So which soap is next to be canceled?

• Members

They aren't trying to prove anything. They are taping episodes at a fast pace so the studio can go dark once in a while, it saves them money. And since they only air five episodes a week it means they will keep getting further and further ahead. The fast shooting is all about saving money, they don't care about quality anymore.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't she fired like one week after her first episode aired? They don't listen to some of the things we have say for months and sometimes years. So I doubt they cared about the backlash after just a week. I think they had enough after seeing she still sucked after three months of taping. It would have been the same thing even if they taped a couple of weeks ahead.

• Members

Days of Our Lives and General Hospital will be next if their ratings stay at the bottom of the pack. With only 4 shows left come January, they will be at the bottom along with General Hospital. They both will be gone by 2013. In all, I can see CBS canceling all of thier soaps by 2013 or 2014. It is easier to give the time back to the affalites or to program something cheaper in the time slots.

• Members

I think it's almost appropriate for Days, GH, and Y&R to be the last standing, since each of these shows came to be the "Daytime Face" of their respective networks. These are their signature shows. Some could argue that that should be ATWT in there instead of Y&R.

• Members

My guess is the BnB! (shocker, I know). Someone at CBS has to be thinking about the fact that the other networks are surviving with one soap, why are they still wasting time with two? I don't know, especially with its fallen ratings, if the BnB brings as big a profit margin as a cheaply produced talk show would. Heaven forbid that Moonves miss the opportunity to make his wife a break out star, giving her a show of her own.

• Members

Most daytime programs are hour-long. the track record of 1/2 hour talkshows have been horrible, a gameshow would be the only genre other than soaps that make the 1/2 hour timeslot work. So if CBS wants another gameshow then I see B&B going, other than that I see B&B remaining as a companion soap to Y&R, and both would be cancelled at the same time if CBS wanted out all together.

• Members

I think GH being cancelled in 2012 is pretty much a done deal. However the show's numbers are affected by the performance of the Chew and Revolution, whether positively or negatively, I think the bottom line is that the network wants it gone, and there's no saving it. I think Days is done by 2013. Even if its numbers rebound, and they probably will, as they historically have, I think its ratings are just too erratic to warrant another renewal. I think it's a no-brainer to say that Y&R will be the last soap standing, unless CBS decides it wants out of the soap game altogether, and just cancels Y&R and B&B in one fell swoop. I could seriously see them moving Y&R to prime time and revamping the format to a one-night-a-week soap. Just based on its relatively high ratings, production values, etc., it's the one show I can see succeeding as a prime time soap. That wouldn't shock me at all. There's still a good deal of cache attached to it. It's got a very loyal audience that would probably follow it to prime time.

• Members

I agree with everything you said. And I feel that GH's ratings will be decimated by The Chew/Revolution combo. And even if they are not, I firmly believe that the decision to ditch GH has already been made, and the replacement is probably already in development as well..

God how I wish that Y&R could become the Y&R i used to love. It would be nice to have one good soap left.

• Members

Yep..pretty much!! :( I hate the arrogant MAB so much that I want to be there and see her face when she gets the word!! :mad: Sounds harsh I know but that is how much I hate what she has turned this show into and I know everyone blames HS, SH et cetera, et cetera but it is ALL HER. And like the coward that she is, she lets others take the blame for it. If I were the actors and the writers I would start looking for other jobs. Ahhh...Billy Miller, don't try to stay, run far far away!! :lol:

As for CBS, I am sure internally the people who have to manage the soaps are fighting with even their own boss to keep said soaps alive.

• Members

As long as MAB is still in charge of writing (oh wait, I doubt if she does a lot of that :lol: ), I highly doubt Y&R could become the Y&R that we used to love. I do not believe that the Y&R of old will entice new viewers to watch soaps anyway and that is actually what the network wants. A new type of audience that doesn't cost as much to feed and maintain lol.

Getting big name stars from other soaps won't work either because all that is is just trying to get viewers who watch that star from another soap to watch..and then after a while they will get bored as well when they get a whiff of MAB's skills. :lol: THis is sort of covering up a bad sore with a flimsy bandaid. As for Y&R moving to primetime that also could work as long as MAB is not writing and the show is on once a week. The poor writing and execution of s/ls, and the shoddy running of this show is so bad..I can't find the words to describe it. And the saddest part of all is just seeing the actors pretend like everything is just so fine and dandy. This must be a disconcerting feeling for them seeing AMC & OLTL cancelled.

Archived