Catherine Hickland says that behind the scenes at OLTL was toxic.

• Members

I actually went and bought Nelson's little weekly magazine. Catherine Hickland is so awesome and outspoken.

What a dishy read. I find this interesting because it has always seemed that way to me. That behind the scenes at OLTL must have been an absolute nightmare. She says some of it stems from the show's reputation as a red headed stepchild, but that there was so much gossip and backbiting, and that bad behavior was rewarded.. She claims that she was a huge OLTL fan since 1979 and she would always compliment the actors on the show, and they would always say the same thing- It was hell behind the scenes..she heard all the stories when she was on Loving too, and it was pretty well known at ABC..

She does say that Lindsey is her favorite character of all time but Capitol was her favorite show to work on.

I have my opinion on who the [!@#$%^&*] stirrers were at OLTL, and sadly they were some of my favorite actors..

Totally random post but I found it interesting.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Without a doubt! Robin and JDP were first in my mind.. And Phil Carey and Clint Ritchie were notorious, so I guess RSW would make sense..... Robin, god bless her, must have been a TERROR to work with, I don't care that Erika loves her ( Erika to me was so far removed from any hardcore drama, probably by her own doing, but also due to the fact that she IS Erika)

I thought RSW was pretty fun backstage, only thing I ever heard in the 90's was that he only wanted to be paired with young women...

It seems that people complained alot and were constantly unhappy.

After thinking about this- the rapidly changing visions for OLTL by every regime, must have taken its toll. Most of the 80's vets loathed Linda Gottlieb, and then I think everything just spiraled with every regime after that. Hell, there are horror stories as far back as Joe Hardy (Is that his name?) Look at how Lillian Hayman and Ellen Holly were treated by Rauch..

Catherine said that OLTL was overrun by fear and fear brings about lashing out..

• Members

HERE IS SOME OF IT~ From Nelson Branco's Soap Opera Unsensored--

I can’t tell you why, or who made it so obviously toxic, but it was very clear to me who the troublemakers were and the people who caused these vibes. It was very covert. When I joined the show permanently, which was shortly after I began, I said to myself, “OK: I’ll be fine. I’m going to keep to myself and stay in my room. I’ll make a few friends, but just do my work, and go home and mind my own business.” People would come into my dressing room to gossip, but I told them to leave. It’s like 8 a.m. and people were already going at it. It’s like, I haven’t even had my coffee yet: Get your own dressing room! Please don’t do that in my dressing room. It really bugged me.

Also, as in corporate culture, bad behaviour was rewarded best. And that always creates chaos. It was not an easy place to work, therefore that’s why it wasn’t my favourite show; however, Lindsay was my favourite character because I loved playing her. [Conversely,] CAPITOL’s executive producer John Conboy would get rid of you if you caused trouble. And that’s the way it should be. Every business should be run that way. You don’t like it here? You’re complaining? You’re causing trouble? Please leave because a lot of people want your job and it will be very easy to replace you. When you run a business like John Conboy, you don’t have a toxic environment.

• Members

I <3 Cat. :)

I'm surprised it was hell behind the scenes there. I thought it would have been better than that. GH was the one I always thought it would be hell to work on.

First name that sprung to my mind was Phil Carey. Just watching those blooper reels I could tell that. Don't think RSW was like that though. Never struck me as that way. Especially the times he seemed to get upset with Phil and Clint Ritchie during those reels because they were acting like kings.

• Members

I've heard this before, but at the same time I'll look at the blooper reels and it really does look like everyone is having fun (although Phil Carey does come off as more agitated than everyone else). I guess there IS a difference between the actors interaction with each other versus with the producers (JDP I think belongs in this category--maybe he threw fits with the producers, but in the blooper reels he's laughing harder than everyone else, and he's still friends with a lot of his former co-stars--although having an outgoing, kind woman like Kassie as a wife probably helps in a few of these circumstances laugh.png ).

It's also interesting when you look at just how many couples were created off screen because of this show--other soaps have had this happen too, but it wouldn't surprise me if OLTL had the most. It would be interesting to see how (or if) some of these relationships encouraged backstage drama there (i.e. the DePaivas, TK/SH, Fiona and John, etc.).

Archived