GH: Classic Thread

• Members

We're getting closer to the murder of Phil Brewer!  Here's October 1974.

Tuesday, October 1, 1974: Joel gives Diana directions to Owen’s cabin; Steve approves for Diana to leave; Peter admits to Augusta that he is puzzled by the fact that Diana is following Owen; Augusta tells Peter that the reason is simple - Diana loves Owen - and Owen loves Diana and Martha.  Steve tells Jim that he will no longer be allowed to remain on staff; Jim blames Joel.

Wednesday, October 2: Jim tells Audrey he has been fired.  Al is welcomed home.  Joel tells Lesley that Jim told Diana the truth about Owen’s health and he doesn’t know what to do to help either of them.  Slightly drunk, Jim congratulates Joel on becoming the head of the cardiac unit; Jim’s anger at Joel takes a physical form - he crushes Joel’s right hand with his left.

Thursday, October 3: Jim tells Audrey of a few futile calls he made in an effort to find out if he could be placed on the staff of another hospital; he confesses how he tried to injure Joel’s hand; Audrey is shocked and Jim says he is going to attempt an experiment: how many drinks will it take to get Joel out of his head.  Diana finds Owen at the cabin; realizing Owen’s fear, she leads him to believe she knows nothing of his condition; they struggle to maintain the pretense that Owen is going to be alright.

Friday, October 4: Joel tells Lesley that Diana found Owen and that Owen is not well; Joel is going there this weekend; Joel is concerned to learn that Lesley has agreed to see Cameron again.  Audrey apologizes to Joel for Jim’s hurting him, but then finds herself implying that Joel is responsible for Jim’s dismissal; when Audrey returns home, she is met with Jim having packed; Jim tells her he is going to Massachusetts to meet an old friend, Jack Ritter.  Augusta comes home to find a letter from Phil; he is in Chicago, but promises to see her soon.

Monday, October 7: Joel arrives at the cabin; he begins an examination despite Owen’s protests; Owen admits that he is very concerned about Diana.  Peter asks Lesley why Diana and Joel followed Owen; Lesley says she can’t break confidence in telling him, but says she does not know how he can help.  Steve and Cameron wait for Kira at the station; Cameron is irritated that she is more attentive to Steve.

Tuesday, October 8: Augusta asks Jessie how Diana’s behavior would change if Phil were to come to town.  Owen urges Joel to leave, saying that if he stays longer Diana will start to worry about Owen’s health.  Steve tells Audrey that Joel is not to be blamed for Jim’s dismissal; Audrey realizes she has blamed Joel erroneously.  Owen gives Joel some parting advice on finding happiness - Joel needs to learn to give of himself.

Wednesday, October 9: Cameron tells Lee he has purchased Channel 8 and intends to make Kira general manager.   Lesley is about to leave home when Cameron arrives; she agrees to see him again, but another time.  Owen and Diana maintain the pretense that they have a future together; Diana makes Owen promise to stay with her when he’s better, but she has to leave.

Thursday, October 10: Henry returns from China and tells Steve that Mai-Lin’s father has tuberculosis and she doesn't know if she will ever come back.  Joel tells Diana that Owen’s latest tests are not good; Joel tells Peter that Owen is dying and Diana knows, but that Owen isn’t aware she knows; Diana is cutting Owen’s hair and he is trying to persuade her to go; she agrees that their love won’t die if they are apart, but she says she won’t leave yet.

Friday, October 11: Lee encourages Audrey to call Jack Ritter in Boston to check on Jim; she discovers Jim is at a party and she is worried about his drinking.  Lesley and Joel discuss Owen and Diana.  Augusta is stunned when Phil shows up at her door.

Monday, October 14: Jessie calls Augusta to ask if she can come in as the hospital is short-handed; Phil listens in and tries to get Augusta to say “hello” to Jessie for him, without success; Phil tells Augusta the he plans to talk to Diana; he is optimistic that they can love each other again.  Joel tells Lesley he would like to get intimate with her, but that Jessie’s house is not the proper place.

Tuesday, October 15: Peter rents a cabin near Owen’s and persuades the owner to give Diana a note from him.  Audrey gets a call from Jack Ritter, who is looking for Jim; Jack hasn’t seen Jim since the party; Audrey is very worried.  Phil is concerned when he learns that Diana is in Tahoe and that Martha has a cold; he wants to be sure she is alright.

Wednesday, October 16: Diana reads Peter’s note - - he is waiting nearby if she needs him.  Phil arrives at Diana’s to check on Martha; he is overwhelmed at seeing her and tells her that he’s back for good.

Thursday, October 17: Henry is offended when Jane suggests that if things don’t work out with Mai-Lin they will eventually with someone else.  Hayes Colman tells Kira someone bought the station.  Peter tells Mr. Wiebe that he isn’t planning on leaving the cabin anytime soon.  Audrey asks Lee if she should go to Boston to look for Jim.  Diana and Owen get spiritually married.

Friday, October 18: Jessie agrees to cover watching Martha when Mrs. Morgan has to leave.  Joel and Lesley josh about the first impressions they had of each other; he is delighted to hear that Jessie isn’t going to be home until the morning. Jessie is stunned to learn from Mrs. Morgan that Phil came to see Martha.  Peter is startled by a knock on the cabin door; he opens it to find Diana weeping -- though no words are exchanged, we know that Owen has died.

Monday, October 21: Peter tries to comfort Diana about Owen.  Phil reveals to Augusta his dislike of Peter, angering her with what he says; she is pleased that Phil is interested in reuniting with Diana and Martha, but a bit guilty and afraid. Lesley and Joel have a happy time after an intimate evening; Peter telephones and tells Joel that Owen has died.

Tuesday, October 22: Lesley tries to comfort Joel.  Diana wakes up to find Peter sleeping in a chair.  Jessie tells Steve that Phil is in town. Jim returns and admits to Audrey he has been drinking.

Wednesday, October 23: Kira resists Cameron’s attempts in renewing their relationship.  Phil arrives at Jessie’s house, she is tense and nervous; Jessie tells Phil that Peter and Diana still love each other; he refuses to believe it.  Audrey tells Lee that Jim is back, but their problems are not solved.

Thursday, October 24: Audrey is concerned to hear Al talking about retiring.  Lee tells Jane that Howie has signed the divorce papers, and only requests visiting privileges with Joanne.  Jim tells Audrey he has decided he does not want to move east and wants to be reinstated at General Hospital; he wants Audrey to use her influence with Steve.  Diana expresses her gratitude to Peter for him being with her, but beyond that, she needs time to sort her feelings.

Friday, October 25: Audrey, quite apologetic and embarrassed, tells Steve that Jim wants to be reinstated; Steve does not encourage her.  Jessie asks Lee if Diana can press rape charges against Phil; Lee doesn’t think that would be wise.  Phil is angry with Augusta, feeling she misled him; he tells her that Jessie said that Peter and Diana are very much in love; Augusta denies it - - proves it by telling Phil she is pregnant with Peter’s child.

Monday, October 28: Jessie cautions Mrs. Morgan not to mention to Diana that Phil has been there to see the baby. Audrey reports to Jim that Steve wasn’t very encouraging in her plea to have him reinstated.  Phil realizes that no one else knows that Augusta is pregnant by Peter.

Tuesday, October 29: Kira asks Lesley to please see Cameron again, she is worried about his health; Lesley tells her that her nights are now not as free as they used to be; Joel returns, and Lesley is very happy to see him; he tells her that he likes their relationship as it stands, but he doesn’t want more of a commitment; Lesley has some deep private, unexpressed doubts.  Steve joins Jim and Audrey for dinner; Audrey is shocked when Jim tells Steve he has stopped drinking.

Wednesday, October 30: Lee offers to talk to Jim about AA, but Audrey points out that Jim doesn’t think he drinks too much; Lee says that AA can’t help Jim until he recognizes he has a problem.  Phil goes to the Hobart apartment to talk to Jim about rejoining the cardiac unit; he finds Jim drinking and disheveled.  Diana and Peter return, and we get the feeling they will be getting together.

Thursday, October 31: Jessie tells Augusta, quite intensely, that she hopes Augusta will use her influence to get Phil to leave.  Cameron makes another attempt to further his relationship with Kira.  Lee tells Jessie that Diana has called off the divorce.  Peter tells Augusta that he and Diana have a chance and that his friendship with Augusta has been great, but it has to end.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

I have been watching a bunch of sequential 1978 episodes recently after seeing a clip online of early Bobbie on a tribute to Jackie. It is so much fun to watch Bobbie be awful to Laura. I get why the audience hated Bobbie but loved Jackie right away. She’s so good at switching from bubbly to vicious!

Monty’s plan to use Laura to get younger viewers would have worked on me when I was a teenager, I would have eaten this up.

Young Scotty is so hot, and nothing like the Scotty I met later on. He and Bobbie kind of traded places- she became the upstanding and well respected member of the community, and Scotty the scheming, devious but still charming jackass.

I also enjoy how much Genie brings to the table- she gets to be a basket case and also give it to Bobbie right back. She’s so young and she already has many layers while playing Laura. If the younger Emmy  category had existed back then she would have had a shelf full of them.

The only bad thing in these episodes was the introduction of Ann Logan, the worst character ever, and I was watching when Sonny fell for Angel, so that is saying a lot.

It’s interesting to watch the show when every single thing is working (except Ann but she’s only been on once so far), and now when it’s such a hot mess.

Edited by titan1978

• Members
Posted (edited)

I went back through some of that '78 stuff a year or two ago. Bobbie was insanely evil to Laura, just relentless. Sarah or Laura's Carlys at their most driven would've had a run for their money. I knew she was a vixen but I didn't know Bobbie got down like that.

The best work I think I maybe ever have seen Jackie do though, I could only find once in a clip shown during one of the televised soap awards ceremonies, I think from the '90s - it was part of a larger full broadcast posted on YT. It was a clip from '78 or '79 when Scott finally rejects Bobbie in full and she completely loses her mind on him. She was absolutely white hot. I'll have to find it again someday.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If it’s what I am thinking of, It’s from that special celebrating soaps that covered all three networks in the early 90’s. Tony Geary and IIRC Melody Thomas Scott introduce a clip package and Jackie. She is so fantastic in that clip, I think it ends with her saying that Scotty and the Webbers make her sick! She talks about Elm street and why she has to fight for what she wants.

Starts around 1:25

https://youtu.be/Fv28SZoEpMk?si=UDONaQdrGYswr063

• Members

I know the person that recorded these GH tapes and they always cut the opening and closing credits which was maddening.  I have my own personal tapes I recorded from this time frame of December 1990 and all through 1991. As I was watching and recording GH daily through most of the 80s (and a big Monty fan)  to keep and save the show with end credits. Please let me know the specific day and possible date you want me to review the end credits from 90-91 and I can provide anything you want to know about them. 

• Members

It's nobody's business but yours of course, but if you ever choose to find a safe and secure way to put up that material somewhere I hope you'll let us know. This kind of archiving is invaluable. Thanks for all you do.

• Members

Do you do any Video Editing? Some compilations of closing credits would be amazing. Also invaluable. There is YouTube & there are many known bad things about it, but there's also good things. There is a Russian competitor, ok.ru & it works fine & you don't need to know Russian. There is another competitor NOT RUSSIAN, rumble.com & it seems to be as good as YouTube without the bad things about it. However, of course, it doesn't currently have the tons of videos that YouTube has. If you are interested, I could do some screen captures, etc. to show you. 

And, of course, your whole episodes would be the most invaluable of all!!!! I am in awe of anyone who has a collection like this. I let so much just go by.