What is the future of the Daytime Emmy Awards?

RalphOrtiz

• Members

Seriously. Today we hear the very sad news that both AMC and OLTL are cancelled. What does this mean for the future of the Daytime Emmy Awards?

Audience numbers for the telecast have been steadily declining over the past several years, in part due to declining soap ratings. After January 2012, there will only be four soaps on the air (and who knows what'll happen between now and January). Soaps have always been the major reason viewers tune in, to watch their favorite performer win or their favorite show win.

Now that fewer soaps will be featured, I wonder how it'll work itself out? Will the major categories be best talk show? Best game show? Best children's show?

Ugh.

I can't even imagine watching a daytime emmy broadcast without any soap opera nominations.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC and OLTL will still be eligible for the 2012 awards. OLTL will still be eligible for 2013 BUT I feel that this will be the final year of a daytime exclusive broadcast. If any recognition is given it will probably be some sort of small non-televised ceremony.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It will probably go back to being presented during the day and not broadcast, like it was in the early years. And it will lose any cachet, respect and importance it had built up since it started being broadcast at night. As long as there are children's shows and talk shows of some sort run during the daytime, there will be enough to run a Daytime Emmy Award show, but as others said, the soaps were the important awards, and without enough of them or any of them, the show doesn't have enough of a reason to broadcast it. Perhaps some small cable channel will broadcast it for a few years, but at some point, that will end and it will be just an industry show that no one will want to broadcast.

Archived