OLTL: Actor leaving?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately one of the worst things Frons ever did was legitimize the epic narcissism required to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a "fake" fan. His "Real Greenlee" bullsh!t really resonated with some people and gave rise to this sort of soap McCarthyism. I'm well documented as someone who doesn't take to recasts. Even as wonderful as CBL is on AMC I still don't consider her my Bianca but she is Bianca. I've never called her "fake" Bianca. I had nothing but love for "fake" Kevin, (Gauthier) even though I adored "real" Kevin (Stapleton). The real/fake Todd garbage reeks of insecurity and seems so unwarranted for this Brett Favre of OLTL. Let people like who they like.

• Members

For me the "real" stuff is more about the impression an earlier actor gave than the work of their replacement. When Sherry Stringfield left GL, I just couldn't accept Liz Keifer. Finally after about 3-4 years I did learn to accept her and like her eventually got to the point where, a few years ago, I was even coming up with all sorts of ideas about how Connie O'Neill and Clint Buchanan could be paired up, but it's still tough for me, even after almost 20 years, to see anyone but Sherry as the "real" Blake.

It's trickier with Todd because RH lost interest years before he left the show. Ultimately I just think what Todd represents is exactly what I wish wasn't clogging up OLTL's last year...but then, I'm in the minority on that.

• Members

I thought I was the only person who felt that way about Sherry Stringfield. I loved Liz Kiefer. I think she's wildly talented and did a fantastic job. But I never stopped imagining Sherry as Blake. Just like I never stopped imagining Mia Korf as OLTL's Blair. As far as I'm concerned, KDP has always been "fake" Blair the impostor. Just imagine if so-called real Todd were paired with real Blair. Now that's a supercouple.

• Members

I always feel bad about Liz because I can't say she was bad and I can't say she didn't fit the part, the way I can about decent to very good actresses in other roles (Marj as Alex, or KMH as Emily Stewart - both miscast IMHO). But I just loved Sherry so much, she was this mix of vulnerability and fire and fragile strength and great sardonic humor. I never really stopped missing her, even though I know it probably worked out for the best.

• Members

Yeah, I have an old SOD article where Parker says Sherry is one of the first people she called when she booked Tess and another where Betty Rea talks about discovering Sherry at their college showcase knowing they were about to need a new Blake. I also wonder if they keep in touch.

But back to TSJ ;) ...

• Members

Yes, of course. I think TSJ will be fine. He's managed to keep doing outside gigs and has worked with some highly respected actors, producers and directors. Frankly I consider this a case of a baby bird getting a much needed push out of the nest. NYC has reinstated the tax credits for TV/film production and according to an article I read, five new shows are shooting in the city. That's good news for all these actors. Or he can go back out west. Between LA, Portland and Vancouver, there's plenty of opportunity.

• Members

I'm pretty sure it was when we Netflixed Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade, there was a preview for a film starring a younger TSJ. Don't recall the name of it but I'm sure a quick IMDb search could solve that. I was interested in seeing him un-Todd especially seeing as how he strikes me as a guy who would more often than not be cast as a Kevin (that opinion is helped by the fact that he reminds me of Jack Armstrong).

Archived