What is the church suppose to teach us/you?

Soapsuds

• Members

The church, per se, is suppose to offer spiritual enlightenment but lot of people confuse religion and spirituality which perpetrated a universal manipulation of the masses. I've been asking myself for years if God exists and when I was younger one day my father asked me which god I was referring to. I never understood what he meant and he never offered clarification. Of course when I grew older I understood. I've always wondered if the Christian teachings I've received all of my life were real. If the outcomes in my personal life would have been different if I hadn't let the bible control my life. The biggest joke in religion today is Christianity populated by the Pentecostal sect. No where in the bible does it state giving money is the equivalent of "planting seeds" to get God's answer. It's a farce by greedy ministers to get your hard earn money under the guise of tithes and offerings to feed their mega rich lifestyles.

I've dabbled in every church and religion out there and still haven't found what I've been searching for. Christians supposedly serve the same god yet there are twenty two different sects within the religion. It's absurd.

I'm not sure if God exists and I don't know if Jesus Christ is real. There's just simply too much pain and suffering without any answers, but the one thing I do know is that there's a power much greater than myself.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think, as it turns out, for the most part they got the rules right. Thou Shalt Not Kill, Honor Thy Father, Thou Shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, don't bear false witness..these are all pretty decent rules to live by. You can't go wrong with what Moses tells you. I think he even beat unions by a few thousand years and told everyone to take a day off every week.

• Members

Ron I hope you eventually have a good experience. I always have felt having faith in God(if one believes) is a great thing. God has gotten me through so much in my life, especially last year when I had those tragedies in my family. People say I'm strong, but without God I'm not.

God gives us free will for a reason. I had an aunt who was a reverend, I didn't always believe with everything she preached, but that's where free will comes in.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So the friend I thought I had...who I was friends in real life...just deleted me on Facebook for being gay. He goes to church regularly ..I mean everyday. Love what the church is teaching him. To hate gay guys ...to be against gay people.

• Members

Thanks...he actually admitted it. That the church/his beliefs were against homosexuality. He said he didn't like me posting on his wall although I never put anything inappropriate on his wall. He just couldn't be friends with a homosexual/gay guy....just wow.....So I told him there was no point in talking about it since he was set in his beliefs and just to delete me since he didnt want me posting on his wall. It took him 2 seconds to do it.

• Members

It's people like that that make me ashamed to be a Catholic. It's none of anyone's damn business who someone is attracted to or loves. If you're attracted to women, great. If you're attracted to men, great. Whatever makes you happy and puts you at peace. What's important is that your life feels right, and that you have inner peace and happiness. That's what is important, not what sexual orientation you are, or what sex organ the person you love has. I am so sorry that such a bigot and ignorant person came into your life. You're better off without him and his hateful, ridiculous attitude around.

• Members

I do wonder why he came into my life this summer. Was it for me to be shunned because of who I am? He said I was challenging him. I didnt get it at first but now I do. Maybe he was feeling that he could be friends with a gay guy and that truly scared him off. He said I was more sure of myself from the first time we met..whatever that meant. I'm just sitting here shocked.

• Members

I am so sorry you had to experience that. He's no real friend if he can't see beyond his strict beliefs and see you as the person. God. I get so boiled up over religious intolerance, ignorance and just plain stupidity. All religions are cults in my mind. Whether they brainwash you to hate, or drink poison kool-aid... they are all the same to me. I understand there are religious out there that are inclusive, and I praise those organizations... they just seem few and far between.

• Members

I went to an AA meeting tonight, and was surprised to hear a guy say "Atheist's cant get sober and stay sober" and was kind of surprised. Yes, the meeting was at a church and all, and i expected Jesus will save you, but man... It just kinds shocked me honestly.

Good thing im not actually looking to get sober, cuz if i was that comment/view would totally throw me back to the bottle.

• Members

I hadn't seen him for about 2 weeks or so(meaning in person). I hadn't posted on his wall but then started to. He replied to most if not all my postings. Then that night he was laughing at how much more brave I had gotten. How I was challenging him but that it was an ok job but not good enough. I had no idea what he was talking about till later and then it clicked. He actually thought I was trying to come on to him on facebook. We were talking about his work...his future...my job...nothing sexual at all. Was he afraid that what he thought and knew could be wrong?? Was he liking me more than he thought he would. He told me he suspected I was gay a while back but wasnt sure. Now I wonder if he was just playing me and our friendship. He was very weird. He had different sides to him. He enlisted in the Air Force. Does he not realize how many homos as he put it will see him naked in the showers.....haha...he is so clueless. He will probably be friends with a guy who is gay and not even know it.

Archived