So which soap is next to be canceled?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, I think its only a matter of time before we hear that GH has been cancelled. When ABC released their statement regarding the cancellation of OLTL and AMC they stated GH was safe for now. For now to this viewer indicates that cancellation is a strong possibility that is on the horizon the question is when.

Days, Y&R and B&B seem to be the only safe shows right now that are still airing.

• Members

In all honesty...this [!@#$%^&*] ass show should have been canceled long time ago. There is no way in the world this soap would outlast soaps like GL, ATWT, OLTL and AMC. Those shows are more regal.

• Members

ABC is just stupid and doesn't think outside the box. since soaps have a guaranteed built in audience, even if it is small... what they replace it with could get a 0.0 what ABC ahould have done was keep all three soaps they have and add 2 more, one completely new, and then bring back Edge Of Night. Give them a late afternoon slot of 4 PM (Where Oprah is vacating) so get the after school crowd to watch, and have GH on Mondays, AMC on Tuesdays, OLTL on Wednesdays, Edge Of Night of Thursdays, and the new soap on Fridays. The soaps would then be more like prime time soaps in that they air once a week, but they wouldn't go on hiatus, so you'd shoot 52 episodes a year. You could shoot them all over the span of 12 weeks, and then go dark till next year. But they didn't ask me, of course.

• Members

I think DAYS could be the last soap standing because NBC Daytime as a department within NBC no longer exist. When CBS and ABC both have daytime division execs who's sole purpose is to oversee daytime programming AND they are constantly hearing pitches for new programming its easy to see CBS and ABC getting rid of their soaps, where at NBC, DAYS is just there and I think as long as DAYS makes some money for NBC it isn't going anywhere. Now if NBC revives a Daytime division, then things could change. Although I doubt that will happen as two previous daytime network timeslots (they were in the afternoon but now have been transfered to 9-10am and 10-11am) which were programmed by the defunt NBC Daytime division has been turned over to NBC News for the 3rd and 4th hours of TODAY. This is why NBC canned a daytime division as they aren't going to be paying a bunch of execs to oversee one soap with no plans to launch new programming. I think thats the secret behind DAYS recent renewals, NBC's strategy seems to be if it makes some money, we're keeping it, I expect that trend to continue.

• Members

What I want to know is why doesn't FOX pick up one of the cancelled soaps? I know their affiliates ahve nothing but syndicated stuff during the day, but could they TRY something in the 4 PM timeslot? Does Judge Judy really get better ratings than the soaps?

Archived