OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've been on a Shakespeare revival binge lately preparing to see the new Macbeth, and I forgot this was on YT - a 1974 NY Shakespeare Festival production of King Lear, featuring James Earl Jones as Lear, Ellen Holly as Regan, plus Douglass Watson (AW), Rosalind Cash (GH), Lee Chamberlin (AMC) as well as Paul Sorvino, Raul Julia, Rene Auberjonois and on and on - a very impressive cast. Holly appears throughout but if you don't want to look too far, you can definitely find her around 1:13:50:

The symbiotic relationship between the NY soaps and NY theater was a fruitful one for decades and one we are weaker to have lost. @DRW50@SFK @Darn

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes! I did an internal reading of Lear at STC a couple of months ago and I watched this to get reacquainted with the piece. It’s a marvelous, well-cast production. All of the soap connections are heaven.

The first time Miss Holly speaks, I thought of Paul Rauch and found myself getting angry. I tried to quickly shake that off, he wasn’t about to ruin this for me.

• Members

At 0:11, this 2000s rebroadcast of Todd & Blair's 1995 wedding features the modern OLTL theme dubbed over the champagne opening. I remember seeing this during the OLTL finale marathon on SoapNet in 2012.

I can't seem to find any other episodes on the YouTube that use this intro variation, so what is this done for copyright/royalties purposes during the re-broadcast? 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Was that when ABC was all "look, it's costing us a lot of money to make these shows, so we gotta make less episodes, so here have some reruns," and of course most of the reruns were not very exciting? I think that particular OLTL was the only one from more than five years back. I do remember the theme dubbing and us talking about it. I feel as though something like a theme song should be taken into consideration when clearing music rights for the future... I know there are some older sitcoms in the public domain that are released on those super cheap DVD sets with dubbed theme songs (mainly thinking of Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction, but I know there are others), but a soap theme in the 90s?

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Married ... With Children is another one. These are shows with iconic themes, it just isn't right to be stripped of them.

And wow, I had totally forgotten all about that budget mess when they decided to make less episodes. What a dark time, the end was near.

Joan Copeland, Arthur Miller's sister who played Viki's aunt, Gwendolyn Lord Abbott has passed away at 99.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Joan-Copeland-Stage-and-Screen-Actress-and-Sister-of-Arthur-Miller-Dies-at-99-20220104?utm_source=newsletterdaily&utm_medium=email

• 2 weeks later...