The Tina Turner Thread

Soapsuds

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^Haha...

I thought she looked so damn cool in Mad Max and I love Goldeneye. I also love how she goes the extra mile to toss that hair system like "This [!@#$%^&*] is sewed in it's not going ANYwhere."

• 10 months later...
  • Members

In the late 70s she tried to jump on the disco bandwagon with the album Love Explosion. It flopped (somewhat surprisingly--with Cher and others having success with disco, I thought it would work for Tina--) but I kinda like the title track, though ti was probably a mistake to use uber Eurodisco producer Alec Costandinos to produce it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5t-yr9MsWE

And speaking of Cher, I admit while many found it a sell out, I kinda liked the track she did with Cher's Believe producers shortly after, when many older divas were trying the Cher route (admittedly it's a near clone of the Believe formula):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKfn6Qvmb4

• Members

That's a great clip, Cher and Tina are very natural together. I always wonder what Cher thought about Ike Turner and if she ever dealt with him...

Tina's love for Europe really resonates with me. She never forgot where they treated her best. She played small shows in Canada even after her Private Daner comeback because those clubs had treated her well in the lean years.

• Members

"We don't need another hero..."

"I'm a private dancer..."

"What's love got to do with it..."

This woman rocks, quite literally.

They're having a "What's Love Got to Do With it" marathon on one of those channels (Oxygen?) right now. I can't stomach the movie though. Even if I didn't grow up with my father beating the crap out of my mother every other week, that movie is just too traumatic to watch more than once.

• Members

Wow, I am so sorry Angela, smh. I was just going to say, there's a part in the movie around her disco era where they show her kind of down on her luck performing in hotel lounges, complete with drag Tinas in the audience. One of those guys was on one of the judge shows once suing another drag queen and he mentioned he was in the movie, but I digress. One of my favorite music sequences in the film is when she's recordin River Deep, Mountain Wide with the full Wall of Sound orchestra with phil and Ronnie looking on.

• 1 month later...

Archived