What is the church suppose to teach us/you?

Soapsuds

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm assuming you're speaking on the Christian church.

I think the church is suppose to teach about God's love, show how to live in a balance of grace and faith, how to pursue the best for your life, and ultimately how to live by the spirit. Most churches pull to one direction or another, depending on their congregation and those in charge, and skip one area or another.

I also think there's not enough emphasis on history and so tradition beats out a lot of concepts and puts everything into contradiction.

Bible study should accompany all teachings but emphasis on Old Testament causes alot of confusion from church to church. Some churches teach on God's wrath, and others completely forsake Old Testament teachings, and therefore the balance gets lost.

But if God's love isn't in the teaching, it's pretty hard to get the other things working.

I recently saw Brad Pitt in The Tree of Life and walked away really sad about the state of some churches and some of their approaches.

• Members

I don't know what you're referring to or asking about when you ask about "The" church. If you mean the Catholic Church, I have no input other than to say I'm grateful that I'm not Catholic. I read this question more as what is church (generic) supposed to teach you? Or what is "religion" or "faith" supposed to teach us?

The church I chose (as opposed to the one I was raised in) taught me a view of God that finally made sense to me. I learned that God is love. Not that God is a person or a being that loves us but that the terms "God" and "love" are interchangeable. Everytime we express love to another person we are expressing "God" because they are one and the same. It doesn't matter whether that love is romantic, familial, sexual or a larger love of humanity, the expression of any form of love is "God" showing him/her/itself in our lives.

My church/religion/spiritual philosophy gave me a spiritual framework that has outlasted my individual congregation and all the drama that went with it. As someone who did a lot of "church-shopping" including Methodist, Baptist, Judaism, Buddhism, etc..., one thing I learned is that people who think God is on their side are capable of amazing nobility and depravity. Often in the same 60 seconds.

I hope that whatever experience led you to post this was a positive one. I hope this question came about because you witnessed a moment of love and grace and divinity. In short I hope you witnessed a miracle because that's what miracles really are. They are those experiences that make us look at everything differently.

• Members

The church is supposed to teach you to be petrified of going to hell, so you live your life in an orderly manner based upon rules a bunch of somewhat wise men came up with thousands of years ago. If you kill and lead your life in a chaotic manner, you will burn for all eternity, so do what we tell you and you will live happily ever after in heaven.

I think that's all religion is really, trying to explain what happens to you when you die, and to manipulate you into leading an orderly life where you won't cause trouble.

• Members

The main objective of the southern Baptist church most of my family goes to is basically..."Put on nice clothes, smile and laugh in each other's faces, shout 'Praise God,' "Yes lord,' 'Thank you,' and 'Hallelujah,' and sing songs once a week." Oh, and then there's the part where they use all of the above as some bizarre method of believing they are better people than others, including me.

• Members

I think a lot of churches are off par. There are a lot of things I do not agree with in my Church. I find many churches/religions to be quite judgemental and overbearing. So I don't may that much merit to an individual denomination. My relationship is with God and whatever church I choose to interact with God at is just that.

Now that being said, there are things that I do agree with within my church. I do believe in Jesus Christ. However, I think many things in the Bible are misread and manipulated so that certain denominations can preach whatever the founder/leader believes.

I have my own personal beliefs, and if they differ from what my church is teaching me, I don't spend time caring about it. I interact with God and pray, and that keeps me happy. I don't think any one religion should dominate how anyone lives their life. I think that all people should just have inner peace. If your course of life feels right, follow it. I don't think God judges, nor do I think God's beliefs necessarily line up solely with one denomination.

• Members

Really enjoyed your post. The experience was a negative actually that's why I started this thread. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread.

I asked a friend this question earlier and he said it was the way a person interprets what the church is telling him/her. So the church tells us what we should do and be but it's up to the person themselves to interpret how they are to act..behave, treat others.

I guess he(another friend) is going to church but not listening to what he is being told or should I say misinterpreting what he is being told.

He was a good friend. Not sure if he is anymore. He is very religious.

• Members

I'm Catholic, and proud of it. :)

I started going to church at a time where I felt a bit lost in my life. I had not been through any tragedies, horrible things, etc. I was just simply there... and I did not feel my life had much meaning (in a spiritual way, no suicidal thoughts or anything of the kind).

I listened to Mass, and prayed for Faith, prayed for the will and the need to come back next Sunday to listen to the Word of God. Also, I thanked the Lord for his many blessings in my life (family, home, work, etc.). I pray for guidance, calm and peace in my heart; forgiveness for my sins (known and unbeknownst).

That being said, I don't live my life exactly as the Bible, says. And most Catholics don't.

IMO, live your life as you see fit. Mind your own business, and leave others alone. No matter what you do, who you are or what you have done, invite God into your life, with an open and honest heart.

Archived