship.

• Members

Ditto cct. Technically Kendall was only supposed to be 14 years younger than Erica, so I think on paper anyway, Zach and Kendall were closer together in age than they looked on the show. unsure.png I liked Zach but between fathering Bianca's baby without talking to Kendall about it first, flirting with Reese while Kendall was in a coma, and then shooting Josh for his heart, I lost all love for Zach. Once all of that happened, I couldn't for the life of me understand why Erica was okay with her daughter being with that man after all of that.

• Members

I disagree here, at least as far as RoJohn/Isabella goes. I remember when just before (or just after - in that window, anyway!) Wayne Northrop returned as Real Roman, there were numerous letters about how viewers wanted RoJohn to stay with Isabella. SOD even remarked upon it in the issue around November '91 when Drake and Staci had the cover and were surprised by that reaction. I will agree that Diana/RoJohn were not that terrific, though.

• Members

Zendell was the most popular "official" couple AMC had in the 00's. Rendell was also incredibly popular as well but between Rylee and Zendell the reunion never happened. Other then those two pairings Jabe was the only other couple that could rival them in popularity on their home soap. Even then though Zendell was still the more popular couple compared to Jabe. I still think Zendell was popular even later on though, however that might just be because AMC had no new couples that ignited in it's final years. If there was hatred toward Zendell is was most likely due to insane amount of airtime they had, but then again the whole Slavery set suffered much of the same problems.

It disgusted me that Kendell slept through all of the Cambias men within three years of each other. Micheal, Ethan and Zach all in three years. excl.png

Zach systematically destroyed the character of Kendell and everything she was supposed to be. She was supposed to be a miniature version of Erica who kept self-destructing and was the underdog you rooted for, instead she became this soccer mom character with all these kids and Zach's yes woman. Everything went so wrong once her character was chained to him.

• Members

Over time, Erica was married to a man, nearly engaged to his father, and then engaged to his son, so Kendall being with the Cambias men didn't bother me all that much. It did bother me that both of Bianca's children were Cambias kids as well. Surely there was someone else (other than Ryan) who could have fathered the next generation of Kanes.

But I agree 100% with you on what was done to Kendall's character. I loved her as a self-destructive wounded person who was also selfish and who struck out at others as a way to protecting herself. Plus Bianca had already been firmly ensconced as "the nice one" (God forbid we have a b*tchty lesbian), so having Kendall be the mini-Erica worked for me.

Archived