Why Did Beth Ehlers' Stint on AMC Fizzle?

• Members

Wasn't the character at first being developed by James Harmon Brown and Barbara Esensten but prior to the arrival they were fired and Charles Pratt Jr brought in. I think they were going to make the character different and more aless wrote for Beth Ehlers since they had written for her on GL. I not sure but that it stuck in my mind for some reason.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't see that at all. All I could see was a novice in his 20s playing opposite a 40 year-old veteran actress, supposedly as equals. I didn't know if we were supposed to think Taylor was younger or Brot was older but, either way, it just flatlined for me. It's nothing against the concept of older/younger characters being paired romantically but it's usually mentioned or incorporated into the story somehow. This was more like trying to pretend it didn't exist and his lack of experience just made it worse.

Something else I think may have been significant as to why the character failed: Taylor came off almost immediately as harsh. angry, damaged, etc. and the audience had to just take her that way, having not gone along for the ride, so to speak. When Harley on GL came off that way (whether it was Ehlers herself or not,) you knew why or could imagine why because you had seen what came before. Whether you liked it or not, you could see Harley's reasons for being that way. Sometimes I think introducing a character that way (bitter and angry without having seen her backstory), who's supposed to be a "good guy", not a villain, can be a turnoff.

Too bad they didn't do more with Taylor & Tad.

• Members

I don't blame ANY actor for jumping ship. I agree with Zimmer; GL should've been cancelled in 2004. After reading and hearing about the ridiculousness of GL behind the scenes for its final 5 years (especially the Peapack part) I don't blame anyone. Look at Laura Wright. She's gotten 3 additional years of work out of her jump from GL to GH.

• Members

Yeah, I don't ever remember seeing or hearing rumors that Luner was set to play Skye. I know fans thought she would have been a better fit for Skye.

Ehlers was definitely originally slated to come in as Liza and to be plopped into the middle of a triangle with the Martin brothers.

• Members

The show was trying to recreate Gus & Harley & didn't go over well, especially since Jamanda was starting to become popular.

JR Martinez became well liked by viewers, from what I remember reading most didn't seem impressed with BEh or her acting.

I always thought it funny that Pratt would think that BEh's storyline was boring given he wrote it LOL

• Members

Off topic but I hate that every Amanda couple is called "Jamanda". It's incredibly difficult to differentiate between her past relationships because all of her leading men's first names start with J. Jaime, JR, Jake, Jonathan, etc.

Archived