OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I thought Moorcliff was where Olympia Buchanan was held captive?

And why did Jenny and Brad live at Llandfair?  I'm trying to think of Jenny's relationship to Vicky and I can't recall why she would invite Jenny to live there; especially with Brad (although he always looked good in tennis shorts). 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I could be wrong, but I believe Dorian named her house around 2003 or 2004. I vaguely recall her being angry about not having Llanfair, or one of her jealous things over Viki, and saying she would call her house La Boulaie. Paul, Melinda's son, gave her a book of French estates as a gift or something. I also remember Viki seeing a plaque Dorian put outside her stating the house had been built in 1899 and going "This house was built in the 1950's, Dorian!"

Dorian was such a great character. I miss her.

• Members

Jacquie Courtney's contract was up in November and Paul Rauch's reign of terror on OLTL began the following August. I have wondered if ABC was already negotiating with Rauch for future employment, when they terminated Courtney's contract, but 9 months seems like a long interim between her firing and his hiring. Maybe the network did not want to let her character get intertwined in the new, major story with Michael Zaslow, knowing that if Rauch were to finalize a deal with the show, they would have to fire Courtney the next year anyway. Who knows? But it was weird for ABC to axe an enormously popular actress, who was in the early stages of a major plot (setting Courtney and Strasser up as romantic rivals again was genius), with the excuse that they had no more story for her. They were already TELLING a story with her. Anyway, all the networks are wont to make baffling, stupid decisions. (Exhibit A: Genie Francis' recent departure from GH. Among all the characters on the Port Charles canvas, Laura would literally be the LAST one I'd get rid of.)

• Members

Jenny and Viki were close friends. Larry was Viki's brother-in-law (she continued to refer to him as family long after her sister/Larry's wife passed away), and Jenny was Larry's second cousin. I don't believe Jenny ever lived at the carriage house with Brad Vernon. I think she lived there with her third husband (after Tim Siegel and Brad), Peter Janssen.

BTW, when Jenny later married David Renauldi, Dorian said, "What is this, her FOURTH marriage? Pretty racy for an ex-nun!"  It was catty but amusing. When Pat Ashley was kidnapped, Dorian was snarky again, "Oh honestly! I don't know what it is about Pat that attracts all these maniacs!" And about aggressive reporter Edwina Lewis, Dorian sniped to Herb Callison: "If there's one thing I cannot stand it's a pushy, manipulate woman!!!" Herb's resulting guffaw was...HILARIOUS!

Speaking of hilarious, Marco Dane once asked Edwina Lewis, "Are you going to talk to Echo about this?"

A distracted Edwina replied, "Echo who...?"

A visibly irritated Marco snapped, "HOW MANY ECHOES DO WE KNOW???"

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Okay, sorry to have floated off onto irrelevant tangents.

Yes, Brad looked good in his tennis shorts, but Johnny Drummond looked even better in his tight jeans. There were many hunks in Llanview way back when: Timmy Siegel, Mark Toland,  Ed Hall, Paul Kendall, Marco Dane, Johnny Drummond, Drew Ralston...talk about love in the afternoon!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

To me, the funniest scene on One Life to Live was when Alex, married to Asa, was pretending to be expecting.   Something had made Asa suspicious that she was not.  They were on their boat, and Asa yanked down the clothes of Alex, revealing a pillow attached to her.

• Members

You're welcome! I should get most of them posted today - they're all recorded, just have to put the videos together.

In some cases, as is the case with OLTL, I think the lyrics were written when the themes were composed for their respective shows. I've come across sheet music for the original OLTL and AMC themes with the lyrics used by NCM included. Some of the recordings don't have lyrics outside of the singers vocalizing the shows' titles, which makes me think they used whatever came with the songs and didn't write their own.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

So the lyrics sung in the AMC theme had been created when the musical score was? I don't remember ever hearing vocals used on the show itself. You would think whoever did write those lyrics would have used Agnes Nixon's “The Great and the Least, The Rich and the Poor, The Weak and the Strong, In Joy and Sorrow, In Tragedy and Triumph, You are ALL MY CHILDREN” 

Anyway, rare finds like this are always a treat.

• Members

That's always been my assumption. Here is a link to piano sheet music for the original AMC theme. You can see that there are some additional lyrics there that are not included in the New Christy Minstrels recording, and there is a short phrase in the NCM recording not included in the sheet music. Looking at the copyright, the sheet music was published in 1985, so I'm not sure what came first.

• Members

When humor is derived from character, it can be quite effective.

Another line that had me giggling was when Asa confronted Viki about her impending divorce from Clint.

An indignant Asa: Have you no respect for the SANCTITY of marriage???

A pissed-off Viki: I will not be lectured to by someone who has been married NINE TIMES!!!!!

Thanks!

• Members

Can someone please tell me how big the Llanfair estate was supposed to be? I recall, maybe in the late 70's or early 80's, Viki inviting Pat Ashley or someone to move in. She said the property had stables, tennis courts, an east wing that had about 12 rooms. I think Dorian was about to be tossed by Clint and Viki at that time.

Years later it seemed the property was much smaller. They always went to the club to play tennis and I don't recall them mentioning stables except that one time.