Which soap plots do you miss, most?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I miss conversations between characters, and people learning important news. On a good soap, if a person dies, then we see their spouse learn, then each of their children, their relatives, their friends, their co-workers, people who know those people, etc. On ATWT, when Casey Peretti died, we saw everyone from his close friend Frannie to Emmy Snyder, who barely knew him, find out.

• Members

There was some secret paternity drama that happened in my own family and honestly it's still up in the air almost 60 years later because both brothers/potential fathers have passed away and blood tests are a little difficult and in one case impossible at this point. I would love to see such long "forgotten yet not forgotten at all" plots. I always said if I ever wrote a soap I would purposely plan a story with a denouement several years later and tape secret scenes and put them in the can for never seen before flashbacks for a big 20th anniversary story or something. "Wait, I don't remember seeing that! :huh: " Because you DIDN'T! :P

• Members

That type of paternity drama would be riveting. In my family there is that type of unanswered question from many years ago. This is what soaps should be about. It's rarely been tried, and when it is it isn't very well-executed (Eastenders did this with Lou Beale for a misguided "Irish relatives" storyline).

• Members

Yeah and I know in my relatives' case it was a much different time where there was a lot of shame involved not to mention the lack of today's technology. What may have not even been an issue still managed to haunt a couple of people and now the only one left is the child in question.

Cool aMLC, I'll check it out!

• Members

YES! YES! YES! I wrote a story line that when I used to write my own little soaps to keep myself busy. Twenty years! And on the kid's twentieth birthday, alllll hell breaks loose.

We have several big paternity legends in our family. Apparently, it's possible that my dad and godmother are brother and sister because her dad had a thing with his mother back in the day while they were both married to other people. Anyone who knows the truth took it to the grave, but imagine if my grandma had told one relative that she was sure would never be around these parts long enough to spill the beans. Imagine if that person came back, and imagine if she was just far-gone enough to not give a damn anymore. "Boy, that wasn't yo daddy! Yo mama told me years ago that that wasn't yo daddy. Yo daddy is..."

I really need to start writing my own sh!t again to keep myself soapily satisfied.

Archived