SOAPnet plans AMC marathon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah wasn't the wedding 1978? They aired it as part of a ABCs Weddings SoapNet marathon a long time back--it's on youtube.

As for the birth control episode, when they aired it as I Love Lucci there actually was at leats one small edit, maybe for more commercials, one scene in the opening WAS on the Daytime to Remember airing and not in the Lucci one.

• Members

Yeah, the wedding was September 1978. It would have been nice if they'd slipped that one in or, better yet, the earliest Erica-centric episode that exists (besides the kinescopes). The wedding ep is the only little window into that era, which is completely and totally underrepresented on YT.

• Members

Agreed--I like the 1979 episode, but I feel like I've seen it a dozen times (which is probrably because I've seen it more than that--first constantly rewatching my Daytime to Remember tapes as a teen, and then the DVDR I have of the I Love Lucci marathon). And you're right--we have those five kinescope episodes from 1970-1971, and then virtually the only stuff aside from very brief clips we've seen from the rest of the 70s are that '78 wedding episode--which is particularly great because you see virtually the whole cast--and the '79 one. I'm not sure if many other early 70s kinescopes exist, I'm starting to think they don't, but there should be some good quality 1977-1980 stuff out there, which really seems to be when AMC fully came into its own. And I've only seen that '78 wedding on the so-so quality youtube posting, so would love to see a better copy.

Still, I have to admit I'm at least slightly impressed that this shorter I Love Lucci marathon is, that one episode aside, using different episodes than the last one (and impressed they have the Woman of the Year episode, which really was oddly absent from the last one).

• Members

The I Love Lucci marathon was really one of SoapNet's finest moments. Even my dad got into it, having watched AMC in its early days in high school and (begrudgingly) for many years when my mom would tape it. I'd argue that AMC has a nostalgia factor unlike any other soap that ever was, and that has almost everything to do with some of the most vivid character portraits ever.

• Members

Yeah, I admit to being biased myself, and I could be wrong, but I just don't think that any other soap can boast a roster quite like Billy Clyde, Opal, Ray Gardner, Phoebe, Langley, Myrtle, Palmer, Cliff & Nina, Jesse & Angie, Greg & Jenny, ERICA... I think even if you only watched briefly, to be a fan of the show during that key late '70s/early '80s era was to have witnessed something very special.

Archived