• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think AMC really erred in putting couples together based on their off-screen romances. Haley and Mateo should have split LONG ago. Edmund and Maria weren't nearly as interesting to me as Edmund and Brooke. Jamie and Babe were a snoozefest compared to JR and Babe. I was so thrilled that Edmund and Brooke FINALLY got back together, only to have it completely trashed for Maria's return, as if they were some epic lovefest just because the actors were together. Then of course, if the couple breaks up, you have the inevitable mess with them NOT wanting to work together, and you get crap like Maria's return and the trashing of Edmund's character only to have him unceremoniously written off. What a waste.

• Members

I think Maria and Edmund were reunited because they were popular with fans, but the problem with this is they'd been popular in a very different era of AMC. I thought reuniting them was a big mistake - assuming you can just go back is always a mistake. And they'd pretty much sucked in their last few years before ELC left - did they do anything beyond Maria weeping and Edmund grabbing her arm?

• Members

And yet TPTB continue to do it. I watched GH last week, solely for the pleasure of seeing Rachel Ames again. I could not believe the storylines that today's fans find so fresh and re-energizing. Helena held Laura and Luke hostage on The Haunted Star and was then killed. How many times has Helena held Luke and Laura hostage and then appeared to die already? Robin is presumed dead but has been kidnapped. LuLu is presumed dead but has been kidnapped. Ethan had disappeared but was actually kidnapped. Stavros was presumed dead but returned and died again. Seriously? People wonder why GH has such low viewership. Perhaps if every plotline was not identical and had not been rehashed ad nauseum, they might get a bigger audience. I am all for utilizing vets and nods to history that are used in fresh, meaningful ways, but revisiting the "Cassadine Curse" every other year is completely unnecessary. Sadly, AMC did the exact same thing with their super couples.

• Members

I don't disagree that Maria and Edmund were popular, but the writers seemed to forget so were Brooke and Edmund... and since Brooke lost Edmund the first time to Maria, it wasn't going to sit well that she would lose him again to Maria.

I think one of the big reasons that Edmund and Maria worked the first time was because all three characters were played simply as good people who found themselves in a triangle, and tough (but never easy) choices had to be made so they could all move on with their lives.

Finally, the story was written to make Brooke a villain, but JB played it so well that the audience felt sorry for Brooke, and Edmund came off as an ass.