GH: Classic Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

Beverly… But that was dropped pretty fast even though it was running for a while and whenever the other female leading characters had their disco dancing sessions with Richard he was giving advice to Beverly and helped. He was used in minor scenes here and there.

im currently on August 1981 but dropped it to watch Y&R and in 81 his appearances slimmed down and he didn’t appear much and his sessions were dropped too.

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thank you both!  Now that you both say that I do think I remember reading about that.   

It seems like he enjoyed his time at GH and that's nice.  Am I right to think GH made him very popular?  Or was Richard popular before?  

• Members

You're welcome! Both GH and TRSS are plugged on the cover of Richard's Never Say Diet from 1980. Speaking of that, I still smirk at Richard throwing in a plug for the "Live-it" plan while talking to Bryan on the day of Luke & Jennifer's ill-fated wedding.

• Members

I think there was potential for both characters prior to Gloria Monty returning to the credits in February, 1991, even though she was back in the studio in early December, 1990. I think Edge's potential was long gone by the time Monty is in the credits, but Cheryl should have been kept around as a roadblock for Anna/Robert at the very least. Could you imagine Cheryl hooking up with Mac just to get to Robert? 

Palumbo sets up Cheryl and Edge for several different scenarios which were equally interesting to me, but never crossed their paths the way I would. Palumbo brought Cheryl Stansbury back in September, 1990, at the bequest of Tracy Q as she is trying to build some business acumen and take control of ELQ. She wants Cheryl as her financial advisor as she had previously advised Edward, who is "dead" at this point in the story. Cheryl comes back and the set up is clear that Robert is going to be the father of Cheryl's baby, but there is also a brief flirtation/chem test between Cheryl and Ned Ashton. Tracy wants Ned/Cheryl so that Ned will get his mind off Dawn. Cheryl and Ned interact a bit at ELQ but it never goes very far. 

With the Robert thread, it would have been easy to tell an Edge / Anna / Robert / Cheryl story with Edge being a real Jerome claiming he is an imposter because he wants Anna. Anna and Robert growing closer because of Robin's machinations and desire to see her parents reunite. Cheryl aligning herself with Edge hoping that Edge can win Anna so she can have Robert. Eventually, I would have Edge convince Cheryl to keep custody of baby Lucas she should present a stable family life (either leaning into Cheryl's mental instability or even allowing Edge to gaslight Cheryl). I'd have Cheryl and Edge unite to raise Lucas, claiming he's a Jerome, so that they could get the inheritance money that Lucy had wanted. I'd have had Lucy press Ned to pursue Cheryl as well in order to get information about the inheritance (as she was the original heir to the diamonds because she "found" them). Cheryl and Edge would cause conflict for Robert / Anna as they both begin to suspect something is amuck. 

The other possibility presented was going with an Edge / Dawn / Decker / Ned / Cheryl situation. In this alternate scenario, I would still have Edge pursuing Dawn because he thought she had money but then allowing Ned to be jealous of Edge's relationships with both Dawn and Cheryl, with Decker's business relationship with Edge complicating things as Decker and Edge started to present themselves as more serious power brokers in Port Charles' business community through the involvement in their ad agency. 

Ultimately, Riche/Levinson (and possibly Maralyn Thoma, if she was still there) made the right choice in killing off Cheryl and presenting a custody fight between Tiffany and Bobbie over Lucas. 

I'm reaching the end of February, 1991. The Monty revamp is wild. It is completely different show. The issue that I am mostly seeing is the emphasis on the Eckerts has destabilized the existing cast. One of the issues is that the show seems to want to present class conflict between the Eckerts vs. the Quartermaines, which I find intriguing, in theory. Though, I think part of the issue is that the size of the Eckert and Quartermaine sets means that both sets cannot be used in the same episode. Most of February Quartermaine scenes were set in the Q gatehouse, which I suspect was so that Monty and team could have the Eckert sets constructed. 

In regards to the Eckerts themselves, they need work. It seems like Norma Monty is writing "Ryan's Hope" fan fiction with an Italian/German working class family who run a bakery. The family is loud and boisterous and talking a lot about how they are a family without really defining the characters as well as they should. Sly is the cute kid. Fred the strict father. Angela the mediator mother. Joey is a womanizer. Jenny is flaky jumping from cause to cause. Bill is a man trying to pick up the pieces of his life after losing his job and his wife (Nancy has recently left him it seems). The two second generation Eckerts have potential. Jenny has recently been humbled when she decides to crash the Quartermaines formal function thinking it is a society bash and not Dawn's memorial reception. Bill seems to be trying to navigate the thinly drawn feud between the Eckerts and Spencers while also trying to defend himself against sabotage charges. 

One of my bigger issues with the Bill story is it runs directly up against Decker falsely being accused of murdering Dawn at the end of the video piracy plot featuring the Berlin gangsters. Bill and Decker having to both defend themselves at the same time seems like overkill. Though, it may be worth noting (if I didn't already) that it is the Wish version "Die Hard" villains in the piracy story who first make mention of Eckerts bakery when the main villain (Hans?) goes on the campiest of hedonistic declarations about how wonderful the Eckert streussel is while threatening to end Edge's life. 

The goodbyes are constant. Colton, Carla, Frankie, and Charlene are all shipped off to Colton's cattle ranch in Santa Mauro while Decker and Dawn are left to die at Body Heat. Simone has escaped to Bucharest to help the war orphans leaving Tom and the Hardys to raise Tom, Jr. At least Steve and Audrey get some reflective scenes raising Tom Jr. Edge is caught by the German villains after bludgeoning Dawn to death. We still have Decker left to depart and then at some point I think Larry Ashton fades out, but I am not exactly clear when that is. 

Even in the exiting stories, the Eckerts are centered. When Dawn and Decker get engaged, at the bakery, it is done in a wideshot so we can see clearly Fred and Angela Eckert watching the event. If there were more depth to the family, I could enjoy it, but so many scenes are just them yelling. It's like that was the defining trait of working class families on soaps in the early 1990s (Addie Walsh treated the Slavinski/Rescott crew similarly on "Loving.") The sinking of the ELQ Tracy would have meant more if the characters had appeared prior to all this heightened drama. 

Also, a lot of the secondary players are starting to find there way into the story. Finian arrives as part of Mac's community service after hitting Guy Lewis and Scorpio while alsoscratching Frisco. Stacey Cortez is appearing very early as Sheila Cantillion (in a scene at the hospital with Joey trying to help him get a job). Joseph Whipp I think appeared in late January as Marty the cannery foreman who will appear through at least March, 1992. Noah Blake has started as Patrick Pulaski, who I suspect was suppose to be a slightly bigger role. He was working at the cannery and was fired by Ned only to work at Wyndham's as a mannequin repairman. He's Jenny's initial partner in crime who Jenny drags to the Qs with Jenny's intention for reading the Qs for filth for the excess and greed. It is a beautiful moment when Anna (who knows Jenny through Robin) relays the information that this is a funeral reception and pompous Jenny is humbled.  Patrick's sister Carol has yet to be introduced, but she becomes a love interest for Bill briefly. Their father was smentione,d but I don't think seen. The family is Polish-Irish because it seems a Monty mandate is we know everyone's ethnicity and talk about things like the Gulf War, PCB chemicals, Romanian orphans, the recession, etc. 

To at least compliment something, I do appreciate the more serious tone that the material is presented in. I just find it very hard to cover with the story because it's  all deconstruction or construction. It's very odd. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

@dc11786 I watched 1991, and more recently read the plot summaries.

One issue that stuck with me was Bobbie's return to the hospital.  It was a big deal when she left during the adoption story.  Then, suddenly, she returned, just in time for Bill's injury and hospitalization.

Similarly, I recall a rift between Bobbie and Ruby over Bobbie's myopic view toward the adoption.  Then, it is suddenly repaired when Bobbie calls Ruby to come to GH to look at Bill.  Ruby then has the unenviable job of explaining how the Eckarts have always lived in Port Charles, but they never spoke to the Spencers because of conflict between the two families. (no mention of whether the Eckarts were p.o.'ed that they never got to meet Liz Taylor

Please register in order to view this content

).  There's also no reconciliation between Angela and Ruby that I recall, they just get over it.

Was the change in Bobbie's circumstance and demeanor as abrupt as I remember?

Also, I recall Bobbie being in her nurse's uniform when she met Bill.  However, I seem to remember that she and the student nurses more often wore scrubs, rather than white dresses and hats, prior to Monty's return.  is that correct?

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

They are exactly that. It's insane. I could've sworn a few of those dudes were actually in Die Hard lol. I envy you your access, I have only seen a handful of eps between February through to mid-March.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Monty loved those nurse’s uniforms with the hats.

As we have discussed before, I think Monty had the right idea. A more grounded GH with socioeconomic differences was the way to go. She just didn’t invest in strong enough writers to accomplish what she wanted. Which was a repeated flaw on her part. I felt her GH during her original run was stronger during Marland and PFS’s two runs than it was with lesser writers.

The constant departures did not help- some she pushed through, and some were people just wanting to leave. And as embattled as she became, she lost her two biggest stars with Finola and Tristan being tired of the grind and her.

Riche and Levinson took those bones and made something more watchable out of them, and it really takes off with Labine.

• Members

Regarding the Eckerts mentioned above, there have been a couple instances in current day GH where characters have gotten food from an Eckerts bakery and @dc11786 mentioned they used to own one. Is there a blatant connection there or just a coincidence?

• Members

Long time no post!  Life and work gets in the way...let us take a journey back to the fall of 1974!

Monday, September 2, 1974: Hayes Colman tells Kira that Cameron Faulkner, her ex-husband is coming to town and Kira is expected to interview him; Kira is not eager to pursue the interview, but Colman implies that it would be unhealthy for her career if she didn’t do it.  Al tells Augusta that if he doesn’t hear anything about Lucille’s condition soon, he’s going to see her.  Lesley tells Joel that she hopes Owen’s move to Diana’s apartment works and covers her dismay; she believed in Diana and Peter.  Joel tells Owen he can leave the hospital tomorrow; Owen shares his excitement with Augusta, and they talk about Martha; Augusta tells him that Peter is not Martha’s father; Owen says he hasn’t had his own children --up to now.

Tuesday, September 3: Al tells Jessie he is leaving his job to be with Lucille.  Peter returns and tells Jessie he has a new perspective; he hopes he and Diana can work out their problems; Jessie is about to tell him that Owen is moving into Diana’s apartment, but Augusta interrupts.  After Jim defends himself against more complaints from Steve, Steve finds a liquor bottle in Jim’s desk.  Peter tells Diana he hopes that they can work out their problems and that she’ll wear her wedding ring; when Diana tells Peter that Owen is moving in with her today, Peter is stricken.

Wednesday, September 4: Augusta asks Jessie if she thinks Phil would ever come back.  Owen arrives with Joel at Diana’s apartment; Peter is there, making it awkward.  At the free clinic, Joel admires Lesley and makes his attraction known by kissing her.  Kira talks to Steve about what it was like being married to Cameron.  Augusta speculates what it would mean if she got pregnant with Peter’s child; Peter arrives at Augusta’s apartment.

Thursday, September 5: Jessie goes to Diana’s to help with Martha and Owen; Diana reveals her uncertainty in her feelings for both Owen and Peter.  Peter tells Augusta how shocked he was when he learned that Owen was moving in with Diana; he tells her how he would have liked his own child, and that he needs her as a refuge.

Friday, September 6: Jane receives a call from Howie (one-sided call), who remembered that it is Joanne’s birthday. Peter and Diana cross paths in the course of hospital business; Peter is bitter and uncommunicative; Joel asks Diana if she regrets having Owen stay with her; she has to swallow a large lump in her throat before she says “No regrets”; later, Diana tells Owen that Phil is Martha’s father and that she had a hysterectomy; Owen is forgiving and loving and tells her that she has suffered too much.  Joel and Jim go over Owen’s test results and they indicate the condition may go into intractable heart failure.

Monday, September 9: Augusta admits to Jane she has thought about what it would be like to be married to Peter.  Steve confronts Jim about the bottle in the desk drawer; Jim insists that he only drinks when his hand is bothering him; Steve accuses Jim of using his hand as an excuse to drink.  When Joel wonders whether it’s wise for Diana and Owen to get involved, Augusta urges him not to interfere and spoil their happiness.

Tuesday, September 10: Jessie is surprised to learn that Kira was once married to Cameron.  Peter apologizes to Diana for his behavior, and says that if Owen makes her and Martha happy, then he is glad.  Lee finds Jim at home drunk; Lee tells him that Audrey has been calling, unable to reach him; Jim says he can’t really be worried about himself or Audrey, but he is worried for Diana, who is falling in love with a guy who has no future.  Diana tucks Owen in for the night, when an inebriated Jim arrives; he tells Diana that Owen is going to die.

Wednesday, September 11: Henry gets a letter from Mai-Lin.  Diana tells Lee to restart the divorce action and that she wants it done in a hurry; Lee knows the real reason for her urgency; Diana tells Owen that she will marry him as soon as the divorce is finalized; he expresses his hopes and dreams and she tries to support them; she has made him the happiest man on earth.

Thursday, September 12: Jessie gets word that Lucille is better.  Diana tells Jessie and Lesley she is marrying Owen. Owen and Joel return from a shopping trip during which Owen had purchased an engagement ring.  Lee tells Kira that he had a meeting with Cameron and passes along that Cameron will be seeing her soon; Kira is noticeably disturbed; later, she tells Steve that whenever she and Cameron are in the same room there is never a long period of tranquility.  Joel tells Owen that in all probability Owen will die in a matter of weeks; Owen is devastated.

Friday, September 13: Peter receives the divorce papers.  Steve tells Lee that Jim has been drinking at work; Lee urges him to wait until Audrey is back to see if that helps Jim.  Lesley and Joel flirt after work at the free clinic.  Steve and Kira have had a pleasant dinner when Cameron arrives.  Augusta tells Peter there is a rumor going around that Diana is going to marry Owen.

Monday, September 16: Steve tells Jessie he met Cameron; Steve senses a spark of interest left between Kira and Cameron, a spark he didn’t like.  Diana goes to Jim and confirms what she already knew - that Owen is going to die; Diana says she hopes that Owen never finds out.  Cameron watches Kira work at the television studio; he tells her that he wants to see more of her.  Diana doesn’t understand when Owen tells her he thinks they should wait before getting engaged.

Tuesday, September 17: Steve welcomes Audrey back and Kira watches with envy, seeing how much they still care for each other; Steve tells Audrey that Jim has neglected his responsibilities at the hospital; she urges Steve to wait to do anything until she talks to Jim; Steve tells Kira there seems to be a magnetism between her and Cameron; she is pleased to think he might be jealous.  Peter confronts Diana with the divorce papers and asks if she is planning on marrying Owen; he doesn’t understand how she can just turn off her feelings for him; Diana’s answer that Owen is suffering gives him the message that there is something less than love in her feelings for Owen.

Wednesday, September 18: Audrey is shocked when Jim tells her he’s been at the hospital, knowing that is untrue.  Lee brings Jane divorce papers.  Joel urges Owen to return to the hospital; he refuses, and he doesn’t want Diana to know he is dying.  Audrey confronts Jim with the fact that he wasn’t at the hospital; she tells him that if he has a problem, then they both have problems; he tells her that he’s not planning to drag her down and he’s capable of handling his problems himself.

Thursday, September 19: Steve tells Henry that Mr. Baxter has arranged for Henry to go to China to care for Mai-Lin’s father.  Cameron tells Lee he hopes to get a controlling interest in Kira’s television station.  When Diana wishes Peter a happy birthday, Augusta rushes out and gets him a gift.  When Kira asks Steve for a referral for a doctor for Cameron, Steve refers her to Lesley.  Diana tells Owen she loves him and that she should have told him sooner.

Friday, September 20: Diana almost catches Owen in the act of packing.  Lesley agrees to meet with Cameron in a social setting, and thinks it might be fun.  Audrey calls Lee and says that she is beginning to believe that Jim is an alcoholic. Joel is outraged to discover Jim has told Diana that Owen has not got long to live.  After Diana has gone to sleep, Owen packs his suitcase, calls a taxi and leaves.

Monday, September 23:  Augusta is hurt when Peter is business-like and remote.  Diana wakes up to discover that Owen has left.  Peter offers Diana extra money to help take care of Owen and Martha, confusing her feelings.  Augusta is concerned that Owen and Diana are having problems; she seeks out and finds Phil’s address.  Diana learns that Owen knows that he is going to die and that is the reason he left.

Tuesday, September 24: Kira plans a party for Cameron.  Diana asks Lee’s help in finding Owen.  Joel deeply resents Jim’s interference in Owen’s case.  Joel tells Steve that Jim has done a lousy job at administering the cardiac unit.  Jessie spends the evening with Diana; Lee calls and tells Diana that he has learned Owen took a cab to the airport; he promises to try to find out what plane Owen took.

Wednesday, September 25: Augusta gets Peter to agree to come over.  Owen, in a cabin, begins to unpack - he is in considerable pain.  Steve tells Audrey that there have been more complaints about Jim; she admits that Jim can’t be the man he wants to be because he is dependent on alcohol; Steve sympathetically points out that it means that Jim must leave the hospital.

Thursday, September 26: Lee tells Diana that Owen took a plane to Sacramento, and then rented a car.  Audrey asks Joel to support Jim and reminds him that he’s indebted to Jim, who helped save Owen’s life; Joel understands, but also knows that Jim could endanger a patient’s life.  Hayes Colman calls to ask Lesley to the party in honor of Cameron - she accepts; Hayes then questions Kira as to why she had him invite Lesley; Joel is surprised that Lesley accepted, but feels he has no right to object; Lesley is disappointed he didn’t.

Friday, September 27: Thurston gives Steve a resignation letter for Jim to sign; Audrey tells Jim that Thurston has called several times; he tells her that if she talks with Thurston she is to say she hasn’t seen him.  Lee gives Jane the dissolution of marriage papers and Jane worries that Howie will try to take Joanne away from her.  Lesley is nervous when she meets Cameron; he is immediately attracted to her.  Jim tears the drafted resignation letter to shreds.

Monday, September 30: Diana receives a call from Joel, who thinks Owen went to a cabin he owns near Lake Tahoe. Lesley charmingly refuses when Cameron invites her to show him the town.  Peter is disturbed to find Diana packing to go to Tahoe; she is disorganized and full of vague plans.

• Members

We saw a very pregnant Jenny once after they had been gone for a while, and IIRC Sly lived with her offscreen after Bill was killed and he was friends with Lucky.

I think the mentions, especially when RC was the HW were deliberate.

• Members

Totally agree.  I remember Jenny coming back and saying she was in PC when she was pregnant and no one ever said Sly moved away-he just stopped appearing.   I can't really recall all the details of Paul coming back more recently and all that.  I just know I have always assumed some Eckerts still lived in PC and the bakery exists and the mentions were intentional.