Classic AMC/OLTL

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they are definitely going to show the episodes in order from where they started early this morning which is Monday, October 2, 2006 for AMC. That's almost exactly 5 years ago to this date.

Tad describing what a pathetic bitch Dixie was in court remains a thing of beauty even though he was doing it mostly to look like an irrational ex-lover. She deserved it.

Did they start the OLTL/GH "classic" episodes from around the same date?

• Members

I taped OLTL out of curiosity to see if it was anything I'd want to see again. I don't know the date and I only glanced at the ending to see what it was about but the episode ended when John's mother gave Natalie the engagement ring after they thought he'd died in the car crash.

• Members

I guess this was when AMC had that "filmlook"?

I really don't like Dixie's hair. It's that thing Greenlee wore in recent years.

It's hard to believe this is only about 5 years ago - MEK looks a lot different.

I guess I should watch this because I've always had a higher McTavish tolerance than many people, but it's just so difficult to care.

• Members

I often even defend McTavish on here, but she was definitely in her steep, steep decline of her last tenure by this point... (and didn't last much longer...) I'm assuming they're picking right up from the episode that aired yesterday? And yes, the film look was there then (one of many insanely useful things JHC did for AMC :P ).

• Members

The film look doesn't look as bad as I'd expected - it even looks a bit stylish at times - but it adds to an already very laborious sense of pacing and heavy tone.

I know some said McTavish usually wrote well for Kendall and got her when other writers have not. I'm not sure how accurate that is but seeing her in those scenes with Zach was a jolt - I'd forgotten she ever used to really be able to question him and stand up for herself. They victimized and took any sense out of her character starting with B&E.

Cady McClain was fired for asking the same thing.

• Members

Becuase they didn't know how to redeem it? I dunno but it definitely was the nadir of his characterisation--and a sign that McTavish had really run out of steam and was in her full fledged wacky/dark mode (the gossip was at that point she was implementing story she had done for a soap she created and was shopping around called Purgatory). I believe by Feb of the next year the Satin Slayer story is in full force and then for a few months McTavish's name isn't even in the credits--then a few months later Brown/Esensten (who were mainly just dull) come in. Again--such a great era for SoapNet to start at, LOL, I mean even a few years earlier had much better stuff. That said there still were back then some good scenes amongst everything else--and I never found it as unwatchable as Higley's OLTL.

And yes, I forgot that when the film look first came in it also was accompanied by horrible shaky hand held camera shots, etc.

I thought it was connected to her public outcry at the treatment of Julia Barr/Brooke without even an exit? But I could see it being a combo...

Yeah I know the feeling :(

• Members

I believe the story was that McTavish was upset over Cady questioning some of her story - Cady at the very least wanted scenes where Tad and Dixie sat down and said torture was wrong. The Barr stuff probably came into play too as I doubt McTavish could have gotten Cady fired all on her own. Maybe Frons was also bothered.

It makes me sad to think about it because I thought McTavish had a lot of fondness for the Dixie character (although that 2006 return may say otherwise) so for her to punish the character the way she did was very petty.

Archived