Is OLTL the STRONGEST soap to be cancelled? Is it going out the most on top?

• Members

ANd I have no doubt Storm would have said anything but yes--particularly since everytime he has spoken out (rarely) recently, he's made it very clear he'd return in a heartbeat. Didn't they also not ask Max back? I didn't know about Chris being asked--that would have been great even just for a glorified cameo with her whipping people into shape at the BonJour...

I definitely agree that closure and finishing his stories has never been RC's strong point--I do think he often does well with story climaxes (even if it often feels like we're in an endless, repetitive holding pattern for months before we get to that climax) but then the story is either completely forgotten, completely negated, or a combination of the two before there's any resolution.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For all that some fans have complained that PP robbed us of a proper finale for AMC (something I don't really agree with--I actually like the idea of one or two cliffhangers for a soap, if we get a sense of closure for other aspects--otherwise it seems to not be true to the vary nature and enjoyment of soaps), I think under the circumstances I think Broderick did do a very good job of providing an "open" ending.

Weird, I didn't realize she was still doing much work. I admit I find the Judith Light comments slightly weird--she's never been someone to look down on work, even done as favours, and while she is in Other Desert Cities on Broadway, it seems odd she couldn't have spent one of her days off or an afternoont aping a few scenes--although maybe they didn't want to bring back such a major character/actress only to have her to do a Julianne Moore on ATWT style cameo.

• Members

There is no real way to bring Karen back in a Julianne Moore style, as Karen would not have that type of tie to the current canvas. I guess they would have had her in some scenes with Aubrey (ugh). I wish they'd asked Nancy Snyder back for closure with "Christine."

• Members

In over all shape...Yes.

OLTL is ending not in the toilet.

Unlike the final months (not weeks) of AW, GL, ATWT, AMC, PC, Lov/City....

The show is still way watchable than the rest.

The other shows each fizzled out way before they were announced for cancellation.

OLTL had/has more LIFE in it.

Now of course this is only my opinion, which is what only matters to me...lol.

• Members

Ha it's all opinion. I thought the last few months of AMC were strong, and even the K/Swajeski stuff which was largely boring was nowhere near AMC at its worst or the toilet.

I actually thought The City's last 6 months were *GREAT*--the show really found itself after a shaky start, and its ratings were actually the only ABC ratings at the time that were climbing (very very slightly mind you but this was when the other ABC soaps were starting to have rating issues). I'd love to know why you thought it got particularly bad--I still have the final four months on tape (need to digitize them...)

I will agree that my issues aside, OLTL does have more life in it now than it did for most of 2010 or during the Higley era, but...

• Members

I want to say yes, of course, but as someone who is almost 23 years old, knows most of my soap info from books and online, and who has only consistently watched one soap in the last several years (I took a hiatus during most of high school/early college/kept up with the show during busy parts of college and my internship through short recaps)? I can't say my word would mean much here laugh.png .

• Members

Is it going out the most on top? Hell. No.

OLTL is a travesty to daytime. More so than even PASSIONS. Not that that's saying much.

IMO, EDGE OF NIGHT was the show that went out strongest, ATWT after that. Every other cancellation has been justified.

Archived