Catherine Hickland says that behind the scenes at OLTL was toxic.

• Members

Q. The years we’re talking about today, 1984-88, were pretty much the heyday of “Clint” and “Viki.” From your perspective, what was it about “Clint” and “Viki” that made them so popular?

A. I think it was family values. “Clint” and “Viki” were about the only couple on daytime t.v. making a positive statement about marriage. It was family. The kids were raised well and weren’t getting into trouble.

But they couldn’t leave it alone. They had to have “Viki” go out and do the things that female characters on other soap operas were doing. Things that Viki would never have done.

Q. Even after “Clint” and “Viki” were split up, fans kept waiting for them to get back together. I have my own theories about why. What are yours?

A. Even before I saw the ratings, I was very comfortable working with Erika. It just came naturally. She was a professional. She was on time, she knew her lines, she didn’t trip over the furniture. We had chemistry. Some people might call it “magic.” I think the audience watching had the sense that they had sneaked up to the window and were watching two people really having a relationship, not just two talking heads. People listening to each other, like in real life.

Q. Erika Slezak was very vocal last summer about not wanting a “Clint” and “Viki” reunion.

A. She’s entitled to that.

Q. Have you discussed the issue with her?

A. No.

Q. Do you have any idea why she was so dead-set against a reunion?

A. I have my suspicions, but I wouldn’t put a $20 bill on the table betting on them.

I would have liked to see them go a different way with the storyline than they did. But if Erika has personal reasons for not wanting to do it, while I’m sure she’d act her ass off, it would be hell for her if she didn’t want to do it. And maybe the “magic” wouldn’t be there again.

http://www.clintritc...t-january-1999/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Erika has been very candid about her issues with Clint Ritchie in the last several years. He was apparently a difficult man to work with at a number of points, for a variety of reasons. I've heard any number of rumors and I don't know which have a basis in fact.

What she has said is that as difficult as he could be, they had great chemistry together and the characters' relationship was very important to the show. She's been candid, yes, but very complimentary of him as a scene partner and actor, and very kind since his passing.

• Members

Ok, now you HAVE to spill!

I love Cat Hickland's portrayal of Lindsey on OLTL and like the image she projects. Honestly, she seems like somebody who would be enormous fun to hang out with. Plus she's dynamic and a go-getter. She comes across well in the Branco interview (the way she talks about MEK is admirable) -- until that bit when she said she would shoo people out of her dressing room if they wanted to gossip/bitch about people. Honey, please. She and Hilary B Smith were two peas in a pod! And it wasn't just trash-talking people behind their backs -- it was feeding rumors/information to Caroline Hinsey, Stephanie Sloan and other members of the soap press, too.

• Members

Bingo. Catherine Hickland talked so much sh*t behind the scenes at OLTL. She's a gossip queen. She and Hilary B Smith, as you perfectly put it, were peas in a pod on that set. They fed Hinsey and Sloan so much garbage about other cast members over the years they should be ashamed of themselves.

The difference between Hilary and Catherine is that Hilary had the smarts to keep her head down, interview wise, you never see her publicizing herself to any great degree. Catherine is very outspoken, hoping that if she's louder than the rest that nobody will notice her bullsh*t. She's a cheerleader all right, for her own good press!

Robin Strasser, though a pain in the ass to work with because of her perfectionism, was not a gossip on the set. She and Erika Slezak demanded professionalism and by in large they got it from those they worked with, be they cast or crew.

I loved Catherine Hickland as Lindsay, but I won't tolerate her 'holier than thou' nonsense, she's just pissed off that she's too old and sun damaged for Frons to have a boner for her like he did with Rebecca Budig.

Archived