OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

To @Vee's point, certainly one of the pitfalls of any socially relevant story would be the writing.

It is rare that soaps allow alternative viewpoints, without vilifying the character with the unpopular opinion.  For example, in response to a school shooting it would seem in-character for a law-and-order guy like Bo to want to arm the school security officers.  But, it is also predictable that Nora would oppose it and only her opinion would seem reasonable.

There would also most likely be no discussion of other characters past use of weapons, like how Vicki was able to obtain a gun during certain murder mysteries despite her history of mental illness. Or the comedic manor in which Asa's threats of violence had been used in the past.

However, I think we agree that despite the artistic failings of certain writers, it is an appropriate and useful story to tell.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Out of all the formats to dramatize the lead-up to, event and aftermath of a school shooting, I think a soap opera would be the most suitable. What would need to happen, however, is near-complete trust in the storytelling. Nothing ever goes completely as planned, but you would need a long-range plan and the commitment to ensure that little or nothing is getting skipped. You've also got to look holistically, including what @j swift mentioned, having characters confront each other about their opinions. This is not a storyline that's over and done within two weeks. It has to matter.

(Oh, Agnes Nixon or Doug Marland, where are you when we need you?)

• Members

This got me thinking about two other topics.

1).  Although it was not top of mind 20 years ago, it is a missed opportunity that there were not more consequences of Vicki's mental illness.  It seemed obvious that they would explore the genetic predisposition with the Jessica storyline (which was offensively inaccurate in hindsight).  Yet, Joey and Kevin were totally exempt from any emotional illnesses, not even a six-week period of depression, which would have been six times more likely given Vicki's thought disorder.  Also, Vicki was the CEO of a large publishing company, and I don't recall anyone challenging her competency.  She made many rash decisions, including "escaping" to Texas to work in a diner, and yet nobody suggested that she needed further treatment.  She went through many more traumas including the deaths and divorce, and not once was it suggested that she seek therapy or utilize psychotropic medications.  Instead, the treatment of mental illness was still portrayed as evil sanitariums where doctors would forcibly subdue their patients with shots from huge needles.  And yet, even a vet like Brody didn't need to care about insurance coverage to pay for his long term hospitalization.

2). I was trying to think of a list of all of the OLTL heroines who killed someone, most often in self-defense.  Nora killed Colin (no gun, just pushed him down the stairs), Vicki killed Johnny Hesser (gun), Dorian thought she killed Mitch (a hotel lamp was the fatal weapon), Cathy Craig murdered her drug dealer (gun), Rachel killed Georgie (gun),  Blair shot Max (gun).

Help me out if you can think of other characters or event in which guns were used for self-defense.   Because, in retrospect, the number of times that guns were glamorized as a weapon of empowerment for victimized women really needs a second assessment.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Viki (which is how her name is spelled) did undergo major therapy in 1995-1997. Her heading off to Paris, Texas was not depicted in any way as a psychotic break or mental illness crisis. She took a leave of absence from her job, told the family she was on vacation and went off to find herself.

There's always more the show could've done, but they played her DID out more than once.

• Members

As a long time horrible speller, you have to forgive my errors on names,  I just recently committed to memory that Llanfair doesn't include a "d" (thanks to Slick Jones)

And while I agree that they went back to the DID well a few times, and she got some therapy, I think what was missing were the issues of how a person with a serious history of mental illness needs to prove their competency throughout their life.

Edited by j swift

• Members

In the late 80's version of the Viki/Niki story, around the time of the discovery of secret room and Tina's paternity, (not to be confused with the later Jean Randolph period, or the time when Niki hooked up with Vinny Wolek) what do you think was the writer's logic around the purchase of the red wig. 

Obviously for dramatic purposes the wig was meant to visually indicate to the audience which personality was in charge.  However, given that Viki was unaware of Niki, does this mean that Niki bought the wig?  And did Niki buy it for aesthetics or to hide the fact that she looked like Viki?

How did Viki not notice that she had bought a wig?  Did Niki rip it off as soon as she felt the change coming?  Or, did Viki ever wake up in the wig?  Was it all done in cash?  And is a wig all that is necessary for one of the richest and most powerful women in town to go undercover (like Clark Kent and his glasses)?

I'd bet that Jean Randolph's penchant for Armani suits really ran up Viki's credit limit at Saks.  And which personality showed up for the fittings? Was it the same one that went to the optometrist to buy those glasses?  Or hired the contractor to make the cell for Dorian in the secret room?

I know we're not meant to question these parts of the plot, but isn't that half the fun of discussing these stories decades later?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Shhhh...you can't question such things.

Niki bought the wig. She bought it for fun. Viki never woke up in the wig because Niki didn't sleep with it on.

Jean didn't have to do a fitting, Viki's worn a pantsuit once or twice in her life. Jean's glasses were purely to complement her look.

• Members

I realize that this is very belated, but I wanted to apologize for the way I upset some SON members back when the AMC/OLTL cancellations and reboots happened. I do want to say that I really haven't changed the way I feel about the cancellations and reboots. Thus, I still think the reboots (while OK) weren't anything great, that they were unlikely to succeed due to the fact a large time period elapsed between their debut and the final ABC episodes (which meant the reboots were probably going to have trouble attracting casual viewers of AMC & OLTL), and that there were unethical businessmen who were taking advantage of the situation for their own financial gain (e.g., the people who ran Prospect Park and the executives at Hoover, the latter being a company which I believe never did anything to help AMC & OLTL when the reboots actually were airing). From a business standpoint, I can still understand why AMC & OLTL were cancelled. For reasons most know, the AMC cancellation was the easier decision for ABC to make, and the less controversial one at the time. The OLTL cancellation was extremely controversial due to its being in better financial/budgetary shape and due to its very impressive rise in the ratings after the cancellation announcement was made. However, I can understand why ABC cancelled it due to its lackluster ratings during the few years preceding the cancellation. Of course, because of OLTL's post-cancellation rise in the ratings, ABC should have reversed its decision and uncancelled the show. This last point was one I seldom mentioned, and I am sorry about that. (However, it is possible that ABC did want to reverse its decision to cancel OLTL but couldn't because of contractual obligations it had already made with Prospect Park.)

As is evident from what I wrote in the above paragraph, I'm not apologizing for the way I felt (and still feel) about the cancellations and reboots (because nobody should apologize for his or her sincerely held opinions). What I am truly sorry about is the fact that I went on ad nauseum about the topic. (I should have stated my feelings on the subject a few times, at most, and then moved on to discussing other things.) My behavior upset a good number of posters and showed a real lack of sensitivity as so many were mourning the loss of both shows. For what it's worth, I've probably watched OLTL more than any other non-P&G soap. The show had many positives, and it is very regrettable that its demise meant the extinction of NYC soap operas. I was (and still am) critical of the Cartini era, but the mistakes they made could have been fixed simply by firing them.

Edited by Max

• Members

May be an image of one or more people and text

This is a Neil Holland film.    He played Danny Woleck on One Life to Live.   His parents, Richard and Suzanne Holland, wrote A World Apart, All My Children, and General Hospital on ABC.  Richard Holland, his father, also acted on The Guiding Light and As the World Turns (as Donald Hughes #2).

i