How long can they last?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To clarify.

B&B is owned by Bell-Phillip Television, 100% Bell owned and operated.

Y&R is owned, in majority, by Sony Pictures Television, Bell Dramatic Serial Company is a production partner and Corday Productions with an extreme minority share.

DAYS is owned, in majority, by Corday Productions, Sony Pictures Television is a minority production partner.

• Members

I wish shows would try to cut their budgets too and trim casts. But, instead of letting go A popular fan fave and pissing off that person's fans, the show should cut down the 'extras' and when a cast member that is popular leaves on his/her own just leave it that way without having to find a replacement. Too many times shows get rid of 'a name' just to hire another 'name' and all it does is upset the current audience.

Of course, this will hurt shows if they are too character focused on one or two characters (GH Sonny and Jason, for example) and then if they leave the show it wouldn't work. The shows also need GOOD writers that know how to balance.

• Members

I can't speak for everywhere, but I've lived in Italy and France and grew up in South Africa and Australia (and live in Australia now) and B&B is HUGE internationally, especially in Italy. Days of Our Lives and Y&R are pretty popular down here as well (I remember Y&R being big in France) but nothing like B&B. They've tried to get GH on several times down here (it was on for a while in the 90s) but it never seems to catch on.

I think GH will be gone in 2012 and that DAYS, Y&R, and B&B will hang on a little while longer. I think B&B will be the last one standing.

• Members

I think GH is gone in September 2012. B&B and Y&R will likely go at the end of their contracts in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

Amazingly, DAYS may be the last soap standing. KC may ask for a 3 year contract, with NBC offering 1 1/2 years. They could compromise 50/50 at 2 1/4, which would bring it to December 2015, just after it's 50th anniversary.

Archived