Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

And I'll tell you why you've heard it too many times. The 1996 telecommunications act eliminating the cap on radio station ownership in major markets has given birth to a nasty stepchild. The "Good Time Oldies" station. And this song fits perfectly into their plans. Vastly reduced playlists, DJ's with no power to program their own shows, it all there, my friends. The late 90's is when I stopped listening to music radio with regularity, until two stations out in my rural area who are independently owned came along with decent playlists. "Good Lovin", several Beach Boys songs, Four Seasons, CCR, are all played over and over ad nauseum. The song has suffered from overexposure.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That song was played during Tom Selleck's character's birthday party scene in Three Men and a Baby. That's where I know it from primarily, so to me, it isn't tired (then again, when I listen to the radio, I primarily listen to classic rock and/or alternative rock).

Speaking of which, here's the song from the end credits of that movie, John Parr's "The Minute I Saw You":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOVRjoNcDAE

I love both TM&AB and Three Men and a Little Lady. I hope the third movie winds up being made after all!

• Members

I know... they still have DJ's, but they are little more than window dressing, a hollow shell of what once seemed like an exciting profession. I dated two different DJ's in Kansas City, and found out it ain't as exciting as all that, but as a child, it seemed like a glamour job to me. I miss those weekend shows the most, Dick Clark's rock, roll, and remember.. Reflections, Dr. Demento. The ONLY time I won a contest was one of those "Rush to this payphone for free tickets", and won tickets to see Martha Wash and George Lamond. Then got into a fist fight before the show started and never got to see them! I was bummed.

• Members

Alphanguy, thanks so much for sharing the Olympics' version of "Good Lovin'" (as I had never before listened to it). I actually enjoyed the vocals, though I disliked the instrumentation.

One of the rare instances when a group had a number one hit that wasn't its signature song occurred with the Mamas & the Papas. That band's signature tune, of course, was "California Dreamin,'" but its sole chart-topper was "Monday, Monday," which spent three weeks at number one: the weeks ended 5/7/66, 5/14/66, & 5/21/66.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d4-jS7EZZHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excluding duos, the Mamas & the Papas were the first artist to have a #1 hit who possessed an equal member of male and female members. (Other chart-topping groups like the Platters, the Fleetwoods, Ruby & the Romantics, and the Essex only contained one member of the opposite sex.) The two male members--John Phillips and Dennis Doherty--were both members of folk trios; one night, the Halifax Three (Dennis' group) was the opening act for the Journeymen (John's act), and the two men were introduced to each other. On December 31, 1962, John married an aspiring model and actress named Holly Michelle Gilliam. The newly married couple, along with Denny, soon formed the New Journeymen.

The Mamas and the Papas were actually a fusion of two groups: the New Journeymen and the Mugwumps. Aside from being a New Journeyman, Doherty was at one time also a Mugwump. Some other Mugwumps included future Lovin' Spoonful members John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky. However, that act's other contribution to the Mamas & the Papas happened to be Ellen Naomi Cohen (who was called Cassandra as a nickname), who went under the stage moniker of Cass Elliot. After the Mugwumps' dissolution, Cass went to California to collaborate with the New Journeymen. For a new name, they considered calling themselves "the Magic Circle." But a different idea came about while watching a television show about the Hell's Angels: one of its members stated that "Some people call our women cheap. We call them mamas."

The newly Christened Mamas & Papas released their first single in 1965, "Go Where You Wanna Go." It failed to chart. Then came the iconic "California Dreamin,'" which surprisingly only reached #4 in March 1966. "Monday, Monday"--written by John Phillips--was the follow-up to that record. John was the only member of the quartet who wanted to record the song, though even he admitted that he couldn't figure out what the tune was really about.

The group's remaining top 40 hits are listed below:

"I Saw Her Again" (#5, 1966) [A song about an affair Michelle had with Denny]

"Look Through My Window" (#24, 1966)

"Words of Love" (#5, 1967)

"Dedicated to the One I Love" (#2, 1967) [A song taken to #3 by the Shirelles in 1961]

"Creeque Alley" (#5, 1967) [An autobiographical song about the group]

"Twelve Thirty (Young Girls are Coming to the Canyon)" (#20, 1967)

"Glad to be Unhappy" (#26, 1967)

"Dream a Little Dream of Me" (#12, 1968) [billed as a Mama Cass solo recording, though performed by the whole group]

The Mamas & Papas disbanded in 1968, though they briefly reunited three years later. In 1998, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Mama Cass tragically died of a heart attack on 7/29/74. She was only 32 years old. Denny Doherty died of an "abdomnial aortic aneurysm" on 1/19/07 (age 66). As the only living member of the Mamas & the Papas, Michelle Phillips (currently 68 years old) found great success as an actress once her music career ended. Though she and John divorced in 1970, that marriage produced Chynna Phillips (of Wilson Phillips fame). Mr. Phillips' life came to an end at age 65 as the result of heart failure. Eight years after his 3/18/01 death, actress MacKenzie Phillips (a daughter from another relationship) accused her father of having sexual releations with her.

• Members

Best harmonies of any group ever. They were also very groundbreaking in that they were probably the first "issues" and "soap opera" group, paving the way for the endless head games of Fleetwood Mac, among others, that kept the press agog and kept fans invested.

Monday Monday is OK, although a little confusing, and drab.

They had so many wonderful songs. Some of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xa7NWRJjPQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzG-BP6RYko&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXw76KW_KCg&feature=related

• Members

Michelle has stated that John woke her up in the middle of the night to take dictation, and write the lyrics down to "Moday, Monday", as it came to him in his sleep. He had said once that it is a song with universal appeal, a song about the suckage of Monday morning and having to go back to work. I think the song is perfectly nice, although I like "California Dreamin" and "I Saw Her Again" much better. Mamas and the Papas records are ones you want to seek out the mono single versions, as Lou Adler did not spend much time on the stereo mixes, and several of them sucked. Cass was originally hesitant to be in the group, because she didn't want to feel inferior to Michelle, but she ended up being the star of the group (And rightly so, Michelle had beauty and nothing else to offer, really) When asked about this, Michelle did say that YES... Cass was insecure at first, but when Cass then became the star and the public paid most attention to her, Michelle said all Cass' insecurities went right out the window, and she never looked back. Words Of Love is one of my favorites, and one of the songs that is WAY better in the Mono version, with added horns, and Cass' vocals farther forward in the mix:

Now compare the stereo version and hear how it lacks the PUNCH that the mono version packs:

The most eggregious error in the stereo mix besides the absence of horns in the chorus, is they way Cass' voice is faded on the final note, while it stays at full volume on the mono version. Cass originally didn't even want to record the song, because she felt the lyrics portratyed women as shallow and materalistic, but Lou Adler and Michelle talked her into it.

• Members

By far my favorite song of theirs was "Look Through My Window", it shows best one of the qualities felt by many to be one of the secrets of the group's success, and that is John's vocal arranging capability.

So, as far as the drama goes... do you guys believe any of Mackenzie's accusations? I don't, personally. I think she's basically a junkie desperate for money and attention. It's REALLY hard to shock today's society, but she sure as hell did it.

• Members

Cass' solo career was quite successful, she had a total 8 songs in the Billboard hot 100, although many were not huge hits on that chart, she charted far higher on the Adult contemporary charts. As a TV personality and performer, she was just huge, in demand on every variety show because of her witty sense of humor and outgoing personality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_ob7KfTHA&feature=relmfu

Hard to believe this only went to number 36, because it's still playted today and considered a classic. It did, however go to number 6 on the AC chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhriAN7jME

• Members

I don't know what to believe about John and Mackenzie Phillips. I thought the publicity tour was a questionable decision.

Make Your Own Kind of Music is such a full out song for acceptance, which will always just get so far, even in that era. And, as much as I love the song, I think her voice is a little harsh on the recording, at times. I do love the song though, and I'm glad they revived it for Beautiful Thing.

I also like this a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqOMuR5Z530&feature=related

• Members

Carl, part of the problem is that the current version of "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" in circulation was remastered in 1996 for the MCA greatest hits compilation, and besides being overly compressed, the EQ on the rematers SUCKED, and was VERY midrangey. It sounds much better on the original vinyl, the CD of "Mama's big Ones" from the 80's, and the Japanese CD reissues. Here is the version from Mama's Big Ones:

• Members

I really don't know what to believe regarding the allegations against John Phillips. Chynna Phillips believes MacKenzie, but Michelle does not.

In my opinion, "Monday, Monday" is an OK song, but not one of the Mamas & the Papas' best. I like both "California Dreamin'" and "Dedicated to the One I Love" (among others) better.

Percy is an unusual name, but at least two Percys have topped the Hot 100. In 1960, Percy Faith & His Orchestra had a monster hit with "Theme from 'A Summer Place.'" Six years later, a very different song--"When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge"--held the peak position for two weeks: the weeks ended 5/28/66 & 6/4/66.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7lp7FtJXp7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Percy Sledge was born on November 25, 1940 in Leighton, AL. Prior to going solo, he gained musical experience as a member of an R&B group called the Esquires Combo. That job, however, was not sufficient to pay the bills, so he also worked in construction until he was terminated in late 1965.

While Sledge was fortunate enough to find a new position as a hospital orderly, more heartbreak came when his girlfriend dumped him to pursue a modeling career. It was against this backdrop that Percy wrote "When a Man Loves a Woman," his first release on Atlantic Records. During the recording session at the Norala Sound Studio in Sheffield, AL, Sledge was assisted by organist Arthur Wright and bassist Cameron Lewis. As a token of gratitude, he assigned songwriting credit to these two men (even though as I mentioned earlier, the song was actually written by Percy).

Percy's career was rather short-lived. He only had four more top forty hits, listed below:

"Warm and Tender Love" (#17, 1966)

"It Tears Me Up" (#20, 1966)

"Love Me Tender" (#40, 1967) [A cover of Elvis Presley's song]

"Take Time to Know Her" (#11, 1968)

Though fame was fleeting, Sledge can take comfort in that he was one of only two black artists (Aretha Franklin was the other) not from Motown to reach #1 during the 1965-67 period. And, not only does "When a Man Loves a Woman" remain one of the most recognizable soul ballads of all-time, it is also one of nine songs to top the pop chart by two different artists. (In 1991, a cover version by Michael Bolton--that I consider inferior when compared to the original--reached the chart summit.)

Archived