The NFL Thread

Soapsuds

• Members

The NFL, and especially Roger Goodell, is like low hanging fruit and it's become safe for those who constantly must've been holding their noses to swoop in and point out the stench. I've heard over and over again how it's a microcosm or reflection of society and I'm inclined to disagree. It exists because there is extreme entertainment value and a lot of money to be made for a select group. The players may be people too but I don't know of any "regular" jobs in which the employer would knowingly hire guys with drug issues, rapists, and other criminals by reasoning that their talent trumps their "extracurricular activiies."

ESPN hired Ray Lewis. Do they care about the families who lost their loved ones to murder and his possible involvement (or at the very least his obsruction of justice) and how it must feel to see him on their staff? Or do they brush that off because he made a financial settlement with them? They certainly don't care about having him commenting on either Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson.

While I understand that Hannah Storm is not ESPN, I still can't feel much for her asking what the NFL stands for when she should ask the same of her employers. The NFL and applicable owners have been hiding behind "due process" as justification for their inaction and ESPN is probably hiding behind "giving you the public what you want," though I doubt a bunch of people asked for the analysis of Ray Lewis.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not saying this to be controversial but I honestly don't understand why the NFL is being targeted for this and why Morning Joe and the Media at large is so hell bent on destroying the League and the possibility of enjoying football season this year. I don't support or condone domestic violence but this situation isn't as clear cut black and white as some would like to make it seem. And I don't think Roger Goodell should be fired.

Bottom line though is that the ratings speak for themselves. The fans speak for themselves. They're the ones showing up to the games and still watching. And from what I've seen there are still women wearing Ray Rice jerseys and plenty of people on the Russ Parr Morning Show defending Adrian Peterson's actions towards that poor son of his.

In short this is just another storm that will eventually pass on. Happens with every shooting rampage this country experiences. It happens with almost every so called "scandal". A lot of uproar and indignation but it all eventually dies out....

• Members

I don't think Roger Goodell should be fired either. He works for a bunch of owners, some of whom knowingly hire criminals to play for their teams. I don't see how a player's behavior is his fault. Teams have the ability to discipline players if they want and those who don't use him as a scapegoat (which is part of the reason they pay him $44 million a year besides his increasing their profits).

Maybe some of the people who flat out hate the NFL want to see it destroyed, but I don't think everyone who is complaining wants that. I'm sure there are a wide range of reasons including those who want to feel better about watching and cheering for a team, even if it's merely cosmetic. The video and pictures present a moral dilemma for some and even when this blows over, the dilemma is still going to exist and will resurface if some other "in your face" images are brought to light.

Since TMZ has jumped into the sports arena, I find it hard to believe that they are not going to make a practice of digging up dirt to spring on the NFL at opportune spotlight moments. They released that video on opening weekend for the attention and managed to turn a day of football into mentions for TMZ.

• Members

If the investigation that is being conducted, Ray Rice's appeal, and/or other evidence reveals that Roger Goodell lied about what he knew prior to issuing Ray Rice's suspension, he will more than likely step down or be fired. I cannot see how he or the owners would be able to get around something like that without removing him.

Outside of that, I don't see why he should be fired to appease people who didn't seem to care that much about the practices of the NFL when it comes to punishment (except when it impacts their gambling including Fantasy Football). I don't know the extent to which the owner of the Ravens influenced the length of the suspension. The spotlight is on Roger Goodell but I don't see any group demanding anyone from the Ravens be fired. They are the ones who quickly got behind Ray Rice and put out statements about the events. They also held that press conference in which they trotted out his wife to show all is well. If the fruit on the tree is rotten then they're at the root of that mess.

And the owner of the Carolina Panthers cried freely while still planning to play someone who was already convicted, by acting as though he had no choice. Then lo and behold they deactivated him for a game. Then they let him return and were hiding behind "due process" until "due process" became a leave because of the external pressure.

So far the "zero tolerance" 49ers haven't been shamed into deactivating, suspending or sitting the player they have who is accused of domestic violence against his pregnant fiancee.

The only owner anyone seems to be willing to complain about is Dan Snyder over the Redskins. All the Hugh Hefner wannabes skate and the crocodile tears seem sufficient from the owners who want to do the right thing but cannot because of "due process" because they are paying those guys millions and why should domestic issues cost them? Roger Goodell might ultimately need to go but I don't think that little band aid takes care of anything until those owners are made accountable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a crazy ending!!!! I couldn't believe that insane catch by Seattle....I couldn't believe it was happening again (helmet catch and sideline catch). Then a miracle happened....Seattle decided to throw from the one yard line??!! What??!! Interception!!!! Yes!!!!! That was one of the best Super Bowl ever. I laugh at Sherman who was talking smack about Revis with his "two" "four" to the camera after Seattle's last TD. Hey Sherman, you mad bro??!!!

And congrats to (in a Denzel Washington voice) "my man," Tom Brady on his fourth ring and 3rd Super Bowl MVP. :)

• Administrator

People are just trying to come up with reasons why they decided to throw instead of running. I highly doubt the coaches were thinking about MVPs on that situation. It was just a terrible play call, the worst in Super Bowl history.

Archived