Classic AMC/OLTL

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In order. Thank God.

biggrin.png

Also. I don't know what it is....but these episodes were actually good for McTavish era stuff. I think where her biggest screw up was is the fact she killed off Dixie. LOL...At least she only thought she did!

I am not going to lie. I wish they went back to the Madden murder episode at first. I would have LOVED to have seen that.

Oh and I was going to ask. Did anyone catch the de-sorasing of my all time favorite character?

Only die hard fans would know this. But, Tad was found in the park when he was 10...not 6 as said.

• Members

Carl, I think that's a great analysis. I do think that often McTavish's stuff worked better on screen than if you just read the outline, because it did tend to have a weight to it (not always, but)--though that gets tough going after a while and AMC started getting so heavy and dark--and yet her stories more ridiculous... But that's the reason I still found her vision more compelling than, say, the majority of Pratt's (to pick an easy target.). As you say though, after stuff like that, there's nowhere to go . (McTavish also, at least till things really fell apart a few months later, managed to keep *some* sense of community in Pine Valley). For the most part, the actors (at AMC anyway) seemed to like playing her stuff, I think because the actual day to day material usually was fairly compelling and would try to factor in some sort of (sometimes far fetched) motivation unlike some other writers.

• Members

I still disliked it almost as much as I did back then. The camera work is so shaky that it's distracting.

Yeah, it's really a huge differerence from how McTavish wrote her to how every writer wrote her afterwards with B&E and Pratt being the main culprits. Actually, it's a pretty big difference with all the women from then to now but Kendall is one of the more extreme cases due to Zach being the head of the testosterone valley and due to how assertive (speak her mind) she was under McTavish and the writers before McTavish.

McTavish would always return to hacking and cracking in terms of story-telling but she knew how to write and structure, and she knew what really worked for AMC in terms of characterizations. Did she always use what she knew? No, not at all, but when she did it was good and even when she didn't you knew she could get back on track if she wanted to be respectful or focus. She's definitely a writer that needs a strong EP to keep her on track.

I was watching with the perspective troughout this episode, Cady having an issue with Tad burying a man alive leading to that mans death (or this episode IOW) and complaining about it signed Dixie's death warrant under McTavish.

• Members

It's too bad there is absolutely no way Lorraine Broderick and McTavish would work together again - I go back and forth on both yet I can also say that some of the best moments I've seen on daytime in the last 15 years have been from them. In the latter's case, also some of the worst, but at this point I almost feel like the highs and the lows would be worth the risk. Even with that awful story it was so refreshing to see people talking, having conversations with give and take, that, as you mentioned, seemed to be well-structured and built to something.

• Members

No all that is passed for the most part, all though yesterday she was dreaming of a life with Zach, saying Kendall isn't good enough for him. A few weeks later her and Zach didn't share anymore scenes LOL.

The Zendall reunion is coming up, can't wait for those eppy's. TK looks so freaking hot in these eppy's.

• Members

Now I wish I could watch bc I loved Josh and Babe. They were so much better than JR and Babe. What month are these episodes from? I dropped the show and missed the entire Satin Slayer story, not picking the show up again full time till early 2007

Aside from the finale, they only shared one scene together and Dixie was still a confused mute

• Members

Loved Kendall to pieces in this episode from beginning to end, not letting Zach turn his secrets and cold, homicidal tendancies around on her and having issues with the crap he does. Liked the Zach who knows he's an unfeeling monster at times and who knows it's very wrong despite basically saying he'd do it again.

All anybody in PV knew about Greg at this point was he was good at talking people into putting their kids up for adoption, which wasn't an evil thing or a crime, and he committed a crime or two that wasn't below anybody else in PV. It's not like him using his own sperm was out until a few weeks after this. They basically wanted a man tortured to death for being a strong public speaker.

It really is unfortunate. ITA. They were the perfect blend together but of course McTavish needed to be controlled and I don't know if there was anybody out there that could control her when she went into bender periods. Broderick brought the more serious less ratings grabbing stories and elements while McTavish brought the ratings grabbing elements in more wide-audience appealing stories. It's like blending CBS and NBC daytime dramas together at their best.

• Members

Hee.

I just remember being so excited about Dixie returning. I loved Zach and Kendall and I was getting my favorite couple ever back (Tad/Dixie). And it all went so wrong. That wasn't Dixie, that was a stupid version of Rosanna Cabot.

Cheap, the last "classic" episode was October 3, 2006. Satin Slayer story is about 2 months from now.

• Members

Did Simone die before Dixie or after? I can't keep track.

I saw a clip of Dixie playing with Kathy not long before her "death" and it did get to me; I guess it helped that she had nice hair at the time. The whole thing is so senseless and tacky. That's one of the reasons why, even if it was uneven, I'm glad they brought Dixie back and tried to give her a happy life (and grounded that by having JR refuse to let her off the hook).

There was a great deal of honesty in these scenes. I know that McTavish supposedly didn't want this couple but she really seems to have a knack for writing them. Later writers seemed to just get everything wrong and either loathed the characters or put way too much of their personal issues onto the characters (Pratt with Zach).

Archived