Which soap plots do you miss, most?

• Members

Real, slow-building romance, between actors who actually have chemistry. (Think Mac & Rachel, who were never intended to be together until Wyndham and Watson displayed an on-screen spark.) Intergenerational stories (like Ada-Rachel-Nancy and Alice-Hope-Bo, or even better, Alice-Jennifer). Deep explorations of psychological motivations (like '70s DAYS).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, that's one thing I don't miss. I enjoyed the NYC remote during the height of Phillip and Beth's romance on GUIDING LIGHT; by and large, though, I don't believe far-flung, expensive remotes are necessary in order to keep soaps "alive." You could generate just as much drama or spectacle on an average soundstage.

• Members

LOL @ SFK!

Here's one plot I won't miss: I call it the "Black Glove Story." Basically, someone has everyone else in town running scared - but all that we know about the serial killer/stalker/blackmailer is that he (or she) wears - you guessed it - black gloves. (Or white gloves. Or latex gloves. Or a clown's mask. Or a hood and a clown's mask. You get the idea.) IMO, it's often the mark of a HW who is stirring up trouble on the canvas (very often, to bring up the ratings) w/o any clue as to this culprit's identity.

• Members

I use to think that Another World was the most perfect soap and even when it sucked, I loved it. I loved how AW writers could take a simple soap staple and give it new life. It's too easy for soap writers to do a 'back from the dead' storyline. When the writers not only brought Reginald Love back to life, but had the audience learn that he faked his death to also fake the death of Mary McKinnon - even changing her name after she developed amnesia? That crap was priceless. I was actually torn when they came back. Reginald/Mary/Scott - a cute little family and there was something to be said for the real love that Reginald and Mary felt - especially since their affair was supposed to have started before they disappeared.

Archived