THE HOBBIT: An Unexpected Journey

YRBB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

They're determined to squeeze as much money as possible out of this it seems... rolleyes.gif

I actually don't know how I feel about this.

There's really not enough story in "The Hobbit" to fill three movies, and if they start to include material from the appendices in LOTR, then it isn't really "The Hobbit" any more, is it?

Of course I'll go and see it, and buy the dvd's, but I do have some reservations about it all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Some people really are too much....

I just read in a Swedish newpaper that some whiny old crone is complaining about the movie. Her family apparently took the name Ekenskjöld in the early 2000s, and now she discovered that the leader of the dwarves in The Hobbit is called Thorin Ekenskölde in Swedish, and she doesn't want her name to be associated with characters from fiction.... She claims that she is hurt by this and feels violated, yet she's not a "trouble-maker" (in her own words). rolleyes.gif

I just wonder if she realizes that the name Thorin Ekenskölde appears in the very first Swedish translation of the book, published in 1947!! Since she and her family took the name more than 50 years later you have to wonder what she's whining about.

• Members

Went to see it on Wednesday, and loved it!! I realized before that PJ would have changed a few things, and added other things, so I was prepared for that. And it didn't really bother me. It was every bit as majestic and grand as the three LOTR movies. Martin Freeman was perfect as Bilbo, and the dwarves were great, all 13 of them.

This movie has received quite varied reviews, and I don't understand why. I loved this one even more than the LOTR movies. One of the main reasons for that was no Frodo and Sam! (Ok, a small dose of Frodo, but not enough to bother me). I didn't realize before watching this movie how much I disliked those two.

And the ending.... Wow!

It's going to be a long year until movie nr 2 premieres!!

• Members

The movie was very good. It's not LOTR though, which is beyond excellent, but it is near excellent. The Hobbit story is not nearly as epic but the movie compensates with a lot of humor and amazing special effects. The battle of the stone giants was something to behold. It was nice to see so many of the old LOTR crew turn up in cameos. Can't wait for the second part now.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Finally got the extended version on dvd. I still think it's a wonderful movie, but I have to say that the depiction of the dwarves bothers me a bit. It was the same with Gimli in the LOTR trilogy. I don't understand why PJ felt the need to portray the dwarves like this. Belching contests, bad table manners etc. That dinner scene at Rivendell almost made me cringe. I guess he did it for "comedy" but it makes me irritated. The dwarves are supposed to be an ancient race with a great history, not to mention fierce warriors and skilled craftsmen.

How are we supposed to believe that Erebor was a mighty and sophisticated kingdom when he makes the dwarves act like this?

Archived