Is OLTL the STRONGEST soap to be cancelled? Is it going out the most on top?

• Members

I will just say of the previous cancellations and OLTL. When GL was cancelled it was dying dog that needed to be put of it's misery. It really was time for the show to go. The show was definitely ready to go. When ATWT was cancelled I think it still had some time left in it. The show still had some strength. AMC as much as I was sad about it going off the air it was so BAD for so many years. OLTL IMO has been strong ratings wise, creatively, and IMO has so many years left in it. I feel its probably the strongest SOAP to ever be cancelled in the state its in. Thats why its so sad I watched yesterdays brilliant Fraternity Row episode and it made more sad considering this show is so STRONG and it was just a victim of economic times. I am really happy that SoapNET is doing the big old Marathon. OLTL will be my favorite show of all time but I am sad but at the same time I am so glad its going out ON TOP? Its leaving the airwaves with a BANG and not a wimper. Would you guys say of any soap you have seen in recent years is OLTL the STRONGEST soap to be cancelled?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I will say this: OLTL is the one soap that's had the most positive buzz and viewer feedback since around summer 2007 (that's when Asa died, right?) and ever since that time period, it's the one soap that hasn't been universally panned by critics and viewers at one point (other than B&B, but really, who's *really* invested in that one? Jussayin'...)

• Members

2010 wasn't all that well-received. The problem with hype is that it focuses more on the people who make the show than the show itself. That seemed to be the case with RC and FV, who were endlessly hyped at DC and by Branco.

The show has destroyed so many core characters and has so little sense of family or community left.

I think the last bright spot for the show was in 2009, when they had Fish, Kyle, Layla, Cris, Rachel, Sky, and a revived sense of friendship and diversity. That was very brutally destroyed and what was left was rapists and victims and bad camp.

I don't think the show should leave and there are some elements which more than deserve another chance, which is why I was hoping PP would work out. But is the show strong? IMO, it's not.

• Members

ugh no. The most interesting, or rather only exciting story OLTL had since the summer was the Two Todds plot which fizzled out rather quickly after RH was revealed. The show has its moments here and there but I dont find any of the current plots particurly buzz worthy or must see tv. I thought AMC's final month was more entertaining

2010 was the year that made me drop the show bc it was so dreadful. OLTL was an absolute mess

• Members

yeah despite ending on a cliffhanger I think AMC did a great job with wrapping things up and bringing closure to various characters and families and they used old characters to come back and help make that happen. Considering how the PP deal went down, I doubt OLTL will get that. Aside from the FR plot, it doesnt feel as if the show is winding down and ready to resolve anything. These feel like normal episodes and normal plots. It definetly has a different feel and vibe than AMC, whose episodes felt like they were on a mission, leading to a set conclusion., With OLTL, I see no end in sight and thats not a good thing bc I dont think RC is going all out as he might have had they known this was the definitive end

• Members

I think it's just RC's writing style. You can bring closure to a show even if you think it might continue on. RC has never been good at ending stories (again, in my opinion).

They did try to bring back Judith Light and Marilyn Chris, according to RC, and several others have or are returning. The main person I wish had been asked and was apparently not is Michael Storm.

• Members

I think people will always say, "AMC and OLTL had bad finales because of PP," but I think AMC did have closure. Hopefully OLTL will too. I guess we'll see. I just wish I thought RC could end stories properly. Everything is always very short term, with no real consequences, and I think that tends to hurt a lot (ie, the "happy" reunion between Viki and quasi-psycho Clint).

• Members

Yeah Capitol definitely trumps it I think. It was fairly strong ratings wise (and not just because numbers were so much higher in general back then, it also was in terms of soap rankings), and while soapkiller James Lipton was at the helm, it got a number of strong reviews from the soap press (back when they actually were critical) at the time. I'm sure the argument could be made for a few other earlier soaps--certainly creatively wise.

I always seem like I'm defending AMC and maybe I am, but I don't think it's fair to say AMC had been "sooo bad" for so long-- As awful as the end of McTavish's last stint at AMC became, much of it holds up far better than most of OLTL during the '00s, IMHO, and certainly the ratings switch between it and OLTL was a relatively recent thing. At any rate it's all relative and subjective but, as much as OLTL seems to be on a fairly consistent trek right now, especially compared to other soaps, I don't think, looking at the numbers and the soap facts in general, its cancelation is the shock many see it as (and I say this with no joy--I'm getting more and more depressed that it's ending)

• Members

Yes, and this kinda depresses me. Now that we have less than 20 episodes left (I think only 16 actually which is nothing in soap terms), it's getting more and more frustrating seeing stories that seem to be just going through the paces, filling time with things nobody cares about, etc. Hate on the Orpheus story with AMC all one wants (and I was in no way enamoured with it), AMC's last two months even, to me, had a sense of them leading in a good direction and to the best of their ability largely trying to both return the show to its roots and still give fans some of what they wanted.

Archived