OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I believe the intent was what we ultimately saw onscreen, that Natalie and Jessica were fraternal twins (and I think that's only if Natalie ended up turning out to be successful as a character and luckily she was), but they added all this nonsense to it like Mitch raping Viki and a bunch of other bullshit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is the first full, so far only, Malone-Era episode I've watched in recent memory (As in, the last time I watched was when they first aired when I was "<5"

WOW!  This is incredible.  Tottaly diffrent from Ron's crap.  I no this isn't the right place to say this but I do wonder why DOOL didnt have MM with Griffith?  I think the show has a strong enough staff team.  It would need a strong EP though.....

• Members

From what I have heard and read in the past, we were supposed to learn that Allison Perkins had switched Jessica and Natalie.  

You know the story: Viki gives birth to Jessica; she and Clint bring Jessica home to Llanfair; Allison, under Mitch's orders, dons the red wig and tight-fitting dress to kidnap the baby while Viki is drugged (again); Allison's mother turns out to have the child, who is rescued and brought back home.  (There's also Maria Roberts' participation, but that's too complicated to explain and beside the point.)

But, in fact, red-haired Natalie was supposed to be Clint and Viki's daughter -- their ONLY daughter -- whom they had brought home from the hospital; and blonde Jessica was Walter and Roxy Balsom's little girl, whom Allison gave to Ruth Perkins, and whom Clint and Viki wound up raising after they THOUGHT they had reunited with their baby.  (Also, I make the point of mentioning Jessica and Natalie's respective hair colors, because that was sort of the reason why they thought of the story.  Pre-kidnapping, newborn Jessica appeared on screen as a redhead; after the kidnapping, however, she was blonde.)

Like I said, that was how Gary Tomlin, Lorraine Broderick and Christopher Whitesell's story was supposed to go (...allegedly); and while I can't recall offhandedly to whom she said this, I think Ilene Kristen, when she was hired to play Roxy, was under the same impression.  (Just as she said, years later, that Rex was supposed to be her and Charlie Banks' kid before THAT got changed.)

However, viewers caught onto what Tomlin and his HW's were trying to do with Jessica and Natalie so that's when they began all the crazy rewrites that ended up with Viki giving birth to Jessica AND to Natalie but by different fathers.

Now, if you ask me, I think the whole idea was screwy BEFORE the convoluted rewrites threw us off-track.  First of all, Clint and Viki had to have been pretty damn stupid not to recognize their own daughter when they brought her back home.  Second, you mean to tell me, OLTL, you're gonna build an entire retcon on a baby's hair color?  No doubt, the show had "recast" the infant portraying Jessica without giving hair color a second thought (it's a baby, for God's sake).  But seriously, THAT was the motivation (or justification)?

Edited by Khan

• Members

I was looking through old scans and saw that and it brought it all back. I can't remember if it looked that ridiculous onscreen but it really is like someone superimposed her face onto JFP's. I hated Tea at that point but I had to admire FL for being a trouper...

I think HBS had the same haircut at the time but it sort of suited her more. 

I can't remember if anyone else had that slapped on their head at the time. I imagine Tim Gibbs would have worn it well. 

• Members

They both got them, and they both were paired with two of Jill's top favorite men (one of whom she was sleeping with).

To my recollection, Jill supposedly blamed Florencia for the pairing with Sykes not taking off, and I think had planned to off Téa in some lame storyline with Jared Hall had Roger Howarth not agreed to return.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I doubt it was just that, as they did try to sort of pair him with Ellen Bethea's Rachel that summer while Nora was "dead". But I think as with most performers of color, JFP quickly lost interest in the character. Plus, IIRC Herve Clermont (Jared Hall*) could not act.

* - Jared was allegedly Josh Hall's improbably fully-grown son.

Edited by Vee