The Chew: Discussion Thread

Llantano Incorporated

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alphanguy, after taking the time to think about it, that was indeed what that comment was referring to. However, because such a comment could initially give one the wrong impression (i.e., that the person didn't watch AMC for its last few years), the poster should definately re-word the message he is trying to convey.

• Members

First of all I didn't create the image but found it on Tumblr, thought it was funny and decided to share. Secondly, it's pretty clear what they were referring to. They used the word 'this' only after mentioning Days. As you mentioned it doesn't make sense that they would be talking about AMC, so why jump to there?

• Members

Cheap, I never thought that you were the one who created that photo in the first place, and am sorry if I implied otherwise. But it is a fact that AMC had miserable ratings (and a lot of people who used to watch stopped tuning in during the last several years), which is why it was cancelled. Its demise cannot be blamed on "The Screw" (as some people like to refer to this cooking show).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Olivia Newton-John appeared on Friday's episode of The Chew. Clinton Kelly was totally obsessed with her, in a very creepy way. I should also mention that Olivia looked absolutely gorgeous.

Today, viewers got to see the inside of Mario Batali's kitchen. Does anybody know why he always wears long shorts with orange clogs?

• Members

Has she gotten many plastic surgery operations? She honestly looked really good on Friday's episode (which is still up on abc.com).

FYI, she mentioned that she currently resides in both Florida and Australia. She was also promoting her new book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess my opinion of this show is "evolving," but I am noticing a lot more flaws with The Chew. Specifically, I am much more bothered by the silly banter shared by the co-hosts. It would be nice if the focus was solely on the food, the way a PBS cooking show presents it. (I guess such a show would be considered "too boring" for network television.)

I honestly was never a big fan of The Chew, but came to its defense because I felt that persecution of the show was/is so over-the-top. Again, I don't think it is a terrible program, but it is not a high quality show either.

Ironically, I think that The Revolution has been improving in quality. Perhaps it is because they are not trying as hard (since the axe has already fallen), but the hosts seem to be less corny. I like the fact that they dropped the segment involving daily reports of a woman's weight loss journey (since those type of stories have been done ad nauseum). Also, five hosts was just too many for this show; I have watched more recent episodes where just two or three hosts appear for the day. I think The Revolution could have benefitted from a re-tooling (prior to cancellation), but understand that ABC's #1 priority (which is misplaced, IMO) is Katie.

This isn't discussed anymore, but how are The Chew and The Revolution performing in the ratings?

• Members

I watched a few episodes (the last few days) and I could swear the show has gotten worse - there's a lot of forced, pointless banter, and this insane type of desperation. They had a woman who was styled like Mario Batalli, screaming about how she woke up from a dream. They have all these anecdotes which seem to go with loud = funny, and which never quite make sense, like Michael Symon going on about how Dr. Oz Daughter sprinted to the subway in a spandex suit, and how he should be wearing a jock strap.

Mario Batalli is so sleazy and such bad TV. When Jennifer Grey was on the show, he repeatedly stood behind her, pressing his body against hers, and then turning her to face him. This was passed of as "comedy" but it came across more as his wanting a grope.

I don't know what the ratings are but I do remember it being easier to watch some months ago.

• Members

The only reason why my opinion of the show has changed is because it appears that the show itself has changed (in the ways you mentioned above). I abhorred the way a lot of people trashed this show upon arrival (merely because it replaced AMC); that being said, I can't continue to defend it as the focus has moved away from food and towards stupid banter.

Archived