When supercouples become hated

• Members

That reminds me of another couple that definetely applies here, Lucky and Liz. They remarried 2 months after they divorced in 2007....lol. They used to be HUGELY popular but became so reviled over the years. People thought it was bc of the writing for GV and he didnt quite share the same chemistry with RH as the couple was originally depicted when they started but JJ returned and they were even worse.. Most people were beyond done with Lucky and Liz by the time he left this last time

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, I was just surprised they didn't have more ambiguity, ie, we'll always love Cliff and Nina but this was an easy way out. They just went on full blast. Probably some of the last vestiges of independence at the magazine.

I always thought Skye/Jax were called "SkyJax," as there was controversy over that, or whatever.

• Members

The Nina and Cliff reunion was really rushed. She was only back for about a month. I think most of the blacklash is that couples get tired and played out. Most had fans in the very beginnings, but they just get tired and writers/fans refuse to say "This couple is played out, it's time to move on".

• Members

They're an odd case, as they hadn't actually been a real couple since 2006 or 2007. When they got back together it was by default and she wanted Nik. Then when JJ returned, they were together for a few months or so before he told her the only time she was worthwhile was when she was bleeding from a rape. After that he never had any interest in her.

I guess "Shick" are another example - I no longer know anyone who wants this pairing.

• Members

Hmmm. Supercouple I dont know that any couple in the past 15 years can come close to supercoupleish.True supercouples were really more a thing of the 80's with the larger than life stories and romances. They dont write couples or stories like that anymore and the pace of creating and playing out couples and story today is so much faster they get played out sooner.I like aspects of the supercouple, the fantasy of the fact that there is only that one true person you belong with but that shouldn't preclude breakups and other relationships be allowed to develop. It strengthens characters and allows then to explore other aspects of their personalities.The problems is that unless an actor leaves this doesnt happen anymore.

Cliff and Nina I clearly remember as the mags blasted AMC for caving to the pushback on Cliff and Angie. I don't think the reunion with Cliff and Nina was hated en masse by viewers. It was more due to the reason for the reunion that they were blasted.

• Members

I am not sure the situations are compareable. Liz and Lucky were a popular teen romance that never moved beyond that while Shick had a 10 plus year adult relationship that has many peaks and valleys they did survive. Shicks breakup was also well done and understandable being unable to comfort each other over the loss of their child. As for no one wanting them anymore where here? I still see a lot of support for Shick offline and on other boards. A well penned story can change anything.I don't particularly care about Shick, Phick, Shadam or whover either.

• Members

I agree about Shick, there arent many who still want them back together, heck the actors playing the couple dont want them back together lol. MAB did a hatchet job on all Y&R couples, but none more so than Shick.

VMG two returns to GH turned viewers off on both her popular pairings Jax/Brenda, and Brenda/Sonny.

• Members

I wasn't comparing the situations - I was just naming another supercouple who became hated.

I don't go to every board, but I haven't seen any real support for them here, or at TWOP, or Daytime Confidential.

The show did the "Shick" and "Phick" back and forth for years, but something seemed to change after that story where Nick repeatedly had sex with a mentally ill Sharon and they were going to reunite to "be a family." Once that ended, the show has never gone back. I always just assumed, rightly or wrongly, that fans were repulsed and, combined with SC wanting "Shadam" and Morrow wanting "Phick," it was killed for good.

• Members

Well in all fairness I dont see a lot of support for a lot of couples here, which is kind of good as it tends to be more about story here than couples and DC is all agenda. RC is some sort of incarnation of Bill Bell and Agnes Nixon if DC was some sort of barometer. Lane are popular and other than Facebook and Twitter they are hated everywhere else. I am not advocating any of them because most don't interest me. I do think the last story for Shick hurt them but that doesn't translate to me that somehow they are ruined and no one could like them. But I don't think Y&R has a writer on staff that can pen a good story for them anyway. Looks like one again MAB is rolling out the Adam redemption tour.

• Members

I'm not just talking about here - I've seen a lot of boards which hate Y&R but sometimes I see support for Shadam, Phyllis/Ronan, etc. I can't remember the last time I saw someone who wanted Sharon and Nick to get back together.

• Members

SOC, Soaps.com have a ton of Shick fans. Facebook tends to go with whatevers the show is pushing at the time regardless of show. As I said I don't personally care. I see fans on MB'S gushing over dull Jason and Sam or Patrick and Robin and they have to be duller than any couple even Lane.

Archived