EW: DAYS To Attempt Gay Storyline?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's why I don't think DAYS should call any extra attention to it. If Chad hooks up with another dude, let them be treated like any other supercouple (w/ the added twist, of course, that Stefano hires some girl to be impregnated w/ Chad's sperm - don't ask me how it's extracted - to ensure the future of the DiMera bloodline). Otherwise, it'll just look foolish.

• Members

In response to a question about controversial storyline ideas on her facebook page, former Days HW Sheri Anderson revealed that she had pitched a gay romance storyline in the early 80s, which got rejected. Taken from her facebook page,

"There are a number of stories pitched, but the only two I recall having been shot down were a story involving a romance born of a character needing a green card and marrying for that reason, and then building a heartbreaking love story, and a gay storyline in the early 80s. I was truly disappointed by both as one involved a love story born of necessity, the other timely and highly romantic. But as both had elements of controversy, they were rejected. These are the types of stories I like to dig my teeth into!"

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=124096267611059&topic=96

It's interesting from her answer is that Sheri's main approach to this storyline would have been to tell a romantic love story instead of trying to craft it in order to make headlines. Just imagine if there was more of an acceptance of the LGBT community in the 80s and this storyline was approved and successful, there might have been a gay supercouple. I wonder what their Marty Davich composed theme would have sounded like.

• Members

I could understand the gay romance being vetoed, but what was/is so "controversial" about the other one, the one involving one character's getting hitched for the sake of a green card? Did it involve mail-order brides or something?

Archived