GH: Classic Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't. The 2013 story threaded the needle a lot as to what actually happened or didn't happen from PC, and hinted heavily towards blaming the town forgetting on Caleb's magic ring. (A sentence I never thought I'd utter) I consider it canon, since Karen's death most certainly is.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't know enough about PC and what's canon and not because GH messed with a lot of things and made most of it non existent.  Some things exist like Karen being dead, but Livvie is just not real because Sam is not the same.  I don't think it's crazy to think there are other bars in PC we just don't see though.

• Members

Thank you for the very generous offer. I may take you up on that later. I'm a middle school teacher and we are three weeks away from graduation so I'm in the midst of planning for the ceremony. Most of my GH 1991 time is mostly casually watching material in the background while I am doing other things. 

Additionally, the issue seems to be that Monty doesn't take a production credit for a good chunk (all?) of the pre-Eckert material. Before Christmas, 1990, it is clear that Monty is back making little adjustments and the press stated her return to the studio was going to be December 4. So while I think you would be able to determine Norma Monty's writing credit, I suspect I'd have to dig into script filming dates to determine when Gloria returned. 

Any energy the show has had in the previous months is pretty much gone by late March, 1991. March is dragging. I think I am reaching the end of the first round of Monty's reshuffling. Tracy and Ashton have had a fight and Ashton seems set to leave Port Charles, but not before maneuvering Lucy out of the Q mansion before he too is set to exit. Harlan and Paul have both arrived so the business contingent is set. 

Part of the issue with the "new" General Hospital is the disconnect between not only the past three years and the present but between the present canvas. For example, the attempt to infuse the show with a sense of realism through the focus on social issues such as environmental concerns, the economic depression, and the life in post-Communist nations is that there is often no real connection to the characters. The environmental story is often the source of end of episode cliffhangers. Oh no, PCBs are leaking into the Port Charles River! Though, there is not really any impact other than conversation. Furthermore, while the decision to have the Quartermaine clan face the economic recession with cutbacks on personal spending may seem relevant, I cannot imagine the audience sympathizing with them why the audience themselves faces losing their homes while the Qs worry about whether or not they can dine out this week.  

The only characters from pre-Monty 2.0 getting much action (outside the Qs in their facing the economic recession with varying degrees of humility and humilitation) are Robert and Anna. Even the conflict at the heart of their relationship is over newcomer Mac, who I really don´t like at this point. Also, if I don´t hear the Mack the Knife cue again I´ll be quite okay. Robert´s accident at Delafield´s (someone tries to kill him by rigging the elevator) might be the last appearance by Angel. I am pretty sure that Mary´s last appearance was when she outed Bobbie in the Lucas tale when she told Tony that Katherine was just now asking Bobbie about adopting King as this had been Bobbieś cover story about meeting with Broxton. 

Speaking of Bobbie, I think we´ve reached the end of Bobbie/Bill. Angela spent an entire episode listening to Marge Pulaski attempting to matchmake her widowed daughter Carol with Bill, whcih has lead to a party at the Eckerts house where all the Pulaskis appear (the already mentioned Patrick, Marge, and Carol with the father Hank having a conversation with Fred). I am curious to see how long any of these secondary characters last. Carol is given a tragic backstory (truck driver husband Ralph Reynolds was killed while on the road). I could see how a Carol / Bill / Nancy triangle could have worked down the line (and I suspect the original plan was probably Nancy/Joey not Nancy/AJ). 

I really don´t know what to think of Michael Cole´s Harlan. I can´t tell if the actor just isn´t suited for daytime or if the character is purposefully shifty as the character doesn´t seem as together as I would think he would. I find Harlan very bumbling and seemingly hiding behind his persona rather than actually being someone with money like he claims. The only thing that has been noteworthy to me about Harlan is that he has made Bill his chief machinist, which clarifies how we got to the place where Bill was involved so heavily in the business sector.

I wonder how the character of Bill would have progressed had Tony Geary not been cast in the role as I´m not convinced Bill was tailor made for him. Bill is all over the canvas already. He has pulled up a PCB drum from the Tracy using his newly designed salvage device which has made him friends with the Greenbelts. He has seen Bobbie socially and went to bed with some Greenbelt friend of Jenny´s. He´s managed to secure and lose work as an automechanic. He has befriended a professor a tthe university to help devlop his salbage device. Now, he´s a machinist again and headed for a relationship with his high school sweetheart Carol Pulaski Reynolds. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I agree. 

It seemed like Gloria Monty and her writers were trying to damnedest to make TG/Bill work somewhere on the canvas, but they just weren't getting anywhere.  I felt that way watching the show off-and-on with GL and SaBa as a kid; and reading through these synopses, I feel even more that way now. 

I don't think I've ever witnessed a character on soaps go through as many, um, transformations as Bill Eckert did.  Which makes me wonder: what would have happened if Genie Francis had told ABCD she was never going back to GH as Laura ever, AMC job or no AMC job?  Would GH had gone through with bringing back Luke without her?  And if not, would they have just written Bill off the show when Geary's contract was done and let him go as well?

Edited by Khan

• Members

@Khan I am curious to see what happens what the dust clears in the summer of 1991 after Fred has been killed off, Angela shipped off to Portland, and the show settles on Bill / Julia and Jenny / Paul / Tracy / Ned. I genuinely enjoy Bill from the bits and pieces that I have caught from December 1991 through about March/April 1993. Bill and Julia work for me and Bill and Holly are serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Bill as Paul´s partner in crime and big brother to Jenny (who wavers between pathetic wimp and genuine spunky heroine) is a piece of the cog that makes early Riche´s General Hospital functional. 

I cannot imagine how they would have tried to incorporate Luke back into Port Charles without Laura, but I can only chuckle at the idea that they could have killed off Laura the same week they killed off Ceara on Loving. I´m not sure if a Luke and Holly redux would have worked any better than Bill and Holly.

• Members
Posted (edited)

IIRC, when we were reading the SOD news from 1991 that were posted on Tumblr, the casting for Harlan was a big story.  For weeks ahead of time, there were outrageous lists of actors being mentioned as auditioning for the role.  And amusingly, his daughters were previewed as being named Justine and Kelly (someone was watching too much 90210).  It was very 1991, and Harlan was described like a certain convicted former president, just like all 1990s businessmen, until they all became based on Richard Branson in the 2000s.

So, it must have been poor casting that doomed the character because one cannot imagine that the original plan was for Faison to become the only surviving member of the Cartel.   

Edited by j swift

• Members

I was a teenager when she was playing Meg.  So vivid her portrayal of a woman with mental illness.  I was suffering from depression myself at the time, and Meg was so intensely sad, I had to stop watching for a while because it triggered me.

The actress did her job well.  I just didn't have anyone to talk to in my small town.

• Members

I'm so sorry you had to struggle with depression on your own, without anyone to talk to about it.

People often wax poetically about "the good old days," but in reality, things were not always so good. Depression and other forms of emotional issues were sublimated and not talked about. Spousal and child abuse was covered up. Issues with sexual orientation were demonized, leaving many people on the outskirts of society rejected and condemned. MAGAs rage at anything "woke," but it's made society kinder and more enlightened.

• Members

I was a child, and my mother was a fan of what we refer to today as "pre-Monty GH".  Elizabeth MacRae was a very good actress playing Meg Baldwin.

My memory plays tricks on me alot, but I remember reading somewhere that Meg was newly arrived Dr. Lesley Williams's (later Webber) first case at GH, which Lesley consulted on because Meg had severe hypertension.  I don't remember even a stitch of that.

• Members

I loved Elizabeth MacRae in everything I've seen her in, mostly Gunsmoke, The Fugitive, Gomer Pyle, and the movie The Conversation. She was great. She was in so much more; I'm looking forward to finding and watching more of her work. 

• Members

Nasty Phil Brewer has got it coming...November 1974:

Friday, November 1, 1974: Phil is welcomed back to the hospital by Mr. Thurston.  Lesley agrees to see Cameron again; she tells Jessie how much Joel means to her and how she is so happy that she’s afraid something will spoil it.  Augusta tells Phil that Diana is back; Augusta is almost frightened of him; he knows she is pregnant and she feels responsible for the things he might do.

Monday, November 4: Lee tells Kira that the station was sold to an anonymous client.  Steve confides in Jessie that he has been thinking of marrying.  Jessie reveals to Audrey how distressed she is by Phil.  Audrey and Jim argue because Jim lied to Steve about his drinking. Phil asks Steve not to block his being able to fill the vacancy in the cardiac unit.

Tuesday, November 5: Lesley gives Joel one of two geode paperweights, keeping one for herself.  Jessie is dismayed when Steve tells her about Phil’s job in the cardiac unit; she is stricken when she discovers that Steve intends to tell Peter that Phil wants to work at the hospital.  We see a decided change in Jim when he swallows his pride and asks Joel to assist in an operation.  Steve asks Peter how he feels if Phil worked on the hospital staff again; Peter is angry.

Wednesday, November 6: Diana and Martha are about to leave the apartment when Phil arrives; Diana refuses to listen to him.  Al shows Henry and Jane his resignation letter which he is taking to Mr. Thurston.  Cameron learns that Lesley is a doctor.

Thursday, November 7: Shaken by Phil’s visit, Diana tries to call and locate Peter.  Al tells Augusta that Thurston accepted his resignation.  Jessie comes to Diana’s to warn her that Phil is in town, but she’s too late - - Phil’s already been there; Jessie sees how upset Diana is and blames herself.  Cameron and Lesley argue over the medical profession and call off the remainder of their date.  Peter arrives at Diana’s and learns that Phil was just there; Diana is frightened by the intensity in Peter’s voice when he states that he is going to make it clear to Phil once and for all.

Friday, November 8: Joel tells Steve that he was impressed by how much Jim has changed; Joel admits he’s not against the reinstatement as much as he thought he’d be.  When Peter tells Augusta that Phil is back, she suggests that Phil is interested in seeing his daughter. Audrey tells Lee that Jim lied to Steve about not drinking.  Peter is shocked and furious to see Phil waiting at the nurses station for Joel.

Monday, November 11: Jane, Jessie and Lee try to restrain Peter from confronting Phil.  Diana confides in Jessie that she is afraid of what will happen; Jessie is equally afraid.  Audrey meets Jim in the coffee shop; he tells her he was encouraged by his interview with Joel. Peter bursts in on Joel and Phil’s interview.  Peter warns Phil to stay away from Diana.

Tuesday, November 12: Jessie receives a call in which she is told she might have a health problem.  Steve tells Kira how much he misses seeing her.  Cameron is angry that Kira has been arranging dates for him with Lesley - a doctor.  Peter tells Jessie he can’t stand living life knowing that Phil is around.  Joel tells Steve he had decided to tentatively hire Phil until Peter came in and blew up.  Augusta plans to tell Peter she is pregnant; he arrives and tells her that Diana has called off the divorce; Augusta is devastated.

Wednesday, November 13: Diana learns that Phil has applied to return to the hospital staff. Phil gives Jim the impression he helped promote Jim when he talked to the hospital administration.  Phil barges into Diana’s apartment; Peter calls and immediately knows something is wrong by the sound of Diana’s voice; Phil tries to give Diana a necklace, but she refuses to take it; Peter arrives and is delighted when Diana tells Phil that she is not divorcing Peter and that Peter is moving back into the apartment; Phil is infuriated.

Thursday, November 14: A small going away party is given for Al.  Lesley grows concerned about Jessie’s health.  Steve calls Audrey and says that he’d like to talk to Jim; Audrey, knowing that Jim is at Johnny’s Bar, lies to Steve saying that Jim is out doing errands; she calls Jim at the bar and warns him that Steve is coming by the apartment in thirty minutes; Jim is encouraged about his chances for being rehired.  After Phil leaves, Peter suggests to Diana that they have a ceremony to reaffirm their marriage.  Steve arrives before Jim comes home and warns Audrey that the hospital will have to be very careful about rehiring Jim.

Friday, November 15: Henry is genuinely glad to see Phil.  Steve urges Joel to make the decision himself on who will be hired for the cardiac unit.  Jim takes a drink and Audrey is mortified by his blatant pretense with Steve.  Phil tells an upset Augusta that Peter is moving back in with Diana; Phil suddenly fastens a way to disrupt their new togetherness - - he will tell Diana that Augusta is pregnant with Peter’s baby.

Monday, November 18: Audrey is uncomfortable when Steve tells her how impressed he is that Jim has given up drinking.  Augusta tells Diana that Phil has gotten the wrong impression from her and she must see him again; she asks that Diana tell Phil to get in touch with her before he does anything.  Cameron confides in Lee that his act of purchasing the television station is part of his plan to get Kira back.  Audrey begs Jim not to make a drink; Jim is annoyed but pours it out.

Tuesday, November 19: Steve is impressed by Jim’s ideas on how to improve the cardiac unit. Jessie learns from her doctor that she has a spot on her lung; he advises her to stop working and she refuses.  Phil follows Diana into the medicine room and closes the door; she feels trapped; he tries to talk to her, but she is afraid and hostile; Augusta interrupts before he can tell Diana what he wants to say.

Wednesday, November 20: Diana tells Peter that Phil cornered her in the medicine room; Peter is furious.  When Augusta makes a comment to Joel asking if he and Lesley have eloped, Joel says it’s the furthest thing from his mind; later, Lesley wistfully tells Joel about Diana and Peter’s marriage reaffirming ceremony.  Augusta begs Phil not to tell Diana that she is pregnant with Peter’s baby; Phil won’t budge; Augusta threatens to deny it, but Phil has the letter she wrote to him while he was in Africa, proving her involvement with Peter; when Augusta tries to grab the letter away, there is a scuffle, but Phil retains the letter intact.

Thursday, November 21:  Jessie returns a call from her doctor and tells him that he not be concerned with her health, she will take matters into her own hands; Lesley is concerned about Jessie’s health; Jessie tells Lesley she is working late so that she can meet Phil and tell him about Diana and Peter’s decision to have the ceremony.  Hayes Colman is angry with Kira; he has discovered that Cameron is buying the station and he accuses her of being in on it; Kira tells Cameron she will quit if he acquires the station.  Audrey tells Steve that Jim is drinking and he lied because he wanted so badly to be rehired.  Jessie tells Phil about Diana and Peter’s reaffirmation ceremony and he gets angry.

Friday, November 22: Cameron tells Lee to call off the deal to purchase KGTL; Lee asks if Cameron is leaving the area; Cameron plans to stay around.  Joel tells Lesley he has selected Phil to fill the vacancy in the cardiac unit; Lesley warns Joel that it might be a dangerous decision.  Phil is delighted to learn he has the job and tells Peter they will be colleagues again; shocked, Peter goes to Joel and asks him not to hire Phil, pointing out that Phil raped Diana and hiring him would be the biggest mistake Joel could ever make.  Phil goes to Augusta and tells her he is not going to tell Diana that Augusta is pregnant by Peter - - he has a new plan; he plans to tell Peter himself, that way Diana won’t be hurt and all Peter has to do is leave Diana, and Phil will have a chance to have a family; Augusta is furious.

Monday, November 25: Audrey is shocked to learn that Phil got the job in the cardiac unit; she thought that Phil was trying to help Jim get it.  Joel is miffed to find out that Lesley is going out with Cameron.  Phil arrives for his first day, tries to be friendly with Lesley, who doesn’t like him.  Audrey tells Jim the bad news that Phil got the job; Jim believes Phil knifed him in the back.  Diana tells Phil she wishes he weren’t here; Phil follows Diana into Steve’s office and won’t let her leave; he tells her he remembers what happened between them differently than she does; he doesn’t think she was as reluctant as she would like everyone to believe; Diana is disgusted and pushes him out of her way, calling him the most hateful person she knows.

Tuesday, November 26: Jessie confides to Peter that when she talked to Phil he threatened to stop the reaffirmation ceremony.  Jim learns from Joel that his drinking was one of the reasons he didn’t get the job; Jim figures it was Phil who told Joel he was drinking.  Joel is annoyed when Lesley brings Cameron to the free clinic. Audrey confides to Lee that she feels responsible for Jim not getting rehired.  Joel and Cameron have an awkward meeting.  Phil tells Peter he knows all about Peter’s relationship with Augusta.

Wednesday, November 27: Jane and Henry tell Augusta they have Thanksgiving dinner plans of their own when Augusta offers them a box of fried chicken; they invite her to join them, but she refuses.  Cameron makes a call in which he asks an aide to find out everything he can about Joel and Lesley.  Augusta asks Jane if she ever wishes she wasn’t saddled with a child; Jane tells her that Joanne is the best thing that ever happened to her.  Jessie admits to Lee that she is worried that Phil will try to do something to stop Peter and Diana’s ceremony. Diana is worried by Phil saying that he doesn’t believe he raped her the night she got pregnant; she is worried that Phil will say something awful about her.  Lucille and Audrey realize that they may have a problem now that neither of their husbands are working.  Jane insists that Augusta join her and Henry for dinner and she reluctantly agrees.  

Thursday, November 28: Pre-empted; Thanksgiving.

Friday, November 29: Pre-empted; football.