OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think REG doesn't give herself enough credit. Vange was already loved before she got tossed into the vortex that was Gnatalie and McBain. 

What was even more infuriating was that the one pairing that popped, Todd/Evangeline, the TPTB nixed it for Todd/Blair's toxic round #1000. I thought she and Trevor has stellar chemistry. 

• Members

I've made no secret that I don't think the writing for Evangeline worked in any of those couples or storylines - she was sainted and sanctimonious to me, and Higley very clearly favored her over Natalie who she dragged through the streets daily in the scripts even after the end of the triangle - but I never denied the chemistry with the men, and I always liked Renee a lot. It was the execution I thought was so saccharine, especially with the increasingly creepy and vile TSJ Todd who would go from giggling about rape to wanting to do, like, jazz flute with Van.

I think the Evangeline that was originally conceived, but didn't take off, was a more interesting character: An extremely ambitious, cunning lawyer who would defend anyone. I was extremely excited when the casting notice in late '02/early '03 went out because it smacked of Malone's influence as he returned to the show; I couldn't wait for both to show up. But that character didn't go anywhere for a year, which is something Renee has discussed in print before, and then they put her with John and Van changed for good.

As I've said before though, all of that is irrelevant to what I didn't fully recognize at the time and what would be unthinkable today: They had a Black female at the center of the key interracial love triangle on the show, and she was very heavily pushed as a lead heroine. That would not happen on ABC Daytime today; it's something they're still seemingly gunshy about fully doing with Trina on GH as a teen character. It would not happen on any other surviving American soap today. That's hugely important however I feel about how Evangeline turned out, and it's sad to say we've regressed. I took for granted it could happen with a better pairing and what I personally felt was a better Black character (and that Van could be retooled as well) but the truth is Evangeline was the exception to the rule.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I found this Marvelous Channel who's Posting 1986 Compilations, Today's Includes Cord's Introduction! Not sure about Maria yet

Hopefully Judith Barcroft's VIKI will Pop Up soon

Please register in order to view this content

I Don't Think So

• Members

Come on now @slick jones you know that both Ron & Frank would both be able to remember that Llanfair doesn't have a "d", and Viki doesn't have a "c", two facts for which I require your consistent corrections.

Please register in order to view this content

Besides that I would much rather go to the annual 4th of July Abbott pool party but Brad's not around to wear his annual speedo anymore

Edited by j swift