OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It seems literally everyone at the show, from Ellen Holly to Erika Slezak and Bob Woods, hated him except for Joe Stuart. IIRC Morgan Freeman was also in the mix for the role, while I think Holly said she lobbied for her friend J.A. Preston (from Hill Street Blues, among other things) to get it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

So many other actors would have been great in this part, and made the character interesting/likeable/a success. The one they ended up choosing was just repulsive. I wonder how much the choice was a case of Joseph Stuart wanting to demean Ellen Holly. I'll never forget him asking Jacquie Courtney to take photos with him cutting the cake at the show's 10th Anniversary, when such an honor should have gone to original cast members like Holly and Lillian Hayman. And what was Courtney thinking? The graceful thing would have been to redirect the cake cutting to someone who had been with the series since its inception.

• Members

Maybe the late Jacquelijne Courtney did not care for Ellen Holly.

I remember that Ms. Holly, shortly after Carla's wedding to Dr. Jack Scott, saying that they had either been #1 or #2 in the ratings for that week.   She said that Ms. Courtney told her, "I guess that you think you're the reason for these ratings."

I cannot look into Ms. Courtney's brain, but I think that her dislike of Ms. Holly may have been real.    I know that many people who saw her when she moved to Mississippi said that she had a nasty attitude and hated being recognized.

• Members

That was Kathy Glass, not Jacquie Courtney, who made the remark to Ellen Holly about the ratings. Holly recounts the story in her autobiography.

When JC moved to Mississippi, she said she was unnerved and physically intimidated by total strangers rushing up to her on the street, swinging her around, and grabbing her. She acknowledged it made her aggressive and defensive. TBH, I'd lose my patience very quickly upon being mandhandled, too, particularly if I were with my child.

I have no idea what Courtney felt about Holly; she never said anything against her publicly as far as I know, but Holly has made her disdain for Courtney, for Slezak, etc., well known over the years.

I tend to believe JC's cutting the anniversary cake with JoeStuart was a spur-of-the-moment decision; he called her up to do it with him. I wonder if she would have agreed if she had been approached about it privately beforehand, and had had time to consider "the politics" involved.

Yes, Courtney and Stuart were an item for a period of time.

• Members

I hope this isn't seen to be off topic, even though it is a little tangential. One of my favorite videos from 1975 is a Tomorrow Show about soaps. Up on dailymotion. Tom Snyder the host of course. Agnes Nixon. Mary Stuart. Joe Stuart then maybe still at the DOCTORS, not sure, and a woman who was the first to do an email service with daily recaps of all the soaps. Great fun to watch! It's the youngest I've seen of Agnes Nixon & they were treating the topic seriously, too.

• Members

I don't have a problem retiring words and expressions that offend people but to be clear, the origins of "gone south" have nothing to do with condescension towards the American South.

Etymology is either, according to dictionaries, simply because south is downwards on a map/compass (hence go south meaning the same thing as going downhill) or because it is a euphemism for death in some Native American languages.