The NFL Thread

Soapsuds

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it took months and 243 pages to basically say what was "generally known" all along and that no is going to be punished for it because it's like Tony saying "I don't like this guy and I wish he were gone" and Guido taking that to mean the guy should be killed. Tom didn't say "deflate the balls," he just made it known that he likes the balls to be at a certain weight.

I don't think there should be an asterisk because who knows what every team they played might have done. I do think their SuperBowl victory should be accurately seen for what it was and the Patriots should not be romanticized as some dominant force as though they won that game because the totally outplayed their opponent.

I am so anti-sports media now because everything is exaggerated to the umpteenth degree. I am not as big on football as I was because I watched too much nonsense on ESPN. Now I'm half-heartedly watching the NBA playoffs and trying to avoid as much of the hyperbole as I can. Listening to Jon Gruden on MNF can be draining but nowhere near as being subjected to Reggie Miller and his inability to use common expressions appropriately.

• Members

I believe that the reason they issued a four game suspension is because brass figured it wil go down to one or two. If the suspension is due to his not cooperating and lying then they are going to have to force him to sit out a minimum of one game in order to send their message. The NFL seems to be rolling with better to over-punish and be criticized than under-punish.

• Members

There should be an asterisk next to their Super Bowl win. No telling what the outcomes of some of their games would have been without them deflating balls. I fully believe Tom Brady was an active participant but because he's the media's fave everyone is taking up for him. I see right through it.

• Members

I completely, wholeheartedly agree. They cheated and it ain't the first time. The punishment fits, circumstantial evidence or physical, they are both good enough to convict someone in court and should apply in this case as well.

• Administrator

People will be claiming for an asterik for many decades to come but Patriot fans will still celebrate our 4 Super Bowl wins. smile.png Even with proper sized footballs, Brady had better stats in the 2nd half vs the Colts, and he still threw 4 TDs, 328 yards, against the defensive team in the Super Bowl.

Nevermind. Goodell will be presiding over the appeal. I thought it would go to an indepenedent arbitrator. Seems highly unlikely that Goodell will overturn his people's initial ruling.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

He should be smiling! Goodell tried to railroad him and gave an unreasonable punishment.   He should've gave Brady a speeding ticket but he went for a murder charge instead.  The Wells Report was a sham (one of the NFL lawyers edited the report) from the beginning as it was not an independent investigation (the judge even put independent in quotations).  The NFL had no proof and yet they continued this B.S. witch hunt.  Then they go out and leak that Brady "destroyed his phone" as a way to distract people, or sway them into believe what the NFL was dishing out. They wanted the narrative of "Brady didn't cooperate" with the NFL, but Ted Wells said that Brady did cooperate as much as he needed to.  They also initially leaked out that 11 out of 12 footballs were severely deflated and that turned out to be false - only one of them was.  There was no apology for that false report.   Once again, Roger Goodell is embarrassing the NFL. 

• 6 months later...

Archived