The Chew: Discussion Thread

Llantano Incorporated

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw the last three minutes today, and they were all bowling over with laughter because Clinton came up with this fabulous idea of hiding marbles in your medicine drawer so that you can hear it when your dinner guests try to steal your pills.

ALL my dinner guests try to steal my damn pills.

• Members

I honestly don't understand why almost everybody is rooting for this show to fail. If AMC actually ended on 9/23/11, then I would understand it. However, we all know that AMC will continue, so this animosity makes little sense. In the minds of many people, it seems The Chew is not only the show that killed AMC (which is obviously false, despite the fact that the "objective" TV Guide said so), it is also the show that killed the entire soap genre.

Should Chew get cancelled, one of three things will occur:

*ABC will create another cheap talk show

*ABC will give this hour back to the affiliates

*ABC will place GH in its timeslot (instead of cancelling that soap)

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that under no circumstances will ABC create a new soap or re-air AMC or OLTL. Sadly, there is no gratitude towards ABC--the most "evil" company in the world--for doing what P&G refused to do: allow its soaps to be produced by another party.

• Members

For me it honestly is partly because the show was advertised as something "groundbreaking" and new. We also heard from its exec producer such wise words as (I paraphrase) people nowadays don't have the time to spend an hour with "stories"--they want information they can USE. I've seen about two and a half episodes--and have seen no information I can use. The recipes aren't even clerly shown the way, say, Rachel Ray or others do them. It's a scattered show that ultimately is at least as much pablum for the brain as the worst of soaps are. I admit, there is some smug, and mean, yes, satisfation after being told that THIS is the programming people not only want, but according to Frons have been asking for--and then seeing what a rushed, un thought out, mess of a show they delivered. Maybe they should have given AMC a full six months to work out their finale--and spend more time fine tunning The Chew? I dunno...

As for the online thing--I think many people are still unsure what's really going on, particularly when it comes to AMC, and that probably adds to it.

I don't think there's any chance GH would take the timeslot--timeslot moves for soaps are nearly always disastrous, anyway--

Burt absolutely--ABC wants out of daytime, at least soap opera wise, and wanted a cheap replacement--and if it wasn't the Chew, it would be something else (but not a soap or scripted show).

• Members

Your welcome. I always appreciate that you bring up your questions and points in a fair and interesting way, and I think your question was valid. Of course some of my reaction is due to AMC being canceled. That said, I think if it had been replaced even with a decently done show like Anderson, I would have at least admitted the end product has potential. In this case, I honestly don't see it.

• Members

Eric, you are such a reasonable person (which is a big reason why I respect you so much). I have no doubt that you are being completely objective in your assessment of The Chew. Your feelings toward The Chew are exactly how I felt about Passions: some of my reaction was because it was AW's replacement, but I would have watched the show (and wished for its success) if JER actually managed to make a halfway decent product.

Also, this next statement is directed to everybody (and not to Eric): one week's worth of shows (as opposed to only one show) is a fair trial for somebody to evaluate a television program. (Earlier I had stated that just watching the first episode was not a fair trial.) Thus, if people hate this show, they can legitimately trash it (so long as people are trashing the show based on the merits, and not on the fact that it was AMC's replacement).

• Members

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the timeslot for this show is just all wrong. It totally effs with my sense of time as it feels like a 10am show a la Rachael Ray. I have had it on for the full episode about three times now and each time it ended and OLTL began I thought, "Oh my God, it's two o'clock already??"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the fact that The Chew hasn't been discussed for a while shows how irrelevant it's becoming.

While this show is not "100% bad" (and there have been many shows that have been far worse), I feel one of the reasons why its ratings are tanking is because the emphasis is being placed on the personalities instead of the food. On the portion of yesterday's episode that I saw, the hosts were constantly telling jokes, few of which were actually funny. Furthermore, there is a segment on the show (I believe) called "Celebrity Egg Timer," where a celebrity guest has one minute to answer questions (most of which are not cooking related) posed by the hosts.

A food show in daytime sounds really good in theory, and I still believe that all of the venomous attacks on The Chew (prior to its first episode) made on behalf of disgruntled soap fans were very unfair. However, the type of food show that I'd like to see on daytime is of the "traditional" variety (e.g., "Lydia's Italy") whereby only a couple of dishes are featured (in-depth), as opposed to having a television program where the hosts quickly switch between dishes and make lame attempts at humor. Of course, I'm sure that Frons and his focus groups thought that "traditional" cooking shows were too boring for the coveted demographic, and thus we have a show like The Chew.

While painful and unpopular, cancelling AMC and OLTL was the right business decision for ABC to make. Unfortunately, Frons should have been fired for his gross mismanagement of those soaps. (He wasn't fired because his higher-up's really did not care all that much about soaps.) Placing Frons in charge of devolping replacement programming was a huge mistake on ABC's part; if/when The Chew fails, I do believe that Frons will finally be terminated.

Archived