AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

English Tea - partially, yes. There are three of us collecting episodes and clipping them.

I asked a few pages back, but I guess you missed it - is the AMCThroughTheYears channel yours? It's very Brooke-centered, and I know you're a big fan of the character. If it is and you are looking for anything from 1999-2000, let me know because there's a good change I have it, and I'd be interested in trading for other 90s Erica clips.

• Members

That's still one of the funniest things I've ever seen on daytime. AMC was of such a specific piece in its heyday, and they could get away with that stuff because they were both socially conscious and still loving to their most eccentric and incorrect or dysfunctional characters. I was so glad to see that spirit return to the show last year.

Edited by Vee

• Members

^ Eh, I didn't care for the gay storyline in the 90s because it centered around new characters we barely knew. The Bianca coming out story was far more powerful, IMHO, because it was a legacy character, the daughter of the most famous soap opera character ever, coming out as gay, and staying on as a major character without being a victim of a hate crime or losing her job or being discriminated against for being gay. Yes, the mid-90s gay story did break some ground in daytime, and it opened the door for the Bianca story, but it wasn't really must-see TV for me. It's similar to the Zarf/Zoe story for me in that it was the new outsider who was "different" from everyone else, as opposed to characters I already knew and liked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Actress Rosemary Murphy played Maureen, the mother of Mark Dalton, on All My Children. (She was one of two actresses in the role, and I think that she was the first one).

She also played Nola Hollister #2 on The Secret Storm and Sam Fowler's mother on Another World.

(CNN) -- Rosemary Murphy, an Emmy Award-winning actress, has died. She was 89

Murphy died Saturday night at her home in Manhattan, her agent confirmed to CNN. The New York Times cited cancer as the cause of death.

Murphy was known for her film role as Miss Maudie Atkinson in the 1962 classic "To Kill a Mockingbird." Murphy played the neighbor to widower and lawyer Atticus Finch, played by Gregory Peck.

In 1976, it was Murphy's portrayal of Sara Delano Roosevelt, the mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in the ABC television movie "Eleanor and Franklin" that earned her an Emmy. The following year she was nominated for another Emmy when she reprised her role as Roosevelt for the sequel, "Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years."

Murphy also appeared on Broadway receiving Tony nominations for roles in 1960's "Period of Adjustment" as the wife of a Korean War veteran; as Dorothy Cleaves, a wife who finds out about her husband's infidelity in "Any Wednesday" and in "A Delicate Balance," where she played an alcoholic named Claire.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" now an e-book

She continued to work in television, portraying the mother of presidents. In the 1984 mini-series "George Washington" Murphy played Mary Ball Washington, the mother of the nation's first president. She also portrayed Rose Kennedy, the mother of President John F. Kennedy, in 1991's "A Woman Named Jackie."

Her later TV credits include the long-running soap operas, "The Young and the Restless" and "As the World Turns." According to IMDB, one of Murphy's last roles was for the film "The Romantics" with Katie Holmes, Anna Paquin and Josh Duhamel.

Murphy's survivors include a sister, Mildred Pond.

• Members

Danfling, in response to an earlier post, I believe Cynthia Ewing may be the name of Linc's romantic interest in 78-79. From an archived French Fan post Look into the Past from JonMichael Reed's column Jun 79, she was a former flame of Linc. This may be the Fern Fitzgerald character.