Classic AMC/OLTL

• Members

I see Carl's point. Erin could have been the balance to Ryan, a baby-sitter, a viable supporting character. Was she REALLY needed. Not really. But I do miss the days of soaps developing strong supporting characters to anchor the main characters. I do remember liking the actress at the time. I stopped watching around this time actually. No real reason why, just a busy time for me.

I also never understood at this time why we lost so many viable younger women (I get there were too many). Simone. Di. Julia. Erin. It was crazy stupid. Losing Julia really annoyed me. Same for Simone.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're only too many if they aren't used properly. Why not just put some on recurring? That's what I would have done with Erin.

I think the younger women were poorly written for, so they stuck out like sore thumbs. The problem is that you had Babe, who dominated story and was played by a very strong presence. But Alexa Havens was gone by mid or late 2007, meaning they had a very weak female canvas. That's where someone like Simone would have been a fun change of pace.

• Members

True, but there was that time (I guess about a year or a year and a few months) they were willing to move on from Greenlee. Too bad they had to go back, as I think her return story, with Sligh, just made both Greenlee and Kendall look awful.

• Members

I agree as well--Simone especially was a waste--she added a lot even in her brief scenes (her and Myrtle's spiked lemonade chats were great). I kinda see Cheap's point--the show did have too many blank female characters at that point though I don't think it was Greenlee (I'm gonna be branded on here as Greens sympathizer)'s fault--it was just a lack of balance, which McTaviosh's last year had in spades, after she helped bring balance back post Rayfield

• Members

David Canary and Bobbie Eakes had amazing chemistry. I just don't know why the show had to have her sleep with Tad and carry his child.

This stuff with David taunting over Emma and whether Emma is Kate is interminable. I can't imagine how fans felt in 2006. And it's just so pointless. Someone seemed to realize that and had David finally bring up Leora and how he felt the Martins had caused her death.

The scenes where Ryan tried to get Jonathan to accept that he'd murdered Terry because he had no choice and he needed to go to therapy were actually good scenes, but a big reminder of how incredibly dark the show seemed to be at this time.

When Bianca and Josh were talking about how Madden impregnated all these women and she said leave it to someone else to tell them, all I kept wondering is that it's kind of scary to imagine dozens of people all with the same father, and not knowing about it.

Poor wasted Julia.

• Members

I usually love Bianca/Erica scenes (well, any scene with Erica & her daughters lol) but that scene they had earlier in the week where Bianca confronted her about Jeff just annoyed me. I also hate whenever Bianca calls Erica "Mother". lol.

Julia and Jamie were sweet but a little on the boring side. Julia really was wasted during this time. Man I loved Sydney Penny.

This Kate/Emma story was such a waste of time, I mean wow!! It was probably interesting at the time but watching it now & knowing how things turned out - it really is pathetic. What were they thinking?

I loved Di and loved her & Aidan together!

I feel like Bobbie Eakes got younger as time went by because in these 2006 episodes she looks old & haggard to me...lol then if you look at her just in the past year on AMC she looks so freaking good!

• Members

I've begun transfering my tapes to DVD and it's a slow process. Picking tapes at random, I got the Zach death, David return week first. Really enjoyed these episodes more now than I did then but I was rolling my eyes at David's story and his Greenlee wah. I also rolled my eyes at Jesse being indignant about justice.

My second tape was Ryan and Kendall going to Vegas to meet up with the oldest Showgirl in the world. June 2004.

I wish I didn't have to watch all these episodes to do this but I do want to edit the stuff down so it's a necessary evil.

JL's Liza and Tad are fantastic together. They missed the boat with just dropping them.

These Ryan and Annie scenes remind me of how much Ryan would harass and pressure women until they let him play their savior. He makes sense in these scenes with Annie, but it is a very annoying character trait.

ETA:

New tape has 9/9/04. Cameron Mathison is doing a Fun in the Sun event and...

Cam: Who wants Ryan with Kendall?

Loud screams from the girls

Cam: Who wants Ryan with Greenlee?

Dead silence which prompts an oh crap reaction from Cameron and then a polite single scream

Cam: I'd say it's about 80-20 now.

That's even funnier than I remembered it.

Nice Livia/Maria, Edmund/Anita scenes in the 6/7/04 episode.

• Members

Julia's return was such a waste. For a while it looked like she was going to open some sort of combo free clinic and hostel at Wildwind or something which I thought had potential, but...

Why don't I remember that Jonathan murdered terry? was this when he seemed like he might go after Lily? (Terry was the pedophile ex of Annie right?) I have that all muddled

Are they still airing 2006 episodes, because someone who was putting them online on youtube this week oddly, started putting 2010 episodes...

• Members

Watching OLTL now.. Time has not been good to the vets on this show... I will say it wasnice to see David pre- complete joke around the Buchanans. I also really liked Adriana and Rex back in the day, so strange now as I FF every Rex scene.

TSJTodd :).

• Members

It's hard to believe this is the same character (David). While I can see that it may have been a little dull to play, I enjoy David far more in these episodes. I also enjoy David/Dorian a lot more - they seem much more real as friends who have lingering feelings for each other.

Archived