When supercouples become hated

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greenlee and Leo were arguably as popular as Zendall.

I think JR and Annie had a passionate fanbase and the potential to be big but they were cut short.

I once liked Zach and Kendall but then Zach became so unlikeable I wanted Kendall to find somebody new.

• Members

Kendell became unrecognizable once she popped out those kids IMO. Kendell should have never had children. Kendell is not soccer mom material nor was she this homemaker type that the show made her out to be. The character never was supposed to be that domesticated. She should have never been saddled with a pregnancy, especially one on top of another. I think I completely disconnected from the character sometime she was in her second coma during the tornado or perhaps even earlier with the "Crash" story. Either way she was completely changed and overhauled as a character and I was never able to "get" who she was anymore. But to be honest Kendell's best time as a character to me was when she first came back and when she was dealing with Micheal Cambias that 02-03 time period. That was the last time her character had any sense of purpose or direction to me. Once Kendell reconciled with Erica most of the meaning of her character was lost.

I would say they (Greenleo) were more popular then Zendell, by far actually. I for some reason always associate Greenleo with the 90's though along with Gillian and Ryan. Those were probably the last young super pairings the show really had along with Rendell. Zendell and Jabe had much smaller fanfare then those three pairings did.

Jannie or whatever they were called came in far too late to have any substantial impact IMO. AMC was on death's door in terms of ratings, soap media press and general popularity that I doubt any new couple created after 06/07' could be called popular in the same way Zendell and Jabe were. Maybe moderately successful. But once the show dipped down to steady 2.1's, 1.9's and 1.6's nothing on this show IMO could be called "popular" anymore.

• Members

AM much like every actress that followed Sarah Brown never played Kendall. Much like Carly they turned her character into a heroine vs antiheroine.But like Carly once Kendalls relationship with Erica became all warm and fuzzy, she lost her rootability. With Zach Kendall became like Victoria Newman has with Villy. A pod with no identity.

• Members

I think Victoria was like that a long time before Bacteria began. That's the default mode for "good" female characters on Y&R. Spineless and dead-eyed.

I think Kendall was still rootable up to the time of things like the "grief sex" with Aidan. That's when Kendall became about things which happened to her, and about Zach dominating her. Before then she still seemed to have some sort of control over her life and was self-destructive but not written as the little woman.

• Members

But they did that with Greenlee too, though. The whole Crash storyline was pretty much written for Kendell to be the long suffering heroine who had not one but two children in the ER fighting for their lives. Kendell was in essence written to be "Greenlee's victim" and she had people like Erica, Ryan, Zach and Babe fighting her battles for her while she cried at the hospital. It was the ultimate sympathy/victimized mother card. Sabine!Greenlee was more like Kendell then Kendell herself was. Kendell wasn't in a similar position she was in for a long time before that. I think that's the very reason I hated the crash storyline. Kendell always worked best as the outsider doing her worst/best to crawl herself into the inside and having everything that she did backfire on her and blow up in her face. That's who Kendell is supposed to be. But then she became this popular stepford wife that everyone loved and it never made any sense to me.

• Members

I disagree. As "hot" as Jacob Young and MCE looked together, even couples who aren't the warm-and-fuzzy kind need a certain chemistry to keep going. At best, their initial hookup was a good spoiler for Annie and Adam's marriage.

• Members

I just think there was potential because they seemed to be already getting pretty popular before MCE left. Maybe that would have died down if she stayed and they became a real couple.

Zach and Kendall's relationship became so imbalanced. I hated it when Zach acted like Kendall was responsible for all their problems.

• Members

I feel like both JR and Annie's characters were both complete and utter trainwrecks who brought down every character they were partnered with. So I have no warm feelings for them regardless but it does seem like they were well liked in AMC's last years. I personally can't find anything likable about the cartoon version of Annie people loved nor can I find anything about JR's sociopathic behavior rootable but C'est la vie. I would say the last couple on AMC that could have been really popular was Breese - the gay community was behind them 1,000% and they had a lot going in their favor, until they backtracked with Reese's character and paired her with Zach and made Bianca crazy for Zach's sperm. I think that was the last time AMC really had the potential for creating a flagship pairing in it's last years. It's sad to see how Pratt completely destroyed it (and everything else) under his tenure.

Archived