Why Did Beth Ehlers' Stint on AMC Fizzle?

• Members

Given how well she did on GL, does anybody know why Beth Ehlers' stint on AMC fizzled so badly? Obviously, ABC was hoping to win over GL viewers, which is why they paired her with RPG (who had a much more successful time on the show).

While it was reprehensible for her to blame J.R. Martinez for her problems on AMC (by the way, aside from blaming him, what bad things did she specifically say about Martinez?), I still feel sorry that her daytime career ended so terribly. I guess the only silver lining was that she was spared from having to move to Los Angeles.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I felt both Beth and RPG were horrible miscast in their roles. RPG got away with it because he could hide behind MEK and replicate his style of humor. But even then his Jake was pointless and was a Martin in name only. Beth didn't have anyone or anything to hide behind and she suffered greatly for it. But the whole veteran storyline they featured her in was dreadful from the very beginning.

• Members

I felt really bad for Beth. She was beginning to fit in post-Tornado when they brought JR in. I never saw the appeal of JR. He was not a good actor. He did not share charisma with his screenmates. I hate that Beth was sacrificed for him. She had so much potential.

She was actually pretty good in her all too brief pairing with RPG. I think she and MEK were good together too.

• Members

Taylor was great as a character early and I dont think she fizzled till they put her with Brot. I liked them and thought they worked better than she and Jake but that really was a dead end couple. Its too bad they never did anything with them. She and Tad were awful and had no potential. That never took off either and she was gone.

• Members

Agreed..another thing we agree with....:) I was so sick of them on GL so when they headed to AMC....i was one happy viewer.....but then Beth gloated about her switch to AMC. RPG is just a ewwww actor...I never liked him on AW, GL or AMC. I dont know what all the hoopla was about him.

• Members

Ehlers has struck me as having a rather cold and unlikeable persona. She gave so many disgusting interviews there in 2008 with her GL exit and later I did read her stuff about Martinez who's now more famous than she has ever been.

Not to mention Ehler's string of affairs with co-stars and ruined marriages have really tainted my opinion of her own personal judgement.

Never saw Goldin's work on AMC as I never watched the show but I did think Goldin was okay on AW and Y&R but his time on GL became horrendous especially 2006-2008.

• Members

I guess that is a matter of opinion. Watching JR in a scene is very painful for me because I want to like him, but his diction is so forced. Even in his latter days, it was like he was in a bad school play. I feel like he got by in the final days of AMC because the overall quality of the program had diminished to the point of embarassment.

Archived