Soapnet's post AMC schedule

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I really really want to see:

OLTL 1991. All of it. I don't care that a lot of it will suck, because I know that already, I just need to see the full transition, since few shows have ever gone through such a major change.

• Members

Now that I am certain of, Carl: Born's issues stemmed from conflicts with McTavish on the character direction of Jim. It wasn't a pretty time for McT. She even had to respond to reports that Agnes Nixon was no longer consulting with the show, in protest of Broderick's ousting. It's been in print in SOD/SPW, but I did deeper research on all of it when I started working for a publication not too long after that time. It was kind of fascinating, really... It's where and how I learned about this more "businesswoman" angle of McTavish that ABC seemed to find so attractive at times.

You just reminded me of something I totally forgot... McT's story of Adam switching the sperm samples. Even Marcy Walker spoke out on how the story was being treated like romantic comedy - that she felt it was a "tantamount to rape" (no surprise from McTavish) and that the writing was trivializing the issue. ABC was wearing some serious egg on its face regarding the show. By early 1999, I was working... there were rumors that McT hadn't been leading the writing team, and that it was Agnes again. And the tone of the show by February had definitely changed. It wasn't until the press started poking them that they finally confirmed, and I think this was around April, that Agnes was officially head writing and that McTavish was "consulting" for Daytime. (We would later find out that was for OLTL, which she would take over.) It was like Angela Shapiro wanted her dismissal to be a non-event, and they didn't want to concede "well, yeah, we really screwed up on this one." As Adam said above, they did let her have pretty much unlimited control over story - which is what she fought for and lost with Felicia Behr years earlier. That was ABC's big mistake, and I think they made it again around 2005.

• Members

That's interesting. I still read the soap magazines then...I guess I forgot this or didn't buy those issues. I always thought it was what he had before McTavish took over that caused him to leave.

I always wondered exactly what Agnes thought of the show in the late 90's. Even when she returned to AMC there was so much stuff I hated, and I quit watching for a while as a result. I think Disney buying ABC crippled AMC more than it did any other soap.

• Members

That's fascinating about the "romantic comedy." At the time I didn't see the story that way, as I thought we were supposed to believe Adam was doing something awful, but they definitely didn't play it up enough. Even when the story ended, it turned into panic room comedy and a pie in the face.

• Members

You would think that the molester angle would be what an actor wouldn't want to play, but apparently it's exactly what Born signed up for and he took it very seriously. I obviously don't know what was in his head, but his conflict was with McTavish and the whole terrorist thing was the element she added. He was openly pissed that Broderick was released, too. His exit on-screen practically coincided with her material changing over to McTavish's. He hurt his rep, unfortunately, with the way he handled it. But he would end up a few years later back with ABC at OLTL (again with Broderick writing).

I learned later, obviously, that it was Disney that led to Behr's dismissal... and Robin Mattson's, which of course was later reversed.

• Members

In the first few years you'd mostly just get anti-gay "humor" from Greenlee, a lot of time spent with Greenlee whining about her daddy, and a lot of time spent on gasping, pathetic Laura. The most interesting stuff was when Laura became a bitch and Jake/Greenlee started. That was around late 2001, I think. It was the only time I enjoyed Greenlee, before she just started saying, "Take me to Paris!" and berating Leo for not hating his entire family.

In one of the worst soap stories of all time, although that wasn't just her, it was about 3 or 4 other writers. I will never understand why that story had to be what it was.

• Members

i think there is a huge difference between hating people because they are gay, and hating someone because you are jealous and trying to do anything to hurt them. She didnt go after Bianca cuz she was gay, she went after her because she was jealous. To me, thats not the same at all.

• Members

To me if you immediately use someone's sexuality as a cheap shot, then you may not have all that much respect for GLBT people in general. But I guess that's water under the bridge now. It's just one of the reasons I didn't like those episodes, one of many.

Archived