The Chew: Discussion Thread

Llantano Incorporated

• Members

I didn't watch the premiere or Tuesday's show...but I watched it today to see Joy Behar's fabulous lasagna recipe (I've made it before, it IS that good)...the show is terrible. Really terrible.

All the hosts are talking over each other. Carla Hall just seems to be shuddering all the time, Daphne Oz is unbelievably dull and airheaded, Clinton Kelly is white knuckling it the whole time, Michael Symon is too subtle to compete with the rest of the hosts and Mario Batali doesn't seem to want to be there.

This show is basically knocking off Rachael Ray and doing a poor job at it at that.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed full on--especially with the way each host acts (though again, I'd add that they seem really hopped up on amphetamines--as does the audience who oddly applauded when Clinton told them to be careful due to a food scare on canteloupes...). I saw enough to see Joy and no more--but even her segment they barely showed how she made the lasagna (all I got from it was not to boil the noodles)--even if the recipe is online, at least with someone like Rachael Ray (whom I'm not a fan of), the actual "how to make" bits read clearly through the TV.

• Members

Whoever is controlling the "Applause" button at The Chew is trigger happy. The audience applauding to Clinton's news about the food scare on cantaloupes was bizarre.

You're right, they actually could have had a decent segment with Joy if they'd allowed her to actually COOK and show how to put the recipe together. As you've so rightly pointed out Eric, Rachael Ray (who I used to loathe for the longest time) is at least informative and instructive. The Chew can't even manage to let you see how to properly make something.

I thought the way Carla Hall's dish was shown was almost worse in a way, she yapped like an idiot for 8 minutes as she stirred milk and tossed in some herbs...cut to commercial and then it's serving time? No tips about sifting, thickening, browning the chicken? It made absolutely no sense.

And yes, the hosts are all amphetamines, the problem is that each of them has a different kind of high:

Clinton: giddy

Carla: tremors and spasms

Mario: lethargy

Michael: quiet and friendly

Daphne: surrealism

• Members

While I personally find The Chew to be OK, my mother--who has always hated soaps and is glad that the genre is dying--really did not care for this show. In fact, she told me that she was unable to watch more than just a few minutes of the show.

• Members

I read some comments that Clinton - I feel more sorry for him by the day - had to ad lib about 2 entire minutes of airtime because they were running short?? Geez. Someone speculated that this meant they were struggling to find sponsors and had to kill time as a result.

• Members

YES! He did a sketch of a dream he had about the bald chef--because of a comment he said about how he'd carry a porkchop with him at a party in his hand, and Clinton dreamed he ahd some special fashion accessory wrist and to connect pork chops to (i am not making this up). The show is still ridiculously disorganized--I guess it's three days in, but... One other random thought when I watched bits today--I think it makes sense to have the table for some of the audience to get to eat the food, or whatever, but having for so much of it the audience watching the BACKS of the speakers just seems so weird to me--they look bored.

• Members

Oddly enough she did look like and older version of her.

To be honest I actually think that this group could work on a better produced show, with one exception - Daphne Oz, who is wearing a Dr. Oz mask with a blonde wig and lipstick, looks to be a somewhat sour person who doesn't quite know where she is and looks out of place even when they plop her in the middle of a scene. At one point she almost headbutted Paula Deen. She also manages to make everything sound strange and inappropriate.

Archived