ALL: Non-Exits

• Members

Thanks Mitch! I didn't remember Bea leaving, but I do remember Maureen visiting her I think in 86. I'm almost positive she showed up at Bea's door as we heard, "the role of Maureen Bauer is now being played by Ellen Parker." I also couldn't stand Mandy Bruno as Marina, she added nothing to the character and had zero chemistry with any of the men she was paired with. I did like Frank though, I just didn't understand why they didn't drop him to recurring years ago when they stopped giving him stories, whereas Blake was dropped to recurring, barely used, and never given the story I waited for them to give her-aging her kids & letting them find out and have to deal with Roger, Holly, Ed, Blake and Ross' pasts (beginning with their grandfather's rape of their grandmother). And I too saw sparks between Maureen Garrett and Ron Raines and couldn't wait to see where that story went. Never understood why promising stories were dropped while unwatchable ones seemed to go on forever. And I think we never got the flashbacks of Robert Gentry from his years as Ed in the 60's, which either Paul Rauch or B or E promised we would get when he was rehired. Btw, I don't remember Johnny's parents getting a departure either, but I think his very forgettable sister did.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thinking about Paul Rauch's GL, does anyone remember if the following got proper exits-Alexandra, when Marj Dusay abruptly quit to play AMC's Vanessa? What about India, when the Ross pairing didn't work? The one I'm most perplexed about is Eleni. The show came on at 10am here in NYC so I did get to see it the three days a week I worked the afternoon shift, so I'm not sure if I missed it or if it didn't happen. The last I saw of her before her brief visits was finding out Frank kissed Teri/Annie, then the next I hear she cheated on him and left town, or some kind of nonsense like that (Eleni would never cheat on Frank-unless we saw that story slowly play out before our eyes with great writing that gets us to buy it).

• Members

That's right, I think I remember reading at one point SOD mentioned Alex and India went on a cruise together after getting off-screen exits and wondered why the audience wasn't invited. As for Eleni I don't remember for sure aside from her disgust over Frank's kissing Teri/Annie and eventual drifting apart. I don't think I could have stomached to actually sit through Jennifer Roszell as Eleni cheat on Frank it would have been boring just like the other boring Frank and Eleni stories post-Kanakaredes.

• Members

ATWT was phasing out the black cast at this time. It, along with Y&R, was the leader in having black cast members at the time. And then they got rid of the black cast one at a time, as did Y&R to a lesser extent. This is around when CBS Daytime's ratings seriously began to erode, and I don't know WHY they didn't see the connection.

The black community vastly preferred CBS daytime over other networks in the 90s, but once they started getting rid of all the black people, the black audience left too.

CBS didn't need this to be realized which is why Ben Harris left without acknowledgement.

• Members

I mentioned Claire in the first few pages - I guess JFP just kept that as a possibly return, since she worked with Dalia Salem before. Still odd.

I thought India outstayed Alex by about 5-6 months (wasn't she with Alan for a while after she stopped seeing Ross); I didn't realize they were on a cruise together.

They just stopped mentioning Eleni for a while and then suddenly we learned she'd moved to California for her catering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Leslie (Angell Conwell, only remember her name because its my first name sans the extra "l") seems to be a recent example of non-exits. She was everybody's lawyer but since Avery has come on she has vanished. But once again, correct me if I am wrong because I haven't watched a whole lot lately.

Archived