How long can they last?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH is done in 2012.

Y&R/B&B i think have a few more years. I think they will be off CBS by 2013, 2014 maybe. I do think they will both go online however.

Days... who knows? Honestly. NBC is crazy and failing as a whole. I do think Days stands the best chance of going to another network. If it is after YR/BB and those two have gone online i can see Days joining it. I wouldnt be shocked if it ended in 2012 or was still on in 2022.

• Members

The biggest problem is the soaps that cut usually tend to keep the worst people. That's what happened with OLTL when they did their great white purge in early 2010. The absolute dregs stayed, people who had devastated the show in 2009, and, surprise surprise, they drove the show to all time ratings lows throughout most of 2010, making cancellation even more inevitable.

• Members

The business savvy where they sat back and let Y&R be gutted beyond repair and let Brad Bell turn B&B into the same few crappy stories involving frozen-faced quasi-whores?

I don't think international appeal will save B&B. It didn't save Santa Barbara.

• Members

Of course, no one can argue with B&B's many shortcomings. However, I'm of the opinion that Papa Bell created and developed B&B because he saw coming the day when Sony and/or CBS would exert more control over Y&R. Ergo, although I wouldn't say they allowed Sony and CBS to gut Y&R, because they do own B&B exclusively, I think that show has become the family's bigger priority (as evidenced by all the former Y&R staffers now working for B&B ).

• Members

No, it didn't. On the other hand, I have this sneaking feeling that if any current soap transitions to the Internet, it's going to be B&B. It might be a streamlined form of it, and it might not last long either, but the fact that Bell-Phillip has international interests with this show tells me they'll do what they can not only to keep this show alive but develop other, future shows for international markets, using the web and other up-to-date platforms.

• Members

Also the fact that it's in a shorter format (19 minutes of content is easy to swallow online for the viewer AND for the production company with little cast-gutting relative to the hour-long shows) means it stands more of a fighting chance. Much as I hate people going on and on about people's dwindling attention spans, I DO find it a challenge to sit through 39 minutes of DAYS online even on a day when I'm 100% hooked and desperate to see what happens next. B&B's format is such that when I view it online, it's less of an undertaking.

I think the fact that the show can move online without gutting their cast to fit a shorter format/reduced budget will be a huge plus for them and I think this is going to work to their advantage in the coming years in a huge way.

• Members

The problem with transitioning B&B is there's nothing left. It's hollowed out and Brad Bell has never done anything to move the show forward, aside from bring in some sets of teens who burn out after a few years. "Hey let's hire some Y&R people" is great, but what does Heather Tom do, have chest pains? Just put on Sanford and Son reruns. That's why dead weight like the Marones seem to never leave. I don't think Susan Flannery would move to an online format, and Hunter Tylo and John McCook are not really much of a sell these days. If they have to promote based mostly on KKL or Ronn Moss that's not a big foundation.

• Members

I was too glib with your comments. I have a lot of respect for Alden, and Shaughnessy, I just think B&B is a very strange beast and I don't think most of the attempts by Alden or Smith or others to change the show have worked. The five-minute social issue stories, the "pose" and berries and the rest - it's not enough to hide the poor foundation. Bill Bell did a good job with the early years of the show and I wish they'd expand on that. At the very least give Felicia a story. Kristen too. Bring in a genuine and entertaining rival for the Forresters, like Sally was.

• Members

A long time ago, on a message board far, far away, I suggested that B&B had the potential of being daytime's answer to 1940's film noirs such as "Double Indemnity" or "The Big Sleep," mixing sordid family melodramas with twisted crime tales on a sunny L.A. backdrop, but that it needed to expand beyond fashion into other arenas, such as the entertainment industry. (You mean to tell me no Forrester has ever thought of getting into film production? And for God's sake, would it kill this family to launch a signature boutique? I'm just saying!) That evaluation holds today.

• Members

Carl, I usually agree with your non-political viewpoints, but the Bells still have the two most popular soaps on daytime television, so they must be doing something right.

Also, when SaBa bit the dust, almost nobody had the internet, so international popularity was meaningless. Pretty soon, a show will be able to make the transition from television to the internet; when you combine that with B&B's international popularity, it changes everything.

• Members

Agreed, B&B and live as long as the international fan base tunes in. Because of the internet, this will soon be true of any television show. Currently, networks produce programming for 300,000,000 eyes; however, soon, CBS or any other network will be fighting for viewers anywhere in Anglosphere, and even the non-English speaking world. We will either have global networks or be able to download much like iTunes music.

Archived