OLTL: Discussion for the week January 2

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At this point I just don't see enough of a difference between them. Mitch is a rapist. Clint is a man who had Nora kidnapped by a man who beat women and was going to rape her. Jessica is also more than fine with men who rape women. Not even getting into the rest of what Clint did, or the many things Jessica has said she knew her alters were doing and she was fine with. The story has gone from poor Jessica losing a good father for an evil one to nasty, destructive Jessica trading in an evil father for a slightly less evil father.

• Members

The difference is, Clint did not intend for Eddie to do any of those things. He did a stupid thing by hiring a loose cannon who he should never have trusted to detain Nora. That is on him, but he was not standing there rubbing his hands together like "aww yeah, Dawson's dad gon rape Nora tonight!"

It was, I think, perhaps a bridge too far to go with the character by having him have Nora abducted by Eddie Ford, but realistically and pragmatically, soaps make these mistakes with established characters all the time. They had Viki-as-Niki taking Jessica to bars to get molested - neither Viki nor Niki would ever do that. They had Nora sleep with Sam to make Matthew. They had Dorian ransom David's marriage to Addie to save Viki's life - bullshit, as was the whole thing where she had Rex injected with heroin. They had Victor/Todd re-rape Marty and steal Hope, which I certainly never thought he would do. Mistakes are made. And Clint's, while bad, was admittedly a mistake but no patch on some of the other stuff I've seen or even what they made Asa do in his later years. Clint regrets it.

Archived