OLTL: Erika Slezak dishes on some of the men in Viki's life

• Members

Here's my two cents:

First of all, I agree that Joe Riley was, is and will always be Viki's definitive romantic partner. Every clip I've seen of the two outshines anything she had with Clint, even as played by Clint Ritchie, by a mile. Hell, I still recall wishing she'd end up with his long-lost twin brother, Tom Dennison, as a child, lol.

Now, I realize others might take issue w/ what I'm about to say, but in retrospect...? I wish Viki had never remarried after Joe's death.

Perhaps, if I'd never seen Joe and Viki together, I might not feel the same way. Yet, I look even at her marriage to Clint the same as I look at ATWT's Nancy Hughes marrying Lt. Dan McCloskey after Chris' passing, or ANOTHER WORLD's Ada remarrying after Gil McGowan's death, or SEARCH FOR TOMORROW's Jo marrying Martin Tourneur after Tony Vincente's death. There are some characters on soaps for whom there could be only one great love, and once they're gone...yeah, it's sweet to see them have "companions," maybe, but getting remarried? Why bother?

Know what I mean?

Let's put it another way: can you imagine GUIDING LIGHT's Bert Bauer ever remarrying after Bill's death? Or Alice hooking up with someone after Tom Horton died on DAYS?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the Sloan/Viki pairing weakened Viki as a character. She became increasingly weak, emotional, and unable to deal with decisions. It just seemed like Gottlieb's idea of some romantic fantasy. It was also annoying to me that Sloan's homophobia was noble, while Clint's was just bigotry.

With Clint, I felt like Viki could do anything. He might have stomped his feet or yelled and he could be stupid, but he respected her at work and at home, and he loved her children.

Viki was about 30-40 years younger than them. Even then, I could have imagined Bert with someone else, considering her many issues with Bill. The show just didn't want to write that type of story for her.

If they hadn't paired her with Clint, I don't know if Viki would have made it through the 80's. I think she would have been slowly downgraded to a talk-to character and if she was lucky, had Wanda's role.

• Members

They had Viki with nightmares about Sloan turning into Victor, so I think that was their implication.

As for Ben, I just resented the idea that Viki was such a weak character that she needed this half-asleep, barking non-entity to become her whole life. Her family was written as some burden to her compared to this great new love. It was one of those JFP stories where a successful, professional, middle-aged woman has to learn that her life is only about a man - this happened on AW with Felicia, on GL with Vanessa, then on OLTL with Nora and Viki.

• Members

I forgot to say that I did respect Roy Thinnes' performance in the role, which was always top-notch, and I thought he and Erika worked OK together (I just didn't see a lot of chemistry). It was more the show's view of Viki, through Sloan's eyes, that I had issues with.

• Members

yeah there was that. Visually he also resmebled Victor. He had a similar personally as him with the way he was strict, stern and treated his children. I didnt find anything appealing about Sloane and he came between she and Clint so that was an automatic strike in my book

Oh IA on Ben. Its why I disliked she and Charlie bc it was almost a rehash of the same story just with an older man. Ben came across like such an interloper and I hated when JFP tied him to the Buchs

• Members

The scene where Sloan kisses Viki and then when he moves away, he has been replaced by Victor, said it all. It is one of the most disturbing and effective moments ever on soaps and I'm still surprised they got that through.

I didn't realize she addressed this later on, but I'm glad she did, as Viki/Sloan fans didn't deserve that as the last image of their couple.

I didn't mind as much with Charlie because by then Viki really did need a break from her life, but with Ben it was so forced and I just hated all the symbolism of karaoke and Blondie and Mel's ghost and so on, Viki hiding with him in the attic. Ben was so dull and petulant he wasn't worth that.

I thought he got better when Tomlin took over, but then they started the Niki horrors.

• Members

I think the reason Viki has a special place in her heart when it comes to Joey compared to her other kids is because he was named after the love of her life and he was never able to meet his father

• Members

It's hard to say which of her five children she has a soft spot for since they're never together.

I'd venture, though, that Megan reminded her of herself; that Natalie reminds her of Tina; that Kevin possesses Joe's masculine strength; that Joey represents (for Viki) Joe's compassion and heart; and that Jessica, when she isn't acting crazy, reminds her of the better parts of herself and Clint when they were still together.

Archived