Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

"Lightnin' Strikes" was succeeded at #1 by Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walkin.'" Despite being one of the most iconic songs of the decade, "Boots" only held the peak position for one week: the week ended 2/26/66.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MnQcExGaEvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The oldest child of Frank Sinatra and Nancy Barbato (Frank's first wife), Nancy Sinatra was born on June 8, 1940 in Jersey City. While still a young girl, her family moved to Los Angeles. Though Nancy planned to major in economics at USC, she ended up dropping out in order to study music. She made her official national debut in 1960 on "The Frank Sinatra Timex Show: Welcome Home Elvis" (an ABC special that was Presley's first post-Army television performance). That same year, Nancy began a five-year marriage to heartthrob singer/actor Tommy Sands.

Nancy's first single, "Cufflinks and a Tie Clip," made zero impact upon being released in 1961 (on her father's newly formed label, Reprise). She failed to make the Hot 100 until four years later, when "So Long Babe" stalled at #86. Its follow-up, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin,'" was written and produced by Lee Hazelwood. Lee advised Sinatra to give herself a complete image makeover. "Time" magazine quoted Hazelwood as saying that "You're [Nancy is] not a sweet young thing. You're not the virgin next door. You've been married and divorced. You're a grown woman. I know there's garbage in there somewhere." To further bolster this image, a very provocative, early music video was made that became almost as famous as the song itself. (Despite all the marketing, it should be stated that Nancy later claimed the image Hazelwood gave her was not accurate, stating that "'Boots' was hard, and I'm as soft as they come.")

Nancy also dabbled into acting, starring in several films, including "Get Yourself a College Girl" (1964), "The Oscar" (1966), and (co-starring with Elvis in) "Speedway" (1968). Her other top 40 solo hits are listed below:

"How Does That Grab You, Darlin'?" (#7, 1966)

"Friday's Child" (#36, 1966)

"Sugar Town" (#5, 1966)

"Love Eyes" (#15, 1967)

"Lightning's Girl" (#24, 1967)

She also had some hit duets, most notably the #1 smash "Somethin' Stupid" (1967) with her father. Vocalizing with Lee Hazelwood gave her three more top 40 appearances: "Jackson" (#14, 1967), "Lady Bird" (#20, 1967), and "Some Velvet Morning" (#26, 1968).

In 2005, Jessica Simpson covered "These Boots Are Made for Walkin.'" It peaked at #14, though most of its lyrics were changed from the Sinatra version.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That video for "Boots" is another one of those Scopitone videos that was shot in France, and played in the Scopitone machines throughout the United states and Europe. The song is very unique for it's intro, which is played by an acoustic bass guitar. Since the instrument has no frets, it enables the possibility of playing quarter tones (playing in the "cracks" between notes, if you will) and this is what gives it it's unique sound. Any other cover that tries to use a different instrument in the place of the acoustic bass just doesn't sound right. Another song of great note that Nancy recorded is this.... one of my favorite Bond themes ever.

• Members

My favorite song of hers was actually a big flop... charting at only number 98 on the billboard chart, and that is 1969's "Drummer Man". It's so unique, featuring Hal Blaine in a unique and captivating African beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtzepJhIHk

And the duet "Some Velvet Morning" which Max mentioned earlier was performed on Nancy's 1967 TV special, and the cinematography in the video sequence was just GORGEOUS and inspired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-SVPJM4L4

• Members

That was an excellent RC Cola commercial.

IMO, Nancy Sinatra and Julie Newmar were the sexiest ladies of the 60s.

The 200th chart-topper to be profiled in this thread is "The Ballad of the Green Berets" by Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler. It spent five weeks at number one: the weeks ended 3/5/66, 3/12/66, 3/19/66, 3/26/66, & 4/2/66. (This marked the longest duration at the chart summit since the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" nearly twenty-four months prior.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0y5GDvN9_OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Though he was born in New Mexico, Barry Sadler frequently moved throughout his childhood in order to indulge his parents' gambling obsession. He actually found more stability in his life when he enrolled in the Air Force. In 1962, he was honorably discharged, following a four year stint. Shortly thereafter, he joined the Army and was able to pass the grueling tests necessary for admission into the Special Forces (better known to the common man as the Green Berets). Barry served with distinction in Vietnam, but sadly that service was interrupted in May 1965. According to "The 'Billboard' Book of Number One Hits," Sadler "fell into a booby trap while on patrol. A pungi stake, fashioned from sharpened bamboo and dipped in poison, pierced his leg. Lapsing in and out of consciousness, he treated the wound himself. He was eventually rescued, but suffered a permanent scar and a numb feeling in his leg."

It was while he was recovering that Sadler composed a tune in honor of the Green Berets. (Barry's fascination with music went all the way back to his teenage years. He also wrote and sang in Vietnam, though his fellow comrades seldom seemed to show interest.) Upon giving a draft of the song to publisher Chet Gierlach, it was suggested that another songwriter--Robin Moore--help edit the tune. Subsequently, a low budget recording of "The Ballad of the Green Berets" was made, and was released among military personnel only, becoming a big hit amongst them. When RCA Records got word of this, they asked Sadler to re-record the song, complete with full orchestral backing.

As the Vietnam War was becoming increasingly unpopular (especially among the younger demographic that tended to buy most records), "The Ballad of the Green Berets" became an unexpected smash. (Yet, even if one was completely opposed to that war, this song should be praised for presenting a positive message of the sacrifices the military makes. However, that being said, I still find "The Ballad of the Green Berets" to be a rather boring record.) Barry became a celebrity for a very short time, even appearing on "The Ed Sullivan Show." Not surprisingly, though, Sadler's music career soon ended: his only other chart entry was "The 'A' Team," which reached #28 a few months after "The Ballad of the Green Berets" fell from the top spot.

Barry Sadler would experience considerable trouble and tragedy later in life. According to Wikipedia:

A decade after the Bellamy death came more heartbreak. As Fred Bronson wrote in "The 'Billboard' Book of Number One Hits": "On September 7, 1988, Sadler was shot in the head as he got into a taxi in Guatemala, where he was reportedly training anti-communist Contra fighters. He suffered brain damage in the incident and was hospitalized in various facilities over the next 14 months. He died on November 5, 1989 [four days after his 49th birthday], at a hospital in Murfreesboro, Tennessee."

• Members

Nancy Sinatra had some great songs (my favorite was Somethin Stupid). I never quite thought she had the looks for a sexpot image but she's certainly a legend. I also liked that she did a China Beach episode, as herself (filmed through some gauze it seems).

I never knew about all the tragedies of the man who sang the Green Beret song. That song is used as a benchmark for how out of control America was becoming in this period - that being #1 while anti-Vietnam protests started to seriously gather steam.

• Members

Though far less known than "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" or "Unchained Melody" (the latter of which never reached the peak position), "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration" by The Righteous Brothers was number one for three weeks: the weeks ended 4/9/66, 4/16/66, & 4/23/66.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SP8Tie3OgvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In early 1966, Phil Spector and the Righteous Brothers parted ways (in part because of personality differences). Thus, the duo left the Philles label and signed a $1 million contract with MGM's Verve subsidiary. Despite the loss of Spector, Bill Medley (who now stepped into the role of producer) was able to successfully replicate the "Wall of Sound" effect on "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration," which was the artist's first hit on Verve.

In addition to composing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin,'" Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil wrote "Soul and Inspiration" as well. Weil believed "Soul and Inspiration" to be an inferior song to the Righteous' Brothers first chart-topper. In fact, Mann and Weil were planning to abandon "Soul and Inspiration" midway through writing it, but reversed course only because Medley wanted to record it. Weil recalls telling Medley that "you don't want it, it's a second rate 'Lovin' Feelin.'" Reflecting upon its #1 status, Cynthia proclaimed that "he made this terrific record, but it will always be 'Lovin' Feelin' sideways to me."

"Soul and Inspiration" brought about a surprising end to the Righteous Brothers' string of smash hits. After two modest successes later in 1966--"He" (#18) and "Go Ahead and Cry" (#30)--the duo never again had a top 40 single on Verve. In 1968, Bill and Bobby (temporarily) split up: the former tried a solo career while the latter formed a new version of the Righteous Brothers with Jimmy Walker.

Six years later, the Righteous Brothers once again consisted of (only) Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield. The year 1974 not only marked their reunification, but also represented a major triumph for them on the chart when "Rock and Roll Heaven" (a song about dead rock stars) soared to #3. (More modest hits for the act in 1974 included the #20 "Give It to the People" an the #32 "Dream On.") Though Bill Medley's solo career never took off, he paired with Jennifer Warnes in 1987 and sang the #1 "Dirty Dancing" classic, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life." In 1990, another Patrick Swayze film--"Ghost"--propelled "Unchained Melody" to newfound popularity: the 1965 version was re-issued and peaked at #13, while the "brothers" cut a new version which reached #19.

The Righteous Brothers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. On November 5 of that year, Bobby Hatfield died at age 63. According to Wikipedia, "Hatfield died at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan, apparently in his sleep. In January 2004, a toxicology report concluded that an overdose of cocaine had precipitated a fatal heart attack." His death occurred "half an hour before he was due to perform a concert with Bill Medley."

• Members

I've always known this song as much as their other hits, but then.... I noticed a shift after 1990, and this song got less play. When I listened to radio in the 70's and 80's, it got plenty of airplay, and Rock and Roll Heaven also got a TON of airplay during that time. I think they duplicated Spector's sound just fine... and proved that he wasn't as genius as some may think. I like the wall of sound, BUT it gets old very fast, and the overblown, muddy sound tires the ear very quickly. Here they are singing it live on Hullaballoo:

The Fifth Dimension also recorded this song in 1974, and was the title track for their 1974 album:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry for the lack of updates. As I stated before, I would let everyone know if I was unable to continue this thread; however, a new post will soon come.

I was away from SON for the past 1.5 weeks because of an accounting software program test that I had to study for (and took yesterday).

• Members

Alphanguy, that had to be tough going a week without a computer!

I Am A Swede, thank you so very much for your kind words of support. I was fortunate enough to pass the test (and thus become formally certified in QuickBooks).

The Young Rascals were one of the most successful vocal groups during the latter half of the 60s. They scored three #1 hits, the first of which was "Good Lovin,'" which held the peak position for one week: the week ended 4/30/66.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g55XaECGBN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The four members of the Young Rascals--leader Felix Cavaliere (vocals & organ), Eddie Brigati (vocals & bass), Gene Cornish (guitar), and Dino Danelli (drums)--hailed from the NYC metro area. One of the original members of Joey Dee & the Starliters (of "Peppermint Twist" fame) was Eddie's older brother, David; Eddie himself would later join that group, as would Felix and Gene. However, because the Starliters' fortunes remained bleak while Cavaliere, Cornish, and (Eddie) Brigati were members, the three of them decided to form their own band. Of course, a drummer was needed, and Dino was chosen because both Felix and Eddie were impressed with him (having played alongside him previously).

The group originally wanted to name themselves just "The Rascals," but that idea was rejected by label executives because of possible consumer confusion with another group at the time called the Harmonica Rascals. Instead, they were assigned the "Young Rascals" moniker, which was a name that Cavaliere hated. (Strangely enough, the powers that be weren't concerned that the Young Rascals might be confused with the Little Rascals.) In late 1965, the band released its first single, "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore." It fizzled at #52.

For their follow up, the Young Rascals covered an R&B tune titled "Good Lovin.'" After first being recorded by Limmie Snell, it became a minor hit when the Olympics took the tune to #81 in 1965. The four members of the Young Rascals felt that the Olympics' version was rather tepid, so they infused a lot more energy into their recording. Still, they felt their own version was far from perfect, and asked their label (Atlantic) if they could go back into the studio. The label did not grant this request, and the song subsequently became the first of several major successes for the band.

• Members

Good Lovin is actually my least favorite of their hits, however, it comes off much better live than on record. Dino is one HELL of a wicked drummer, here they are doing it live on Ed Sullivan in 1966:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY7AtiC5Seg

And I agree, the Olympics version WAS tepid. Too slow, for one thing. The tempo of the song doesn't HAVE to be fast, but you have to put it right in the "pocket" to get a good groove, and the Olympics didn't succeed at that.

Archived